Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Super Mario 3D Land Review
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Jarrod




Status: Offline
Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 8284
$poons: 369.60
Location: Preston
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:49 am Post subject: Super Mario 3D Land Review Reply with quote

Super Mario 3D Land Review by Jarrod
3DS Review: Dressing up as your favourite furry animal never felt so right.
[View Article]

Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
theory
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

Status: Offline
Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 9112
$poons: 1275.00
Location: Melbourne
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Nice review. I love this game very much.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Benza




Status: Offline
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 14586
$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
1

Vote:
admeister
Quote:
if there's any guarantee one can give it's that if you buy a Nintendo platform, you will get a Super Mario Bros. game eventually.

N64, Gamecube, Gameboy classic, advanced, DS.

Only mario related game I ever owned was Mario is Missing edutainment for the PC.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
sobriquet835




Status: Offline
Joined: 07 Jan 2009
Posts: 2369
$poons: 3.20
Location: Melbourne
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
2

Vote:
topaz
theory
Article, first line wrote:
Where Nintendo would be without they're flagship franchise, the Super Mario Bros.


Sorry, but this has been annoying me. It should be "their".

Anyway, nice review. it looks like I will have to get this if I decide to pick up a 3DS, as well as Mario Kart. Sure, they're not original games, but Nintendo's strength is polish, not originality (in terms of software).
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
theory
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

Status: Offline
Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 9112
$poons: 1275.00
Location: Melbourne
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
3

Vote:
topaz
Cody Giunta
Benza
Benza wrote:
Only mario related game I ever owned was Mario is Missing edutainment for the PC.


In my opinion, any gamer who hasn't played all the best games starring MARIO IS MISSING a lot of good times. icon_wink.gif
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Benza




Status: Offline
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 14586
$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
I've played them, I just thought they were shit and never wanted to buy em.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
DancesInUnderwear




Status: Offline
Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 5194
$poons: 9.00
Location: radelaide
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Benza wrote:
I've played them, I just thought they were **** and never wanted to buy em.


Next time somebody tries to tell me an opinion cannot possibly be wrong, I am going to show them this post.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
BigBoss




Status: Offline
Joined: 08 Apr 2011
Posts: 120
$poons: 5.60


PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Looking forward to buying this in a few weeks. Sounds fantastic as always. I wonder when we all will grow bored of Mario? I dont think future generations will lap it up like those of us who started on the NES.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
WarAdept




Status: Offline
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 496
$poons: 62.50
Location: Sydney
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
2

Vote:
admeister
RooRage
If my younger brothers and their friends are anything to go by, it's all about CoD/BF and Assassin's Creed, with dollops of Minecraft and League of Legends nowadays. I've tried making them play games like Dark Souls, Skyward Sword and Super Mario 3D Land, but they play for a total of 2 mins before declaring that they're bored.

I guess the next generation is generally only interested in things that provide multiplayer or deliver a cinematic experience.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
rankodour




Status: Offline
Joined: 09 Nov 2005
Posts: 627
$poons: 81.00

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
1

Vote:
G3ck0
Super Mario 3D Land is my game of the year so far.

Yep, Skyrim is great, and I'll find out about Skyward Sword soon enough, but the polish of SM3DL just blows me away and it's FUN too!
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
BigBoss




Status: Offline
Joined: 08 Apr 2011
Posts: 120
$poons: 5.60


PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
WarAdeptI have the same problem with my cousins, unless its popular and the 'latest thing' they think its rubbish and won't play it out. Their loss on super mario land 3d. New generation is forever hooked on $10 dollar maps.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Benza




Status: Offline
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 14586
$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I don't get the whole "These young gamers don't like the same games as I do, they're missing out!" mentality.

It's stupid and ridiculously arrogant on your part. I mean I grew up playing games on MS Dos like commander keen, Jill of the Jungle etc and I'd still rather play Assassins Creed then Mario.

The 'kids these days' aren't missing out on anything. Because they're playing the games that they enjoy. That isn't a bad thing.

I mean fuck trying to convince your younger brother to play a game like Dark Souls and complaining that they don't like it? Really? Did you ever think that maybe a game famous for being ridiculously hard and unforgiving isn't for everyone?
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
fireflybck




Status: Offline
Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 39
$poons: 3.00


PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
I had a quick go of it at JB hifi yesterday. I still won't buy the system - mainly because I can't afford it. But I eally enjoyed this and the 3d works really well. I also preferred this to the Mario 64 and galaxy because the scale of the levels was smaller than Mario 64(which I felt was large and sparse) but less confusing/convoluted than Mario Galaxy. Each platform Mario was on was like a mini puzzle or activity.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
rankodour




Status: Offline
Joined: 09 Nov 2005
Posts: 627
$poons: 81.00

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
1

Vote:
admeister
I think the whole "young generation missing out" argument isn't so much about forcing them to play old style / hardcore games, but rather how some people don't give any other game a chance if it isn't COD or whatever. It happens all the time in any form of media, and it usually takes maturity to overcome.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Gamesta




Status: Offline
Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 3636
$poons: 548.70
Location: SA
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Hopefuly my mum gets this as I asked for it for a present and sis is going to get me Mario Kart 7.



DancesInUnderwear wrote:
Benza wrote:
I've played them, I just thought they were **** and never wanted to buy em.


Next time somebody tries to tell me an opinion cannot possibly be wrong, I am going to show them this post.


That actually made me lol. Not like all those other times where I "lol"but in fact all I did was smile icon_lol.gif


Benza wrote:
I've played them, I just thought they were **** and never wanted to buy em.


After I wash your mouth out with soap go stand in the corner and think about what you just said icon_razz.gif
_________________
Welcome to the internet. Where any joke can turn into WWIII.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Frozencry




Status: Offline
Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 9277
$poons: 1628.10
Location: Sydney
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
2

Vote:
admeister
Benza
rankodour wrote:
I think the whole "young generation missing out" argument isn't so much about forcing them to play old style / hardcore games, but rather how some people don't give any other game a chance if it isn't COD or whatever. It happens all the time in any form of media, and it usually takes maturity to overcome.


There is being blatantly retarded with fanboyism (like console or PC nutters refusing to play games on specific platforms regardless of quality), then there's just lack of interest really.

I don't think you need to be mature to suddenly show interest in titles such as Mario, Dark Souls etc. It really comes down to what the person wants and if CoD really is what they want (as sad as it may seem to a hardcore gamer), then as long as they're happy really.

I can spend years trying to convince someone that Quake is a far more rewarding game than CoD will ever be, but if they dislike it then they dislike it.
_________________

Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Benza




Status: Offline
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 14586
$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
1

Vote:
ThunderCurls
rankodour wrote:
I think the whole "young generation missing out" argument isn't so much about forcing them to play old style / hardcore games, but rather how some people don't give any other game a chance if it isn't COD or whatever. It happens all the time in any form of media, and it usually takes maturity to overcome.


I've gotta ask, how many games do you completely dismiss right off the bat without playing or reading reviews for them?
I have never played Disgea, I will never play Disgea, I don't like isometric turn based strategy games. They bore me. This isn't a lack of maturity, this isn't 'not giving something a chance' it's just my personal taste. Just like even if that Jack and Jill movie had 100% on rotten tomatoes I still wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole cause I don't want to see a fucking Adam Sandler movie.

If someone doesn't enjoy 3D performers, why the fuck would you want them to play Mario? Assuming that everyone will like a game that you like, just cause you think it's awesome is completely arrogant. Your taste is not a concrete measure of quality.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
BigBoss




Status: Offline
Joined: 08 Apr 2011
Posts: 120
$poons: 5.60


PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
1

Vote:
Jaws
Benza, i think people are talking about a situation in which they know the person quite well and believe they would honestly love the game if given a chance but can't pry MW3/MW2/HALO/ whatever is being hugely advertised at the time, from the console. Calm down, your argument while valid is not quite what people are posting about here. You may sit down with your best friend or partner because they suggested jack and jill. Of course I guess there a chance your someone who might not do something because you don't want to even though its with someone you connect with. But most people would accept this type of social interaction.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
admeister




Status: Offline
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Posts: 13918
$poons: 982.80
Location: Melbourne
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Is is possible to grow out of the Mario series? Because I think that's what happened to me after Mario Galaxy. I bought Mario Galaxy 2, but never finished it (sorry Jarrod and DIU), and I find myself with no interest in Super Mario 3D Land.

That only applies to the main series though, I still plan to buy Mario Kart 7.
_________________


"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty." - Fact Sphere.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Benza




Status: Offline
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 14586
$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
1

Vote:
admeister
Quote:
You may sit down with your best friend or partner because they suggested jack and jill.

No the thing is my girlfriend or best friend wouldn't suggest that to me because they know me well enough to know my disdain for anything Adam Sandler (With obvious exceptions made for Bulletproof, Billy Maddison, Happy Gillmore, Airheads and Punch Drunk Love)

Just like I'm not going to suggest that me and the missus go see Step up 3: The step uppening, because I know she doesn't share my love for crappy dance movies.

People have specific tastes of things they like. If you're friend loves Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare 3, Halo, Battlefield 3, etc etc. What part of that taste indicates that he's gonna wanna play Mario? What single shred of similarity does Mario have to those games?

If you want to introduce your cousin, little brother etc to other games other then the standard fare that they play, why in gods name are you going to try something the polar opposite of what they play and enjoy? If the argument had been "Oh my little brother only plays Modern Warfare and Halo, he wont even try Bulletstorm or Serious Sam" then you might have an argument.

What's basically happening is your little brother loves Die Hard, and you see "Oh he watches movies, he should love How to Tame your Dragon since that's a movie!" that doesn't work. They may both be equally good (Although Die Hard 1 is better obviously) but they're not even remotely similar other then the medium.

I seriously can't understand the logic here, I mean you don't see someone playing and enjoying Heavy Rain and go "Oh shit, I bet they'd love Street Fighter 4" because that line of thinking is fucking retarded so why does it apply to Mario games?
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Karai Pantsu
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

Status: Offline
Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Posts: 10109
$poons: 29.06
Location: Melbexico
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
1

Vote:
theory
Finally got my copy and started playing. I am in love. Nintendo, why did you leave me with a useless 3DS up until now? WHY? Now I never want to be away from it or this game ever again.

There may be a small amount of hyperbole in there, but the fact remains that this game (despite the lame title) is pure joy smooshed into a cart.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Cyph




Status: Offline
Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 3977
$poons: 716.80
Location: Perth, WA
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Maybe it's the kind of game that looks great in motion, cause those screenshots don't look that impressive...
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Karai Pantsu
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

Status: Offline
Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Posts: 10109
$poons: 29.06
Location: Melbexico
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
It looks like SMG in motion - only tinier, tailier, and smattered with oldschool Mario love.

There's a little bit of jaggy action, but I find that I'm too busy enjoying the game to pay it much notice.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
G3ck0




Status: Offline
Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 7516
$poons: 3.80
Location: Brisbane
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
The graphics are definitely great, probably the best on the console, I've found you can't judge 3DS games by pictures online. And yeah, there is a fair bit of jaggies, but if you're noticing them while playing, you're doing something wrong!
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Ciel




Status: Offline
Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 1343
$poons: 514.40
Location: Melbourne
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
I only bought this cause I really enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. on the DS, and I figured this would the next iteration in the franchise.

I wouldn't say I'm waiting for a Mario game to trip up so I can just drop that franchise, but if Nintendo keeps making Mario fun, I'll keep buying and playing it.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Display posts from previous:
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Page 1 of 4


Jump to: 
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum