Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Review
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Adam Guetti

$poons: 45.40

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:08 am Post subject: Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Review Reply with quote

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Review by Adam Guetti
360 Review: Ten years on, we put Master Chief through his paces all over again.
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Bronze

$poons: 164.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
skrob73
No mention of the stereoscopic 3D support?

One of the cooler features of the remake, imo.

$poons: 8.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ThunderCurls
Esposch
No blood gulch. Almost immediately drops a point for me.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hyper the Metroid

$poons: 56.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
The way that multiplayer was delivered disappointed me quite a bit. I would have really preferred that multiplayer receive the exact same treatment that the campaign received. Seriously, when the game was announced, I was beyond excited for the opportunity to have 3v3 warthog battles on Sidewinder again, with updated graphics and the original gameplay engine. Instead, we got a Halo Reach map pack with only 4/6 maps from the original Halo CE disc (not counting Timberland).

$poons: 8.80
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jellyfish
"It might not deal with terrorists or modern combat" and thank f#$k for that, I play games to escape not be constantly reminded what a screwed & sorry state the human race finds itself in todays 'real' world.

Looking forward to opening this pressie on xmas day, hopefully the freezing glitch you mentioned in the review is patched by then!! Now back to Skyrim...

$poons: 62.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ThunderCurls
fupoisme
First paragraph is hilarious. Having a go about Battlefield and Call of Duty's (deserved) cash cow status, then lauding a RE-RELEASE that has spawned an endless supply of mostly mediocre money-grubbing tie-ins.

I'm hoping you were being ironic.

Having said that, really enjoying playing this again in split screen.
fupoisme

$poons: 9.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
skrob73
mrpookles wrote:
First paragraph is hilarious. Having a go about Battlefield and Call of Duty's (deserved) cash cow status, then lauding a RE-RELEASE that has spawned an endless supply of mostly mediocre money-grubbing tie-ins.

I'm hoping you were being ironic.

Having said that, really enjoying playing this again in split screen.

He was comparing the current landscape with the one ten years ago, noting that it was Halo that truly popularised First-Person Shooters on consoles.
Jellyfish

$poons: 22.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:01 pm Post subject: Re: Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Review Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
skrob73
G3ck0
Adam Guetti wrote:
With no map or compass in sight, it will be a common occurrence to be wandering around some of Anniversary’s levels at a loss of where exactly you’re meant to traverse to next.
It's probably too late now but there is a compass on the assault rifle. It's the little moving arrow on the ammo left counter, according to the original manual (paraphrasing of course), "While there's no north or south on Halo, the Assault Rifle's compass will always point to the strong magnetic field of the gas giant".

Kids these days are used to having everything handed to them... I thought that feature back in the day (I was what, 13?) was pretty clever. I kept the assault rifle on me the entire way through the game just to use the compass. I call that great game design rather than hand holding these "modern" games do, can't wait for another WW2 game where a "massive" feature is that you get to stop in lulls in combat and consult your paper map with a compass and actually have to use your brain to work out where you are with landmarks.
G3ck0

$poons: 3.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
skrob73
Yeah, every time I finish a fight I keep expecting a big marker to pop up saying "GO HERE!", but then it doesn't, and I'm happy. Sure, it's still linear, but at least you have to actually look around a bit and use environmental clues, rather than it completely hand holding you through every level.

Loving the nostalgia of this though, going through about a level a day and it is so much fun. So many memories from this game, and I still remember every level almost perfectly.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
ZNMS

$poons: 185.90
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Quote:
They are all still a blast to play, but those hoping to relieve classic LAN memories on stages like Blood Gulch will be sorely disappointed.

The updated version of Blood Gulch was released last year in Halo: Reach.

Anyway, I'm happy but not overly pleased that the Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary multiplayer maps were included on both the retail disc and via an Xbox LIVE download code.

I believe that 343 Industries should have developed the game using a two disc system as seen in Halo 3: ODST. One disc for the Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary campaign while the second disc contains all of the multiplayer maps for Halo: Reach.

Sure, I had purchased half of the Halo 3 multiplayer maps way before Halo 3: ODST was released, but having all the multiplayer maps on that second Halo 3: ODST disc removed all the confusion. I didn't have to worry about if I had this map or that map. I knew I had everything, I had the complete Halo 3 multiplayer experience.

Due to the manufacturing of Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, I believe there is going to users out there who will get confused.

$poons: 2570.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I loved playing through it again, the animations were fantastic too.

But yeah very sad about the lack of the true original multiplayer... as someone mentioned above, I totally wanted more stupid gravity-defying warthog battles.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
shiraj

$poons: 92.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Loving this - seriously brings back memories.. Was the first game I had played in Australia ... after buying the Halo themed XBOX...

Love the 3d support - and the kinect voice support - cant stop saying classic and remastered when playing ....
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Adam Guetti

$poons: 45.40

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
@ Bronze: I didn't have access to a 3D capable TV for the review, therefore I was unable to test that particular feature out. So with that said I didn't feel right bringing it up or giving a broad opinion with no proof to back myself up with.

@ mrpookles:
fupoisme has nailed it, more a reflective comment than anything else.

@ Jellyfish:
Well done, I cant say I ever noticed that, so thanks! And while I agree with on unnecessary hand-holding being a negative, if you were to drop the rifle for another preference, you would be lost, as many of the levels (especially the alien interiors, are identical room after room. To me that's just poor level design choices. Players don't need to be funneled down a location in the most linear fashion, but by the same token, they shouldn't be wandering around in circles either, because for 90% of gamers, that's not fun.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive