Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Final Fantasy XIII Preview
Goto page 1, 2 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Toastfarmer

$poons: 517.40
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 am Post subject: Final Fantasy XIII Preview Reply with quote

Final Fantasy XIII Preview by Toastfarmer
PALGN Preview: Every gamer's fantasy?
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
fatpizza

$poons: 348.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
THEMAN
Buttmouth
A good game is a good game, whether it upholds past traditions or not. I'll be buying this day 1.

$poons: 7.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Awesome preview Michael P, sounds like we should all import the japanese version right now! It sounds so import friendly icon_biggrin.gif

Now Playing:
Sonic Generations
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
GreyWolfJai

$poons: 12.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Can't wait! Sounds like a great addition to FF. Looking forward to spending countless hours trying to get the right strategies at the right time.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
fupoisme

$poons: 9.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Island_Wolf
I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'm quickly growing less and less excited for this game. Don't get me wrong, I'll surely buy it on the first day and play the hell out of it, but right now Mass Effect 2 is my most anticipated game.
LeonJ

$poons: 1868.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I'd actually like to know how much the 360 port changed the development of this game. Do we know for certain the linear aspect of the game is from the 360's limitations?

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Cerebral
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 737.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
LeonJ wrote:
I'd actually like to know how much the 360 port changed the development of this game. Do we know for certain the linear aspect of the game is from the 360's limitations?

I don't know what kind of hardware limitations would affect the actual design of a game.

My play-asia affiliate link (I may as well be honest about this)
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
LeonJ

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cerebral wrote:
LeonJ wrote:

I don't know what kind of hardware limitations would affect the actual design of a game.

I remember reading something about the multiple discs being the problem. They had to put all of the side quests and extra missions onto the last disc. This would have been avoided if it was PS3 exclusive...

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Rush152

$poons: 4.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
LeonJ wrote:

However, concerns over a crippled Xbox 360 version are misplaced – of the 38GB of data on the disc, only 8GB is game data, the rest being given over to sumptuous CG movies (see above), leading to the promise that the in-game elements will be “mostly” identical, whilst the movies simply enjoy far lower data rates to compensate, an admittedly dubious consolation.

link

I've read elsewhere that the CG on the 360 is 720p instead of 1080p although it could have just been a rumour.
fatpizza

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cerebral wrote:
LeonJ wrote:

The fact the game is now split into chapters rather than being one big open world is one possibilty. Maybe SE wanted to minimise the amount of disc swapping so they've split the game up and made it more linear in order to accomodate the relative limitations of the DVD format.
Also maybe if the game was PS3 only they could have included both language tracks as there would have been plenty of space on the disc(even though the lip-synching would then be off).

This is all conjecture of course since I didn't design the game, but they're just things that come to mind.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Rush152 wrote:
LeonJ wrote:

However, concerns over a crippled Xbox 360 version are misplaced – of the 38GB of data on the disc, only 8GB is game data, the rest being given over to sumptuous CG movies (see above), leading to the promise that the in-game elements will be “mostly” identical, whilst the movies simply enjoy far lower data rates to compensate, an admittedly dubious consolation.

link

I've read elsewhere that the CG on the 360 is 720p instead of 1080p although it could have just been a rumour.

Well if the movies take up so much space would it be safe to assume they had to limit the amount of game data they put on each disc?

$poons: 9.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Anyone spouting rumours of the game's faults as a result of the 360 port are just angry fanboys.
Karai Pantsu
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 29.06
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
LeonJ wrote:
Cerebral wrote:
LeonJ wrote:

I remember reading something about the multiple discs being the problem. They had to put all of the side quests and extra missions onto the last disc. This would have been avoided if it was PS3 exclusive...

Sounds pretty dubious to me - name another multi-disc JRPG that has had this problem? I can't think of a single one.
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 737.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
fupoisme
Vervain
The game was designed by the majority of the team behind FFX, right? I wouldn't put it past them to design a linear game.

Furthermore I just think it's silly to be presumptuous over what could have been were there not any speculated-though-unconfirmed, theoretical limitations.

