Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
how to get those hundred year old keyborads working ?
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
   -> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikezilla2

$poons: 588.60

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: how to get those hundred year old keyborads working ? Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
icon_lol.gif the keypad on the guest laptop is broken no amount of cleaning will fix it its just busted so i took it in to get a quote not long ago about any who parts still arnt in and so i ended up ordering one of those PS2-USB adptors from deal extreme to plug in to the laptop i can tell the USB side of thnigs work but i cant get windows 7 home premium to tell what type of device it is or even the software to install - the keyboard wich still works perfectly on the old computer is from like 2001 -2002 i could get a $10 USB keyboard but with the parts coming soon theres no point , i thought i had a CD of this liying around some were may have thrown it out tho i found a floppy that happens to match the board its pretty much an old micrsoft keyborad so maybe not ... aka keymastro remember those days ? i hated them !

floppy pretty much says: version2.0.1-33A2 MUL copyright 2002 emprex technologies corp ,

the ID on the back of the board is E5XKB5301 , it also has BTC written there some were

didn't link to the site as id rather not give them any revenue.

what i found was that the drivers i needed were in zip called "9110" problem is those drivers haven't been touched since 05 there very old that and the keyboard still dosnt work

so i was wondering if anyone ether had a pair of drivers that would work or some generic drivers that would work with any keyboard? to just enable basic functions such as typing and alt tabing what not ?

its interesting to say the least as it would be handy for me in the rare event that i would end up trouble shooting stuff like this

cheers guys
icon_smile.gif

$poons: 382.11
nigeria.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mikezilla2
According to this:

Question: My cheap ps/2-USB green or purple adapter is not auto-detected by Windows plug and play and I can’t get it to work. Where can I download the drivers?

Answer: The vast majority of commonly available ps2 to USB converters are simple passive ADAPTERS that simply change the plug shape to match the outlet. These ADAPTERS only function to connect the ps/2 wires to the approximate USB wires. Simple ps/2 to USB adapters do not use specific software drivers.

In general, most users having trouble connecting their keyboard to newer computers are looking for a ps/2 to USB signal CONVERTER. These devices use an integrated circuit (pre-programmed chip) to actively translate the ps/2 keyboard signal and convert it into a USB keyboard signal.

This allows the vintage ps/2 keyboard to be automatically recognized by the operating system as if it were a standard, modern USB keyboard. A well-designed active ps/2 to USB converter will use the built-in operating system drivers for a USB keyboard (for example in Microsoft Windows XP, kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys).

My flickr
i7 930 | 6gb ddr3 Ripjaws 2000 | GTX 560 | 1tb 7200rpm WD |
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
mikezilla2

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Zhou
thx zhou in other words more trouble then its worth cost wise , IR saddened

would be interesting if there was a hack around the adptor i got was like $1.50 from deal extreme

$poons: 382.11
nigeria.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mikezilla2
Either way I think a $10 usb keyboard is going to be less effort and work better than any hacked ps2/usb adapter could icon_razz.gif

My flickr
i7 930 | 6gb ddr3 Ripjaws 2000 | GTX 560 | 1tb 7200rpm WD |
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
mikezilla2

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Zhou wrote:
Either way I think a $10 usb keyboard is going to be less effort and work better than any hacked ps2/usb adapter could icon_razz.gif

lol your not wrong , it was just that i had orderd an adptor ahead of time , when the keys broke i more or less just wanted to try and get it running as a temprey mausre with out buying anything else , laptop should be fixed by next week but if anything ever comes about i would like to konw as it would be pretty handy icon_smile.gif

$poons: 1567.30
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Mike go buy a $10 USB keyboard =)

Steam:grim_one | PSN/Live:najakh | Flickr
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
   -> General Forums, Archive