Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Dead Rising Review
Goto page 1, 2 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Matt

$poons: 106.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:36 pm Post subject: Dead Rising Review Reply with quote

Dead Rising Review by Matt
360 Review: 50 percent off on zombies. No rainchecks.
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
ugh the boot

$poons: 281.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
This thread was looking lonely so I thought i'd post something....

Good review, covers most of the important points....and the screenshots are awesome! I hate when they always put screen shots of cutscenes and crap!

Anyways the score is good (especially for Palgn). Also have you guys noticed most of your reviews get a 5 star rating on gamerankings for article quality....which is awesome because that means it's usually of a good length and that you guys know what you're talking about.

Anyways....if you're tossing up whether or not to get an xbox 360....play this game....it could sway you. Currently my favourite game on the box and the best game i've played since Resident Evil 4. Although I am a big Capcom nut....this game is very solid and very fun, also it doesn't hurt that the game looks drop-dead gorgeous and runs completely problem free.

Wii Friend Code: ugh - 0264 5224 8589 9060
Ps3 Id: ugh_the_boot
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
revival

$poons: 10.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
anyone else got this game? i wasnt interested in it at all untill i read the review and now im thinking of getting it, looks like a fun game. what are other ppl's opinons? worth 100 bux?
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
LeonJ

$poons: 1868.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
It's such a weird game, on one hand you have potentially some most well done set pieces and replayability ever, but it's SOOO fustrating at times. I think Capcom would of fixed this nasty problem by just having a 'restart case file' option, and that way you wouldn't be so scared to save it. Mind you, it adds a lot of tension to the game...

Anyway, review is great, I just don't agree with the music and replayability score though. Music is brillant and adds so much and the sound effects are really really spot on. Lead pipe anyone? And the replayability is up there with anything I have played in the last 5 years. Achievements are done in a way which makes you explore and see what the game has to offer.

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Jellyfish

$poons: 22.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
revival wrote:
anyone else got this game? i wasnt interested in it at all untill i read the review and now im thinking of getting it, looks like a fun game. what are other ppl's opinons? worth 100 bux?

Totally worth the $119.95. It may get fustrating, but going into a pack of zombies with a lead pipe or a shopping trolly... or anything else you can get your hands on relieves stress almost instantly.
Infested Jibbs

$poons: 1307.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
^starting tommorow target has it on sale for $99, i know a few otherstores have already had it at this price......but a heads up anyways.

$poons: 3.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
revival wrote:

I would say i have a love/hate thing going on with this game. The bosses are tough (i'm currently on Level 8) & get very frustrating.
I have been on the verge of returning the game to EB over the past couple of days but every time I feel like giving up I have a breakthrough & progress further into the game.
I would recommend this game if you like a real challenge & love Zombie movies.
Jeremy

$poons: 47.40
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
has anyone played the game on a Non-HD TV?
Is the writing at least readable?

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Yes it's readable, i tried it on my parents standard def and it looked pretty good actually. You do have to squit a little and if you got any sort of reading/sight problems it won't help. In other words....only barely readable.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Jeremy

$poons: 47.40
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
thanks ugh, looks like i'll get this game when i've got a HD tv icon_razz.gif

$poons: 185.90
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I don't know, but Dead Rising has questioned my thoughts on purchasing an Xbox 360 console.

$poons: 3.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jibbs wrote:
^starting tommorow target has it on sale for $99, i know a few otherstores have already had it at this price......but a heads up anyways.

Thats good to hear. I want this game but refuse to pay over $100 for any game just on principal. It will be interesting to see where this game ends up on this weeks Aus sales charts and how much of a psycoligical barrier the price really is.
ugh the boot

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
We really do owe developers like this a lot of respect because this is a very original and fun game (something which seems to becoming more and more rare)....and the scope is absolutely huge.

It's one of the only games I can think of on the 360 that is very close to being in a genre of it's own (although at heart it is a basic action/adventure game). It's kinda like a sandbox style game restricted to a mall.

If you have no plans on getting this game.....atleast have a couple of plays just killing zombies and stuff....I guarantee you will have a blast. Can you imagine picking up a huge sheet of metal and carving thru a horde with it? Yea well you can! How about getting a hot frying pan and sticking it to someone's face? Yea well go for it! How about blasting the heads of 8 - 10 zombies and then taking a snapshot of the ensuing spray? You got it! The gardening store and the harware store really are places of wonder in this game! If you know someone with a 360 or have the means to hire one or something.....just play this game! It's awesome gruesome fun!

Infested Jibbs

$poons: 1307.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
U dirty bastard ugh.

You've made me decide to go and get it today if target have it in stock.

You bastard icon_razz.gif

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Yea baby! icon_razz.gif

Also you have no idea about the awesome moves frank can perform....and to top it all off....you can do some of them with weapons! Can you imagine doing a double spinning lariat with a katana or battle axe in hand? Yea neither could I......but the developers at Capcom have!

Also if I remember correctly wasn't it I who had the last say (other than yourself of course) when you went to actually get the 360? Sheesh Microsoft...I should be on the payroll! icon_lol.gif

We really do have very similar taste in games....cuz currently I have all the games you have and I have also enjoyed them quite a lot (with quake 4 being at the bottom).

Phil

$poons: 21.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I also have the game. Differing opinions to most people.

I never bought into the hype for Dead Rising. It's like Snakes on a Plane - if there was no hype, people who said they loved the movie probably would have said it sucks. So with a completely objective mind, I bought Dead Rising. I don't like it.

I know most people would then say "omfg killing zombies iz da shizts!". Yes, killing the zombies is fun, and it is fun for a while. The problem is, there isn't nearly as many weapons as claimed, and the majority of them are clearly outperformed by other ones. So, for example, you will pick up a bench. Massive crowd clearer, this one - so you enjoy the carnage. You go around trying various other large items, which are never as effective as the bench, so you don't want to sit there inefficiently killing zombies. So you go back to the bench.

There are a large number of weapons, but so many are completely useless it negates half of them. The save system is broken, the text really is almost unreadble on SD, and the over the shoulder aiming is nowhere near as smooth as Resident Evil 4 (which is made by the same company).

With all that being said, it still is fun for a while. Rent it. I just felt the negatives of the game more strongly than others.
ugh the boot

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
See I think you're missing the point of the game here....it's not very practical to go around looking for the best weapon to use when the whole idea is to use anything and everything that you can find lying around (like in an emergency situation), that's why there is such a strict time limit, that's why there is so much story and that's why there are so many survivors. What I did was concentrate on doing whatever was required to save survivors and to make it to the next story sequence, I was a man on a mission....not just some fool trapped in a shopping centre.. Killing zombies isn't the point of the game... you should look at it as part of the level design...how you can finds ways around or through.....very rarely are you required to actually kill a horde of zombies....sure it makes it easy to get around them.....but you could also walk over the top of them if you wanted. That's what I find brilliant about this game.....the most awesome thing about it isn't even the main focus. Also awesome weapons like the chainsaw, excavator and the bench (which really isn't that good....only to throw) are all double handed weapons....so as soon as you get hit or try and change to another item you drop it on the ground. It's better to have something like a lead pipe or wooden plank which you can find lying around most places and after you level up a bit can put enemies down with 1 hit.

Also zombies aren't the only enemies in the game....there are psychopaths which make a huge entertainment factor in the product not to mention the enemies towards the end of the game.

To think Dead Rising is only about killing zombies is wrong.

Also there are over 250 weapons in the game (or items that can be used as weapons).....how many more do you want? Maybe you should wait for the next-next-gen as I think you're aiming your sights a little high. Dead Rising is HUGE and PACKED full of things to do!

What i've come to learn from these next gen games is that they are gonna be huge and packed full of content and a lot of fun is in mucking around discovering things for yourself. I mean in Saint's Row it's fun just driving around looking at the intricate roads/freeways or reading all the different signs or calling all the different phone numbers.....same applies with Dead Rising....trying out new weapons/food, mixing drinks, looking for new costumes/survivors.

ObsoletE

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
from playing the demo only, i kinda agree with Phil. it's fun for a while, but got old kinda quick.

nothing wrong with it, but more a rental for me personally.

i found it similar to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, which means it's probably a perfect drunken party game.

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
ugh the boot

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Hulk Ultimate Destruction? Lol...I have both games and they are nothing alike!

And you play 1 player games at drunken parties? heh.. 1 player games don't really make the 'perfect' drunken party game....maybe 2, 3 or 4 players but 1 player sucks with drunken mates around!

Jellyfish

$poons: 22.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
^ Marble Blast (Gold on the Mac) is my favourite drunken party game and that's single player. And yes, I agree with Obs, Dead Rising would make an awesome drunken game, just need to save the game at a good spot and just take turns rampaging icon_lol.gif Shopping Trollies and throwing park benches off 2nd story walkways ftw!
ugh the boot

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Oh well....each to their own...but it's amazing you guys have the patience to play 1 player games at drunken parties, that would never happen with me and my mates....we did actually put dead rising (demo) on at a party about 3 weeks ago and after about 5 - 10 minutes everyone was running around acting like zombies and no one was playing the game. Infact the demo is perfect cuz you're in the perfect spot (paradise plaza) with the perfect amount of time (15 minutes) with the perfect weapon (shotty)....so no need for the full game if you want it as a party game.

You guys must have some wild parties where everyone is sitting around a mac waiting for their turn on marble blast! icon_lol.gif

ObsoletE

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
^ Nikack got it.

that's how we play Hulk when drunk, simply fire it up and just do whatever you like until someone else gets a hold of the controller.

it's fun watching the stupid sh!t people get up to when they're barely in control of themselves. and it's usually the best way to find secrets.

but now you mention it, a two (or more) player version of Hulk would be awesome. kinda like old-school rampage, but sandboxed. (i know there was that Godzilla battle monsters thing that's similar, but not as good).

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Jim Dash

$poons: 451.60
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
icon_lol.gif Jibbs is sold! Go for it man.

Ugh and leon have been pretty spot on with their opinions compared to my tastes so far, and the review was informative, and helped. If I had the cash, this would be a definite purchase.
Phil

$poons: 21.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Ugh, I don't want more weapons. I want better weapons. I see a knife and a cleaver sitting there on the table. The cleaver is better. So why bother putting the knife in there? So many weapons play out exactly the same, and some are just completely ineffective (plates, drinks, buckets, big heads) it is fun to use them once.

But that isn't even the biggest issue. The aiming is slow, the boss fights are tedious, the escorts are repetitive and frustrating - pretty much the best thing about the game (killing zombies) is the only fun thing to do. Unfortunately they didn't even flesh things out enough in that regard. Having 250 weapons in the game doesn't mean anything when 200 of them are completely terrible.

And to those wondering, yes the text is very hard to read, and even changes to the next line at a very fast pace - so before you even make out the words, they have gone.
ugh the boot

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Hey Obs I was just about to mention Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters (I used to have it on gamecube and it was great 4 players). But yea I see what you mean with Hulk....it's been a while so I forgot there are mechs you can actually battle with...so I could see a bunch of people sitting around that. There are also heaps of awesome moves and that's an awesome point about secrets....cuz I can't think of a better way of finding them (you always seem to find stuff by accident).

Also Phil....I do agree there are a lot of useless weapons that could've been left out. You're right there......stuff like cds, plates, cans of drinks are almost useless and they barely even knock zombies down sometimes. I think there has been a lot of stuff put in just for humour's sake.

I do see where you guys are coming from as it's not really something that you can sit down and play for too long in one sitting, it's more like getting a quick fix/arcade action....so I see what you guys mean....cuz in that respect the game does fall a bit short.

I think the review does sum it up perfectly.

I had a blast with the game but I don't think it'll be getting any more play time than any of my other 360 games. I just thought it was an original idea that was executed flawlessly (tech wise not gameplay)....so it gets a couple of extra points from me for that.

Also Jibbs I saw you playing last night when I was at Xcs:sive's......any thoughts?

Last edited by ugh the boot on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive