Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
PALGN Apologises to FalconDude
Goto page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
FalconDude

$poons: 8.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the apology Roland. Its not really your fault but it's great that you have decided to start taking action against members here like FeralOni. It's appreciated.

As we discussed you wanted a little help to weed out the undesirables who have turned this website into a troll haven lately.

To the majority of the Palgn community, I have enjoyed being part of this site since I joined and still have respect for you.

But unfortunately it's just the few members who have little regard for common courteously towards the fellow humans here, and also probably in real life. These people are spamming the forums with insults and hateful comments, and just making it hard for any civil discussion to take place here any more.

To these people, I suggest you read the Palgn Rules again before posting.

Also to the mod who keeps editing my posts and replacing them with homophobic slurs, you will be weeded out soon also, if it hasn't happened already.

I am heterosexual but there are several members here who have admitted to being homosexual. These are the people you are really hurting the most with these homophobic slurs.

Regards
FalconDude

Trade Games Here
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Benza

$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

AWW SHIT!

PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 29.06
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself saying this a lot lately, what with all the trolling going on, but... 1/10

To the OP, too.

Last edited by Karai Pantsu on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
IHateFrasierCrane

$poons: 5.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
FalconDude
Cyph
jprockbelly
Ok...

This must be the biggest, most epic joke of all time. Roland is just a troll trying to sucker everyone in, then BAM! "lolz j/k palgns is fine"

$poons: 1567.30
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

epic god tier troll? yes?

icon_clap.gif

FalconDude wrote:
These are the people you are really hurting the most with these homophobic slurs.
So care to name who took offense? I've not seen any of them complain.

Steam:grim_one | PSN/Live:najakh | Flickr

Last edited by grim-one on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Cyph

$poons: 716.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

FalconDude, I understand why you are posting that message. Personally, I've never had an issue you with or your website. Regardless, I do know that you have cause just as much angst towards other members of this community as you claim they have to you.

Take this as a word of advice; you're post whether intended to do so or not will only be seen as trolling and will add fuel to the fires. It would be best if you just leave this place.

PALGN is dead. Roland, I would say you lost touch with the PALGN community but in truth you never had it to begin with. You sir are a fool.
BurnZ

$poons: 3093.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

FalconDude wrote:
As we discussed you wanted a little help to weed out the undesirables who have turned this website into a troll haven lately.

Cahoots.

R.I.P. DEJA VU - 21/08/2010
R.I.P. Tanya - 16/04/2011
GooberMan

$poons: 127.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part is that instead of any actual moderation, they're resorting to pleas.

Talk about a lack of control of your own website.

$poons: 9.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
FalconDude
Fyuusii
FalconDude wrote:
Thanks for the apology Roland. Its not really your fault but it's great that you have decided to start taking action against members here like FeralOni. It's appreciated.

To the majority of the Palgn community, I have enjoyed being part of this site since I joined and still have respect for you.

But unfortunately it's just the few members who have little regard for common courteously towards the fellow humans here, and also probably in real life. These people are spamming the forums with insults and hateful comments, and just making it hard for any civil discussion to take place here any more.

To these people, I suggest you read the Palgn Rules again before posting.

Also to the mod who keeps editing my posts and replacing them with homophobic slurs, you will be weeded out soon also, if it hasn't happened already.

I am heterosexual but there are several members here who have admitted to being homosexual. These are the people you are really hurting the most with these homophobic slurs.

Regards
FalconDude

Frozencry

$poons: 1628.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Manipulation is very, very bad karma FalconDude.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
fatpizza

$poons: 348.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
FalconDude
Can someone remind me of what incentive there is to stay here?

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you've never negged one of FalconDude's posts, you'll be able to trade?

$poons: 348.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
FalconDude
Fyuusii
GooberMan
GooberMan wrote:
As long as you've never negged one of FalconDude's posts, you'll be able to trade?

My soul?

$poons: 369.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you're aware, the previous administration would have dealt with (or been encouraged to deal with) the situation in a similar manner to most internet message boards. The usual process is to look at the offensive post in question, gauge whether or not claims of offence are accurate, and if so delete the post (to prevent thread derailing and the abuse viewable), issue a warning, temporary ban or permanent ban to the poster (depends on posting history, severity of the post, user attitude, etc), and then maybe (though not essential) privately message the person who took offence and alert them to the matter having been resolved.

That's the due process we followed on Half-Life: Fallout when it was one of the most active Half-Life fan sites during Half-Life 2's early years, here on PALGN during my (admittedly limited) moderation, and as a moderator on NeoGAF.

If public defamation is to be a new policy in response to forum transgressions (which is fine if this is what you wish, as you are the sole owner of this website and are free to manage it as you please), then it is advisable and appropriate to update the Terms of Service so members, old and new, are aware of the change in management and policy and are able to post confidently under the new ruling.

BurnZ

$poons: 3093.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed. (there is a 2nd joke there too)

R.I.P. DEJA VU - 21/08/2010
R.I.P. Tanya - 16/04/2011
pom013

$poons: 235.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland, I emplore you to take some advice from your own yes man and stop provoking the community. If you are going to open dialog make it constructive or piss off.
http://palgn.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=64208

Secondly, your one sided moderation disgusts me. Although the offending messages from falcon have now been deleted or modified, his use of inappropriate language, which could be described as nothing less than a racial slur, combative personal attacks and persistent violation of community standards have been no better than the behavior of FeralOni.

For a PR Manager, your inability to manage conflict resolution really astounds me.

Farewell Rocketship!

Last edited by pom013 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total
Benc82

$poons: 454.30
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Funny. Seems like less of an apology and more of a sh*t stir against the staff/mods (or ex staff/mods). Mature. More fuel on the fire.

Faster the new sites up and running the better icon_smile.gif
cosmoh

$poons: 9.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
oh roland you so crazy
GooberMan

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
sithsylar
FalconDude
pom013
pom013 wrote:
Although the offending messages from falcon have now been deleted or modified, his use of inappropriate language, which could be described as nothing less than a racial slur, combative personal attacks and persistent violation of community standards have been no better than the behavior of FeralOni.

It is a shame that FalconDude's original text was modified.

If only because we can't just outright quote it here to show the hateful comments he makes in place of someone's edited hateful comments.

Don't suppose anyone saved it? Or maybe even FalconDude will operate on the good faith he pretends to put forward and edit his words back in to his original post?

EDIT: Hoo boy. The original post is gone. But there's the quote we're looking for.

Exodus wrote:
Also...

FalconDude wrote:
How's the niggers and there well going?

What the hell are you saying? Does anyone see what sort of person I had to deal with? You're such an immature person, Falcon. Good luck with the website man.

Last edited by GooberMan on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total
Frozencry

$poons: 1628.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest someone with mod powers take a browse at some of the history in the mod forums. I'm fairly sure there's some stuff there which shows that FalconDude was banned several times due to rules being broken. My memory is hazy on it though, but I do recall bannings and issues with advertising in PM's without permission (a requirement with the PALGN forums and one we're fairly lenient on) and personal attacks particularly against people who argued about the loss of the game exchange.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Big Pete

$poons: 278.80
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Scumbag Roland

Ignores his own staffs problem and doesn't apologise for anything.

Openly apologises on everyone elses behalf to a known troll who has blatantly broken the advertisement rules.

I for one want it to be known that I won't apologise to FalconeDude. He deserved whatever he got on here and then some and would hope he'd spend the rest of his time online on his third rate forum.

$poons: 17.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
sonicwired
ThunderCurls
Crank
Benc82 wrote:
Funny. Seems like less of an apology and more of a sh*t stir against the staff/mods (or ex staff/mods). Mature. More fuel on the fire.

Pretty much, from memory the old administrative staff banned FalconDude for a number of offences after repeated warnings, offences including unsolicited advertising, abusing other members and the general rudeness and flambaiting during his time here. As I've pointed out before unbanning him was simply the result of blackmail and something I vehemently disagree with.

So while PALGN as an entity solely owned by and run by Roland may have offered an apology to FalconDude, I don't. I stand by my repeated suggestions for him to leave, apologising to him simply give him legitimacy for behaviour he rightfully doesn't deserve.

However we haven't helped our case by launching into a mob-style lynching of him and Roland (I'm guilty of it too). While it's fine to vent frustrations, all it does is give them an air of legitimacy that when you look at the facts of the situation they don't really deserve.

I have no qualms against giving me honest opinion about these clowns and standing by them. If I stoop down to their level of immaturity and unprofessionalism, so be it, but I'll be honest about it rather than trying to manipulate a sense of guilt out of people.
XtremeXfactor

$poons: 180.40

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
metalgear_yoshi
kartanym

The hell ?
StorminNorman

$poons: 152.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread's existence disgusts me.

I've been pretty silent on this because I haven't really been around here long enough to really know one way or another, but at the same time, I've been following the events closely.

I was willing to give Roland and the others involved in the management of the site the benefit of the doubt.

But this thread... it's like Roland is actively goading the forum members here into giving him excuses to take action against them. It is, as others have mentioned, a troll thread.

Last year, I left a forum community because I felt it had become poisonous and uncomfortable to read or post in. I felt the administrators weren't doing enough to deal with the problems they had. I just didn't want to be a part of that community. So I decided to see if I could find a similar community to what that forum was back in its glory days.

I came here. It was pretty great. Users were nice to each other, and even when I was involved in heavy arguing, people remained respectful, always willing to forgive and move on to the next conversation. The discussions in the gaming forum were interesting to read, and the general forum was full of good stuff. I got a real kick out of seeing those little green plusses next to my posts (and the negs, too, if I'm honest).

Then Cian posted his "screw you guys I'm out of here" thread. At first I thought it was Cian being Cian... I'd seen the way he posted elsewhere on the internet, and it just seemed to be part of his "angry irish guy" schtick.

Then more writers began to quit, and it became really obvious that PALGN had behind-the-scenes problems. It wasn't just the fact they were all leaving at the same time, but rather the undercurrent in their posts, the idea that they were deeply unhappy with how the site was being run.

But of course, being a humble PALGN reader, I didn't have any insight into the behind-the-scenes activity. I figured that the writers would be replaced, and that PALGN would continue on its merry way. Fun times would be had by all (even Cian.)

I began to notice, as the exodus continued, that the writers weren't being replaced. I tend to be a bit slow on the uptake, so it probably took me longer than most to notice that the site was haemorrhaging staff without replacing them, and that if they all went, then no one would be around to post editorial content on the site at all.

Then the leak happened, and everyone got an insight into just what was going on. While I agree with the staff members that whoever made that leak violated the trust of the staff of this site for petty vengeance, a part of me is glad it happened. It gave my mostly-untrained journalistic instincts one side of the story.

From there, I assumed that perhaps the other side of the story would come out. After "D-Day" happened last week, I figured that Roland or discosis or someone else involved in the site's management would finally give us a good reason for what's been going on.

Surely, I thought, the site's management can't be this willing to damage the good reputation of the site among its readers, as well as those it does business with. Surely they will come out and tell us their side of the story. They will reassure us that the site is continuing and give us the plan they have for keeping PALGN alive through 2012 and beyond.

I mean... it makes sense, right?

But... it didn't happen. Roland posted a bizarre thread on the weekend about how PALGN isn't shutting down. I read it, and it seemed pretty hard to believe. I mean... open-heart surgery? Seriously? Look, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on this, and if it's truly the case, Roland, then I wish you well because heart troubles aren't fun to deal with.