My play-asia affiliate link (I may as well be honest about this)
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
JmiYeo

$poons: 154.20
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I highly doubt Squarenix will ever mention if they made any major changes to cater for 360. Having said that, what makes you think that by releasing FFXIII for 360 has anything to do with the game being linear? (LeonJ)

Firstly, I am a "sony fanboi" and I naturally have the mindset that due to 360, alot of contents that are initially designed, are left out. I doubt we'll ever know the truth knowing how SE is like. However, that view of mine is bias and have no grounds for discussion nor merits.

I also don't subscribe to the nonsensical issues about FFXIII being linear. From a picture of a long straight route, turn into some hysterical nonsense about the game being too linear?? FF series apart from XI have always been linear because FF are all storyled games, and there are only ever 1 path to proceed with the story that is being told. You only depart for sidequests or grinding levels. The former is still available but grinding for being higher in levels no longer have any use with the new combat mechanics.

If the argument that it is linear/non-openworld because there is very few towns to explore to have a chat with the locals and no room to roam around the world (till late in the game), I find nothing wrong with it. Again, FFXIII is a storyled game and it is evident right at the start of the game. Story tells about a group of L'cie, who are enemies of humananity. I don't see any sense in visiting towns where your Focus is to bring the downfall of their world and still have them talking and serving you.

While FF have changed significantly over the years with different mechanics and effects, the idealogy of how FF still remains unchange. FF is a game that draws people with stories, supported by mechanics and effects. It doesn't matter if the game is linear or the graphics isn't the best, so long the story is being told and led well to the player. If one isn't the sort of that appreciates a storyline more than mechanics or graphics, then FF isn't the type of game to invest one's time in.

Last edited by JmiYeo on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total
Bloody Tears

$poons: 83.80

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I need to sit with a new battle system before I can come to the conclusion of whether I like it or not, but I’m extremely disappointed with all this talk of linearity. There’s no doubt I’ll pick this up on release and play it to death, but if it’s as straightforward as many are claiming, then that might kill the series for me. Personally speaking, that’s one of the main aspects of any FF – the exploration. As of right now, Lost Odyssey is still the best current-gen JRPG – by a long shot, and I’m not too sure that’ll change come March, regardless of how pretty FF might look.
Vervain

$poons: 0.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cerebral wrote:
The game was designed by the majority of the team behind FFX, right? I wouldn't put it past them to design a linear game.

I was actually just about to comment on exactly the same thing.

They've previously made an extremely linear Final Fantasy game when the hardware they were using was capable of a much more open world, as shown in Final Fantasy 12.

Personally I'd just assume they decided to make a linear RPG again, just like they did with 10.

http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-6u9h.html
Island_Wolf

$poons: 849.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Quote:
Brace yourselves, fanboys: A report in Famitsu (via FinalFantasy-XIII.net) says Final Fantasy XIII be graphically superior on the Playstation 3 compared to the Xbox 360 version, and it’ll sound better, too. That’s because Square Enix will use compressed video and audio on the Xbox 360 in order to fit the game on DVDs, while the Playstation 3’s Blu-ray drive affords a much greater storage capacity and won’t need compression. And even with the compressed assets, FFXIII will still spill onto multiple Xbox 360 DVDs, while the PS3 version is contained on a single, dual-layer Blu-ray disc. Fortunately, only the audiophiles and video nuts among us will notice the difference.
[Link]

For me I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, I already am in love with my move from a CRT tv to HDTV and OMG, it's sooooo cool and anything 720p and over will be just awesomely awesome, compressed or not.

Btw: good thing I got both PS3 and 360, pick and choose the best one and/or the cheapest one!
LeonJ

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I'll see if I can dig up the interview I read a while back. It was sort of in the vein of the GTA 360/PS3 thing, developers talking about the pros and cons of both.

I don't really care, I'm just wondering if there were comprises made to the game.

I'm actually going to buy the 360 version myself simple because if I'm going to spend 100 hours on a console I'd much rather it be the 360 (chat to mates as I play etc).

EDIT - here it is

Quote:
Yesterday, we covered an interview with Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3) producer, Yoshinori Kitase, which had him reassuring fans that FFXIII going multiplatform did not compromise design at all. Today, we have here Kitase talking to GameTrailers, and admitting that the PS3 version has been indeed compromised to "keep both versions of the game identical."

Specifically, the PS3 version will not have the Japanese voices with English subtitles because, well, it can't fit on the Xbox 360 and since they want to be "fair" to both platforms, then they won't put it on the PS3 as well - regardless if it can afford to have the Japanese audio track or not. Which it totally can.

Not only that, but the pacing of the PS3 version will also be affected because of the Xbox 360 version. Analyzed PS3 Center:

When Final Fantasy moved to PlayStation 2, it only ever appeared on 1 DVD. This meant that unlike previous iterations on the original PlayStation, every area within the game could technically be open at any time. In previous games, some areas appeared on some discs, and were closed off in others. The same can even be said for games such as Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360, due to the space constraints of the DVD, the majority of side-quests appeared on the final disc. Final Fantasy XIII will be affected in the same way.

This is not a huge problem if an RPG is 360 exclusive or developed for Xbox 360 first, but if it is meant to be developed on the PS3 first and take advantage of ALL it's features, then it is a problem.

If the game was on a single Blu-Ray disc, it would allow the player to explore many areas, and many side-quests at any time throughout the game. However, due to the DVD limitations of the Xbox 360, the game will be cut up, and many areas you visit at the beginning of the game will most likely not be available towards the end of the game. This may be one of the main reasons that many PS3 fans are looking forward to Final Fantasy Vs XIII more than Final Fantasy XIII, because Versus represents an upgrade in scale whereas Final Fantasy XIII is actually a downgrade from earlier Final Fantasy games in that sense.

Sounds to me like that's quite a compromise right there, Mr. Kitase

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

admeister

$poons: 982.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Bloody Tears wrote:
There’s no doubt I’ll pick this up on release and play it to death, but if it’s as straightforward as many are claiming, then that might kill the series for me. Personally speaking, that’s one of the main aspects of any FF – the exploration.

Are you serious? The only FF game which has any kind of exploration is FFXII, the rest are all about as linear as you can get. FFXIII is simply following the setup of the previous games. I didn't see anyone complaining back when FFX was released, it was a huge success.

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty." - Fact Sphere.
ANDYBALLINA

$poons: 977.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I've decided I will be getting this, as it looks and sounds amazing. I'm glad its linear. There is nothing wrong with linear RPG's, esp if it has a strong story. Having only played abit of FFX, I have to say its been the best FF game for me so far.

I don't get all the fussing about FF13 being linear. I'm not an expert, but aren't JRPG's traditionally linear games? The ones I've played have been.

You want a non linear, open world RPG then try some WRPG. They are best for non linear gameplay IMO.

PSN: ANDYBALLINA1
LeonJ

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ANDYBALLINA
Yeah, I'm actually a fan of linear games anyway. I don't want my FF experience to be like a solo MMORPG (which is what FFXII really was).

Linear = good as FF is all about story, combat and beautifully crafted worlds.

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

redemption

$poons: 139.00

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Haven't been a big fan of what i've seen of XIII, but i gotta say, the combat system sounds ace. Like a reworked version of X-2. Might just give it a look in yet.

$poons: 719.80

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
fatpizza wrote:
A good game is a good game, whether it upholds past traditions or not. I'll be buying this day 1.

Can't wait. Me too. Might take the day off work to play it. heheh..

$poons: 419.60

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Quote:
Apparently, the FFXIII design team created a number of areas that ended up not going into the final product. How much? Enough to create an additional game, according to Kamikokuryou.

Kamikokuryou shared a few locations with the magazine. Apparently, the design team created a full area surrounding Lightning's home. This area resembled a park. There was also a secret base for resistance group Nora inside a shop somewhere. Nautiuls Park, an amusement facility, at one point also included a zoo.

The content was already running on actual PS3 hardware, it seems, but was left out due to considerations for game volume and overall game balanace.

I still say this content would not have been removed if the game was PS3 only.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive