Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Us Versus Them #1
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
JP2daMC

$poons: 152.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:32 am Post subject: Us Versus Them #1 Reply with quote

Us Versus Them #1 by Jason
PALGN Feature: Motion control - money-grabbing fad or the future of videogaming?
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
jameseybuddy

$poons: 4.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
No-one touched on the point that one of the main premises for playing a video game is to achieve feats that are not possible by the player. 1:1 motion will not allow me to play golf like Tiger Woods; it will make me play like me and I am a really shit golfer!
I won't make a great saber wielding Jedi either!
1:1 motion will not allow me to play as a magical Ninja Assassin because I will wield the katana like a couch inhabiting gamer!

$poons: 982.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:16 pm Post subject: . Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
JP2daMC
Great argument there Michael, I like your creative approach to the issue. I agree that motion sensing as a game input is still in the earlier stages of development and I think it is promising enough that we will see it continue to evolve in the future.

Oh, and I'll give an honorable mention to Adam for calling Sony's thing the Mood Ball Pole, I love it. icon_smile.gif

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty." - Fact Sphere.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
GreyWolfJai

$poons: 12.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
admeister
Macka
JP2daMC
Jeremy
Love this feature. (I still want to know if berets are in this summer though) :)

I had to vote against. They were just to funny. Jason reminds me so much of myself and put up the argument I would have used. Jeremy apparently has 3 ladies to entertain and he turns to video games!?! Naturally.

Very nice article. Looking forward to more.
sobriquet835

$poons: 3.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
JP2daMC
If beret's are Out thus summer, they should be put IN.

Also, I voted for. Michael's argument was the best one for mine. Very nice analogy.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
JP2daMC

$poons: 152.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
GreyWolfJai - I feel sorry for you. icon_smile.gif and berets are out. They're always out.

Committed to gaming mediocrity and no platinum trophies.
renegadesx

$poons: 28.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Invoking the power glove is kind of like the geek version of Godwins Law
Please refrain from using that in the future icon_lol.gif

Motion control simply comes down to the genre. Shooters: Fail, Sports: win and the rest of the genres go into each category.

Most of all you have to be smart about it for it to gain any real advantage in fun. No More Heroes best of all proved if you dont abuse it, it can add something.

$poons: 1627.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ZeroX03
Considering the types of games I play either require no need for motion control i.e. JRPGS or complete precision i.e. First or Third person shooters and fighting games... I think I will just stick to physical button inputs until they get it 100% right.

☑Tekken
Ka-Pom

$poons: 122.70

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
If motion control is the future I will have to retire as a gamer and take up something a little more exciting, like chess.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
stick_theory

$poons: 22.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jeremy
Ka-Pom
I just have a personal grudge against motion controls for what theyve done to my once beloved Nintendo. I don't think I can take another generation of Nintendo, not after it's been casual behind my back :(

I also hate the way Nintendo brang videogames more mainstream. They offered new audiences a casual, party experience which is not the foundation for the medium. Now I'm offended when Wii-ers exclaim their newfound love for videogames when their experience doesn't extend beyond 2 hours a week on Wii Play or Beach Sports.

But people will always herd towards vogue, and as long as companies can capitalise on it, they'll keep evolving it into something low culture, high entertainment. Y'know, like the music and movie industry...

So, yes, it is the future of gaming. A very bleak, commercial future.

$poons: 1567.30
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
stick_theory wrote:
I also hate the way Nintendo brang videogames more mainstream. They offered new audiences a casual, party experience which is not the foundation for the medium. Now I'm offended when Wii-ers exclaim their newfound love for videogames when their experience doesn't extend beyond 2 hours a week on Wii Play or Beach Sports.

Don't worry, that's the gateway drug to the more core games. It might not take effect on the older, less technical audience but younger gamers will move on to Mario Kart and Guiter Hero. Shooters, platformers and action/adventures being the final stages =P

stick_theory wrote:
But people will always herd towards vogue, and as long as companies can capitalise on it, they'll keep evolving it into something low culture, high entertainment. Y'know, like the music and movie industry...

So, yes, it is the future of gaming. A very bleak, commercial future.

Gaming was already commercialized. Before casual gaming, the death of gaming advocates were always complaining about the amount of sequels and originality.

Someone will always make interesting, original games for the love of it. If it's not the big commercial juggernauts, it'll be the small indie devs working out of their garage.

Steam:grim_one | PSN/Live:najakh | Flickr
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive