Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Mass Effect Review
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
   -> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke Mitchell

$poons: 0.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Mass Effect Review Reply with quote

Mass Effect Review by Luke
360 Review: Massively effective.
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email
ObsoletE

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
about what i expected, though i'm surprised the Lifespan "only" scored a 9.0. i'd have thought 9.5 at least.

i've never had the game pause to load during combat though. that makes me a little wary. (i assume that's what you mean by locking up? like it pauses with "Loading" in the centre of screen?)

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Cerebral
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 737.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Karai Pantsu
Nice review. If there's one thing I'd disagree with however, it would be:

Review wrote:
Apart from a few blocks of text describing the basics, it’s left mostly up to you to work out, and so you can probably expect to die a lot in the first few hours of gameplay.

This is largely dependant on the class that you choose. If you choose a focused tech or Biotic class, you might have a harder time until you figure out a lot of the nuances, but using the skills you're given is a fairly straightforward task (equip a soldier with a sniper and they're a pretty dependable ally). Choosing any combat-oriented class presents very little difficulty at the games' beginning, provided you've played a console shooter before.

Aside from that, a myriad of graphical issues and odd design decisions (I was about 4 hours into the game before I figured out how to equip different types of ammo to weapons) don't detract from the brilliant experience. I'd have given the Lifespan a straight 10 given the 40-hour estimate in the review and the fact that I can easily see at least 2 more playthroughs upon completion.

Edit: it seems to pause and load very occasionally when you're rushing through an area, but its usually brief, and hasn't occured during combat yet. In fact, unless you're in an elevator, the loading times are all very short. I'd rather they padded them out slightly if it meant you didn't have to look at the textureless models half the time.

My play-asia affiliate link (I may as well be honest about this)

Last edited by Cerebral on Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
ObsoletE

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cerebral wrote:
odd design decisions (I was about 4 hours into the game before I figured out how to equip different types of ammo to weapons)

i was the same - i assumed initially that the game must use the best ammo for the current situation, but then i RTFM and discovered how to equip it.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Fetidchimp

$poons: 60.20

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
The particle effects do slow it down, which is annoying because i use the shotgun, which is particle central. Still though, love it, perhaps an update to lower the use of particles.
Sin Ogaris

$poons: 1588.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cool. I really want this game but can't play it. icon_sad.gif

One thing this new sci fi RPG has sparked in me though is the abundance of overused "humanoid" models. I would love, just once, for a sci fi game to involve a party of a wide assortment of creatures, and no, just because they have different coloured skin, or wierd shaped heads doesn't make them all that different. I'm talking six legged reptiles, or giant butterflies or something. Mix it up. I think the only games that have made an effort in this regard were the Fallout titles and even then it was maybe a single member was of a less than human design (generally a dog).

While I haven't played Mass Effect so I don't know if it has really broken the mold but the images and videos don't really do much to alleviate my woes.

There's a billion and one possibilities available to the modellers and yet we're forever getting stuck with two arms and two legs with a goofy head on top and maybe a tail. I'm talking about playable characters by the way, not creatures you meet (although generally they're bipedal as well). In a way I blame films like Star Wars and the like, where it was difficult for creators to make main characters who weren't humanoid in appearance because they only really had the facilities to make "active" aliens, by suiting up. But by crikey if I don't want Jabba the Hut in my party one day.

(Oh, and don't think I'm just picking on Sci Fi either, fantasy titles offer the same problems, Elder Scrolls comes to mind, as well as many others).
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Fetidchimp

$poons: 60.20

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
^

i want a sci-fi movie that doesn't involve humanoids or humans at all, at least star wars wasn't based around the planet earth though(which is starting to become highly annoying). Strange how we get better effects for films everyday, but be damned if it is set away from earth. Any recommendations for sci fi films not involving earth?
Sin Ogaris

$poons: 1588.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Well, it's not Sci-Fi but The Dark Crystal is a fantasy that doesn't relate to Earth in any way shape or form. Can't think of anything else, but then I haven't seen a lot of Sci-Fi.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
bradc1988

$poons: 356.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I think I might go into EB tomorrow and pick this up

Or I could wait until the 22nd and pick it up at JB saving $20...

I don't think I can wait though!

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Sin Ogaris wrote:
One thing this new sci fi RPG has sparked in me though is the abundance of overused "humanoid" models. I would love, just once, for a sci fi game to involve a party of a wide assortment of creatures, and no, just because they have different coloured skin, or wierd shaped heads doesn't make them all that different. I'm talking six legged reptiles, or giant butterflies or something. Mix it up. I think the only games that have made an effort in this regard were the Fallout titles and even then it was maybe a single member was of a less than human design (generally a dog).

you mean like the Star Wars universe, with Hutts (giant slugs), geonosians (giant bugs), Dug (creatures that walk on their upper limbs, while their lower limbs are essentially their arms), Bouncers (essentially a puffy thing that floats around, almost like a Jellyfish, but not in water), Ithorians (walking hammerhead sharks) and variety of non-humanoid droids (R2-D2, for example) - and these are just the Sentient creatures. (lets not forget the Sarlacc or Rancor)

i agree actually, and thankfully ME has a few non-humanoid races around, but a Krogan is the closest to this description you'll find in your party.
otherwise look at:
Elcor
Hanar - this doesn't do it justice. that's it's head, which appears about 8-10 foot up on long tentacle limbs.
as well as Rachni and Keepers, though i didn't find pictures of them.
some of the Geth (the synthetic antagonist race) are not humanoid either, but since they're robots, it's understandable (like SW Droids).

of course, there's a theory that our intelligence stems from our basic configuration, so if this is the case, it stands to reason that by-and-large, other evolutions would progress in a similar manner.

LeonJ

$poons: 1868.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I love the Elcor and the way they talk. Awesome race.

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger

$poons: 39.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
bradc1988 wrote:

Go to JB - get catalogue (assuming you dont already have it)
Go to EB - buy game and get them to price match JB catalogue
Save $20 and play the game today.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Dracusis

$poons: 8.60

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Fetidchimp wrote:
^

i want a sci-fi movie that doesn't involve humanoids or humans at all, at least star wars wasn't based around the planet earth though(which is starting to become highly annoying). Strange how we get better effects for films everyday, but be damned if it is set away from earth. Any recommendations for sci fi films not involving earth?

Dune & Starwars are about all there is.

The problem you propose is, Hollywood is dominated and driven by the concept of the "movie star", thus having a big budget movie involve no humanoids would never get funding unless it was a Pixar film or something to that effect.

Last edited by Dracusis on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total
ObsoletE

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
he said he doesn't want humanoids at all.

Dune (and The Dark Crystal, mentioned earlier) both clearly have humanoids in them.
(my bad, i didn't fully read the request for Science Fiction films not featuring Earth.)

i can't think of any examples myself, but if i do i'll post it. i doubt an example exists, except perhaps as an Anime, or animated film.

Last edited by ObsoletE on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total
Dracusis

$poons: 8.60

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Oh, of course!

S.P.O.R.E!

So can't wait for that game.
bradc1988

$poons: 356.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Newbie wrote:
bradc1988 wrote:

Go to JB - get catalogue (assuming you dont already have it)
Go to EB - buy game and get them to price match JB catalogue
Save $20 and play the game today.

I don't think my EB would price match JB as there isn't one in the same suburb let alone the same centre.

I think I'll just wait it out and go into the city and pick it up on the 22nd.

$poons: 179.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Attention all viewers: JB HiFi in Perth CBD has stock, going for $79.

Got mine today icon_smile.gif
The fact that they sponsored an episode of Battlestar Galactica was the decider icon_biggrin.gif
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Rob_Jedi

$poons: 3.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I picked mine up from JB Monday arvo in Sydney.
ohayes

$poons: 14.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
A reasonably fair review, except I would have given the game a 10 in Lifespan. There are technical issues arising from the UE3 engine, but nothing that really impacts on what is the most fantastic gaming experience this year.

Go get this game people! we need a sequel icon_lol.gif
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
   -> General Forums, Archive