But even so, the rest of the thread was... really weird. It read like badly-written PR copy. Full of vague language and "weasel words" that I've only ever seen used in parody. I honestly didn't believe, until I saw the reaction to it, that it could have been written by someone with a straight face.

Then came discosis' thread. I thought "who the hell is this guy, anyway?". I still have no genuine idea who he is other than "Jason", but my understanding is that he's somehow involved in the actual technical administration of the site.

It read like an actual human being had written it, which was a start, I guess. But it still didn't really solve the problem. It didn't offer the other side of the story that I was so craving. It came across as being a bit disingenuous, as though the writer wasn't willing to take some of the responsibility for what had been happening. I felt... let down by it, because untill that moment, I was still giving the admins the benefit of the doubt.

It's funny because I actually agreed with the main points. All those rage quit threads read like Furor's legendary "You have two weeks" post from many years ago. (And, of course, the irony of that post (and all those that it inspired) is that no one ever quit after making one). The behaviour of some forum members has been reprehensible. Understandable, but reprehensible.

Then this thread appeared and I honestly wanted to punch a wall. I mean, seriously? Sure, the post that FalconDude took offence to was rather poor, and FeralOni should be banned for it. That's cool. But... did it really, really warrant a stickied thread in the general forum? I mean... have you actually read any of the posts in this forum over the past week? Have you actually paid attention to what's going on? To the discontent of your users?

Most importantly, and I'd really love to know the answer to this: Do you, Roland, understand why this has happened? Do you understand the root causes of all this? Have you actually read anything posted on this forum since you bought the site in 2008?

That last one is the big one. Every post of yours I've read feels like it's written in a vacuum. Like someone else pointed out a particular portion of information about the thread and got you to reply to it. You dodged burning questions. You made accusations about site staff that were either minor side-issues or irrelevant to the topic at hand.

This is what I think you need to do: You need to start engaging with the community. Respectfully. Right now, I feel as though you have no respect for the PALGN community. Given what we've seen over the past week, I can understand why it might be difficult to respect them.

But that doesn't matter. This is your site. You own it. This is your community for better or worse. You have to respect them whether you like it or not. That's the point.

Take me, for example: I'm an administrator of Madman Entertainment's web forums. I am, for all intents and purposes, "the hand of Madman" on that forum. If Madman dictates some policy decision regarding the forums, I'm the one who has to enforce it, for better or worse. I, along with the two other admins there, am the ultimate authority on what happens on the Madboards. Years ago (Benza will vouch for this), I was something of a loose canon. I locked threads like it was going out of style, I treated users like they were subhuman and I was actually driving people away from the forums.

Eventually, I got told off for my behaviour, and I saw the error of my ways. I made the effort to be more lenient, and more respectful of the users. The forums became a much better place because of it. Users were able to post freely, and new users weren't being driven away by my behaviour anymore. (Benza can't vouch for this as it happened after I banned him...)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I, and I suppose the rest of us here, feel like we're not being respected by you, Roland, or any of the other site leaders right now. This thread shows, to me, that you are completely disconnected from the community, and also that you genuinely don't care about the community.

That's what's really getting me upset: I genuinely do not believe that you care about PALGN. Every post you make that tries to say otherwise just reinforces that belief because you never come across as genuine.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you think of PALGN or its forum community. If you want this site to survive, you have to put your feelings aside and show respect. You have to give us, the community, confidence that you know what you're doing and that you want the site to survive.

If that isn't what you want, then end this game right now: Shut down the site for good. Because, honestly, that's what the current way you're handling this situation is going to lead to anyway.

I genuinely don't believe that's what you want, though. I think you do want PALGN to survive. I just don't have any confidence in your ability to make it survive. Either give the site over (or sell it) to someone who genuinely cares, or put it down.

tl;dr: R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Find out what it means to me.
mrcool37
Banned User

Banned User

$poons: 6.19
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it's such a pity we couldn't vote for this in thread of the year.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive