Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Mass Effect 3
Goto page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jim Dash

$poons: 451.60
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Playing through ME2 again in preparation. This is my third go round, and its been glitchy. Moving in cover without my doing so, major clipping, characters disappearing and reappearing during cutscenes..

Seems to be ok at the moment but I was slightly confused.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
ObsoletE

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jarrod wrote:
As for the other stuff, they're basically plot holes, bad writing and poor planning by BioWare. Essentially the last two games are now being made mostly irrelevant because the Reapers are somehow flying back to the galaxy and attacking anyway, just without the element of surprise and ideal entry point that the Citadel would have been.

presumably they'll throw it away that the whole invasion is planned by both Sovereign and Harbinger - Sovereign works on the initial assault, and Harbinger.... does... something.... repurposes those the reapers take alive, i suppose... they transformed the Protheans into the Collectors, and presumably the keepers came from some previous extinction event too.

i'm a little sad too that the Reapers we've been seeing in the pre-release stuff have all been Prothean based. given the end of ME2, i was kinda hoping we might see some earlier Reapers based on species from previous cycles - although i suppose they might also throw that away by simply saying that all the reapers received Prothean upgrades after the Prothan extinction event, and would've received "human" upgrades after this extinction event.

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Jarrod

$poons: 369.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ME2 is a bit weird in that regard, as it kind of implies the Reapers didn't get much out of the Protheans and instead repurposed them as Collectors, yet the actual Reaper design looks just like a Prothean. However, the derelict Reaper also looks like a Prothean, and that one is older than than the Protheans.

*shrug*

Here's a teaser for the Take Back Earth CGI trailer that will air on Sunday.

Oh, and I kinda want this;

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Jarrod

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Demo is out. Intro was significantly more underwhelming that I expected. Pretty strange to say that as I was quite excited, but yeah, I thought the entire intro was very, very meh, and not even in the ballpark of ME2's. What a shame.

Smurf80

$poons: 261.60

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jarrod wrote:
Demo is out. Intro was significantly more underwhelming that I expected. Pretty strange to say that as I was quite excited, but yeah, I thought the entire intro was very, very meh, and not even in the ballpark of ME2's. What a shame.

Not a good sign? icon_cry.gif

Thanks to segax for the sig!
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Jarrod

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Anthony
Coltaine
Cyph
Some people love it. I know Anthony does. I was really, really hyped for it and the idea is cool. Towering Reapers blowing shit up. It just feels...rushed, and anti climatic. Kind of like how Arrival half arsed brushed over really important plot points, so too does this intro. Vega is just kinda there with this automatic assumption that we know who he is, and the meeting with the board-of-whoever consists of not much more than "I think Reapers are coming. Oh! They're here! Crap!". Cue dramatic escape sequence. Even that, which has some cool set pieces, feels like its missing...something. Like, there's this entire planet being invaded by these towering god machines. They're ripping buildings to shreds and killing everyone they can see. Yet the sky is surprisingly empty, and there's no next to no civilians. There's no sense of chaos, madness and fear from this ultra destructive messengers of doom. It feels empty. As said I think the idea is cool, but I really don't feel BioWare executed it very well at all. Too rushed and anticlimactic, especially in comparison to the wonderful ME2 opening.

Highs are defined by the lows. You need moments of quiet and a slowed pacing to make those big exciting moments deliver their best. ME3's opening feels like it doesn't want to mess around with any lows, and just wants to get straight to the action, and then the action turns out to be a simplistic tutorial with not much going on.

Some will disagree with that. I'm honestly quite surprised I didn't enjoy it as I went into it fully expecting to be blown away. Very surprised.

Otherwise the other half of the demo is a brief sample of a mission later in the game, which really is just to test the new expanded combat system. It's like ME2, only with more mobility and control, and in general plays a lot better (and faster). Weirdly BioWare didn't allow us to customise our load out or swap out weapons, so if you're a caster you're not going to see the benefits of fast cool down, and if you're an infiltrator you've got no sniper rifle to play with. Weird.

Outside of my criticisms above the demo plays fine, but it's also kind of a moot point. I mean really, how do you demo a game like Mass Effect? I might like shooting stuff but if it were nothing but shooting stuff I wouldn't be the fan I am now, and I think most series' fans feel that way. Mass Effect is all about the whole adventure; exploring the galaxy, embarking on quests, meeting strange aliens, having sex with some of them, shooting some bad dudes in the face, punching reporters, and wishing doom upon the Turian council member. You can spend time listening to the codex, basking in the beauty of a lovingly rendered vista, or talking to your bros on the ship, all in between the story driven quests. That's a lot of game time, a lot of variety, and a lot of pieces that make up the sum total Mass Effect experience. Pretty damn impossible to boil that down to a simple demo. So, what we get, is akin to a typical third person shooter demo; a couple of bog standard shooting galleries. Nice to try the combat, but that's about it.

Still hyped as ever and look forward to shutting myself off from the world on day one, and I know I'm going to love it, but the weak impressions of the intro does make me feel BioWare screwed up a pretty significant and potentially mind blowing entry point for the third and final game. Oh well.

Coltaine

$poons: 14.40

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Just finished the demo for the third time. It was okay. Better than ME2.

I really enjoyed the combat improvements. It's much smoother and I think I might actually enjoy combat this game, as opposed to sighing through every combat sequence in the previous two games just to further the story. That said, I think ability cooldowns are, for the most part, too short.

Vanguard seems like it's going to be the pro class this game. Effectively managing your abilities when they draw on your shield strength and so on is going to be fun. I enjoyed Engineer the most, though I'll probably sport an Infiltrator in the retail.

Ability upgrades are pretty awesome now, although Adept seems pretty boring again. For me, anyway. I think this is the only game where the mage-like class is so boring to me.

The game seems to be more of an emotional ride than the previous installments, not that they didn't try to be that as well. I just feel ME3 executes that better in the demo already.

FemShep gives the emotional sequences a nice touch, but all in all I thought many of the scenes with her were just awkward, like Anderson tapping her stomach and FemShep forcing a door open for Anderson. While her voice acting is way better than male shepard, she just sounds too weak for most of the situations she finds herself in.

The intro was fun. I thought the reapers seemed a little weak. I mean, this is what they do, what they are designed for. And at the rate of their careless destruction it's going to take ages to bring humanity to its knees, nevermind every other species. Also don't get why Anderson would opt to stay behind, and his reasoning is really terrible.

"I'm staying behind Shepard."
"Fuck that, we are in this war together."
"Yes, but we can't win. We need all the help we can get. So you go on and convince the council while I kill myself. They wouldn't listen to me anyway, I didn't play a major role in ME at all."

qq

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Gave the demo another whirl, this time trying the engineer. The second half of the demo really should be selectable from the get go, as this is where the game shines. Combat is nicely improved over ME2 and by large avoids the whack-a-mole style gameplay by encouraging you to keep moving, and having enemies use grenades and repositioning to take you down.

The engineer's turret is boss and the upgrade tree is really interesting. Cryo rounds vs. armour piercing. Flamethrower vs. rockets. It's a nice tactical tool for distracting the enemy and setting up mini-flanks. With this and the combat drone the engineer is going to be a really fantastic class. Lots of toys to play with that encourage you to focus on less weapons for a faster cool down.

Sweet spot seems to be hardcore, or whatever is between normal and insanity. Veteran seems to be gone. I died twice on hardcore, both times during the Atlas mech fight, which is okay as it was a boss battle. Otherwise the actual combat scenarios offered a nice balance of intensity and reliance on tactics, while avoiding tedium and trial and error.

PixieGirl

$poons: 640.60
uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Demo doesn't work for me because of DirectX Problems icon_sad.gif

Coltaine

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Ye I thought Hardcore was the best setting as well. At least for my first playthrough. What I forgot to mention was that this game might actually prove to be a challenge on the higher difficulties. Whereas in ME I didn't die once on Insanity (admittedly it was the second playthrough with a specific character) and in ME2 I died maybe 4 times on my first playthrough (Hardcore). Knowing this I immediately tried the demo on Insanity and got my ass handed to me in the intro sequence. Hardcore was easier but still keeps you on your feet.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
A lot of people have got a rude shock by ME3's combat, I think because they're so used to the easily exploitable nature of the first two games. This at least feels like a proper TPS, where real tactics are applicable and necessary.

PixieGirl wrote:
Demo doesn't work for me because of DirectX Problems icon_sad.gif

Tried updating DirectX?

PixieGirl

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cyph
I have a problem lately where my DirectX seems to be corrupt, on Steam too some games won't load before "installing directx" every single time. Even though they work fine once they start. Origin just won't load it at all though. I found a DirectX installer on a recent game disk and went through it but got an error near the end and it seemed to rollback any changes. I've also scoured google for a DirectX uninstaller that actually works, so I can get rid of the whole thing and start over. But I've only found one that seems to work and I have to pay for it. I might just end up buying that even though its a ripoff.

Origin won't even load the Demo because Origin stops the game from loading when it recieves the error (the game launcher doesn't even come up, and because everything else works I'm convinced without Origin it would work), so it seems that would probably be the case with the full game too. I think this tips the scale on my decision to pirate this game. I've only ever done it once before but I was already considering it because I don't trust Origin or the safety of my games on the program at all. At least with Steam I trust Valve not to mess things up, and that the service won't disappear and ill lose everything.

With PALGN anarchy at least I'm safe saying that icon_razz.gif

Cyph

$poons: 716.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
^ I know people who play the pirate version but go out and buy the proper game.
PixieGirl

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cyph
I've paid my dues by buying ME1 & 2 and every single snippet of DLC including the crappy useless stuff. icon_razz.gif Just kidding

Maybe I'll get it for the 360 and use the pirated PC version just so they are still getting my money. I want to support Bioware but Origin can go.... do something unmentionable.

Soap of Death

$poons: 194.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jarrod wrote:
The second half of the demo really should be selectable from the get go, as this is where the game shines.

This. I'd like to replay the demo as a different class each time to get a feel for which combat style appeals to me most. I've only played through once as a Soldier in roleplaying mode. I'm not sure if playing in action mode makes it notably quicker to get through the first half. I'll have to try that option in my next playthrough.

I'm very happy with the squad members I've seen so far too.

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Get the demo on the 360? I think the Roleplaying, action setting etc are just presets. You can still customize everything yourself in the options screen.

$poons: 487.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Played the PS3 version, so excited to do the second half and bam....it froze =/

Now playing: Binary Domain
Now Replaying: Mass Effect 2
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Jarrod

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Soap of Death
admeister
Action defaults you as the soldier with auto level up, and removes all dialogue choices. This is the fastest way to chew through the first stage as you can skip through most of the cutscenes.

Narrative makes the combat ludicrously easy and is more for people who only want story. RPG mode is how the game is supposed to be played, with all features enabled.

OropherX

$poons: 390.60

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
the intro was really disappointing. Considering what happened at the end of 'the arrival' DLC I was expecting Sheperd to have a full on trial where he had to justify his actions, instead I just got a bunch of random scared alliance leaders and cheesy dialogue from sheperd -_-

$poons: 487.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Yeah I didn't really get the beginning, is arrival really that important?

Now playing: Binary Domain
Now Replaying: Mass Effect 2
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
OropherX

$poons: 390.60

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
you didn't play arrival? O_o what Sheperd had to do at the end of that is pretty important even though the start of ME3 makes it seem like a decision which didn't do all that much.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
admeister
Cyph
Luketheman5
Arrival was lame as it boiled down to "Hi Shepard guess what Reapers will be here in a couple of days. Bye!". Hamfisted half arsed writing right there.

But, the whole idea behind it was that the Reapers were arriving at a new relay, and would use that relay to travel through the galaxy faster than standard flight (more brilliant writing, thank you BioWare). Shepard goes on a mission to discover what is going down. Catch is this is all happening in Batarian space, and Batarians are not friendly with humans.

It climaxes with a bunch of indoctrination loons housed on an asteroid colony, Shepard fighting them, and realising the most effective way to destroy this relay is to jettison the giant asteroid into it. He/she learns that this will cause an explosion of supernova proportions. Given this is Batarian space, and there is a Batarian colony nearby, doing this will cause hundreds of thousands of Batarian civilian deaths.

Shepard does it anyway, a bunch of Batarian dies, and Hackett says Shepard needs to be prepared to stand trial for his/her actions. Everything he/she did was considered off the record, and the Batarians are going to be super pissed, to the point of possible war.

BioWare said in the early days of ME3's announcement that the game would begin with Shepard standing trial for his/her crimes, and this would lead into an invasion. Somewhere along the lines this was scrapped in favour of MICHAEL BAY EXPLOSIONS BOOM SHAKALAKA, and the opening as a result feels weirdly empty, soulless and strangely uninteresting.

Like I said, they managed to make a global invasion by invincible god machines boring, and I have no idea how. The entire time my brain was going "Oh man this is going to be awesome", and "Wait, this should be awesome! Why isn't it awesome!". I'd even managed to avoid watching any demo, preview or leak playthroughs so I didn't know how it played out. The whole thing was really weak and underwhelming. A bunch of stuff kinda happens and then woop woop you're off on a ship.

And again, I find that really weird given how memorable and exciting ME2's opening was. The collector vessel ripping the Normandy to shreds. Staff scrambling around as the ship burns. Red emergency lights flashing as you're decked in your space suit. Open the airlock and oh my god. Nothing but deafening silence, a black void of destruction, and a gorgeous nearby planet glowing overhead. Beautiful intro execution that paced itself perfectly and sends a chill down my spine every time I play. This? Not by a long shot.

WilliamsF1

$poons: 72.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
The Demo wasn't that bad, enjoyable enough to say I'm pretty excited about the games release.

People who've commented that, the demo was below par have probably put extremely high expectations on it's release. If you take the game as it is, I'm sure you'll find a great adventure awaiting...
Jarrod

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Multiplayer owns. Anybody want to get some PC rounds going?

ObsoletE

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
some of the Razer ME3 gear is pretty sexy.

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive