Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Paid news
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
3mt

$poons: 327.90
hong_kong.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:27 pm Post subject: Paid news Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
News.com.au wrote:
NEWS Corporation chairman and chief executive Rupert Murdoch has announced the company will charge readers to access online content within a year.

Rupert Murdoch wrote:
"Quality journalism is not cheap, and an industry that gives away its content is simply cannibalising its ability to produce good reporting," he said.

What do you guys think about this? Although it is certainly bad to pay for useless news, this plan may actually improve the quality of news, because reporters will be more selective on the articles they churn out.

I think we'll have to wait and see. Though I'm not too keen on paying for one click news with your money wired on the internet.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Jarrod

$poons: 369.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not paying for news.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Passa

$poons: 0.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I'd rather fork out for an online subscription to Crikey or something to be honest. Only News Corp publication I regularly read is The Australian, if it was turned into a pay-site I'd probably just get a physical subscription to the paper (to replace my one to SMH).

Xbox 360 Gamertag + Xfire Username + PlayStation Network ID: Passa91
mikezilla2

$poons: 588.60

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
same here - PALGN is my news !

$poons: 335.90
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Infested Jibbs
Given the crap that is on news.com.au, I have to admit it is tempting. There would need to be a fair chunk of quality exclusives though.
InvivnI

$poons: 513.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I can't see the quality improving much, considering the rubbish News Corp newspapers churn out (with the possible exception of The Australian), which is technically paid for news.

However it might result in the publishing of print articles online, which probably would be a good thing, but the time pressures of online journalism mean that most of the exclusive content will still be garbage.
Qbert

$poons: 209.00
ecuador.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Unless the find a way to block right click-copy, then I can't see this affecting us.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
grim-one

$poons: 1567.30
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Why would you pay for Murdoch's version of the news when SBS and ABC are both free and of higher quality? Pass =P

Steam:grim_one | PSN/Live:najakh | Flickr
Quin

$poons: 342.10
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:24 am Post subject: Re: Paid news Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
kaerlis
3mt wrote:
News.com.au wrote:
NEWS Corporation chairman and chief executive Rupert Murdoch has announced the company will charge readers to access online content within a year.

Rupert Murdoch wrote:
"Quality journalism is not cheap, and an industry that gives away its content is simply cannibalising its ability to produce good reporting," he said.

What do you guys think about this? Although it is certainly bad to pay for useless news, this plan may actually improve the quality of news, because reporters will be more selective on the articles they churn out.

I think we'll have to wait and see. Though I'm not too keen on paying for one click news with your money wired on the internet.

Rupert Murdoch would need to produce some quality journalism first.

$poons: 0.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Charging for news might not even translate into higher quality articles. I'm sure there are plenty of writers that hand in high quality pitches to their editors only to be told to bugger off and write some stupid fluff piece or toe the party line.

Also there are plenty of other ways for them to profit from their online content. Surely they could try advertising models or something. Either way all they'll end up doing is turning people away. They certainly aren't the only source of news on the web and anyone wanting intelligent articles written by talented individuals should really be looking elsewhere anyway.
Island_Wolf

$poons: 849.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I get free Daily Telegraph from uni and even I don't think its worth reading (and paying, but hey, its free for me).

Not sure if it's just me but the amount of celebrity news in the Daily Telegraph annoys me. If I want celebrity news, woman magazines or the internet, I don't want heaps and heaps of pages of it in a normal newspaper (and then there is heaps of sports stuff and scandals...). O, and the lack of world news... Thank goodness I'm not paying for it.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive