Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Skill Testers
Goto page Previous 1, 2
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Infested Jibbs

$poons: 1307.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Appel
Pink Batman?More like GAYman!

Heh.See what i did there?See, now that's clever, that's comedy.

---

I've never ever won a skill tester/claw game in aus, but when i went to america a while back i won two or three.I could not believe it when i played a claw game at disneyworld, went for a plush blastoise, saw the claw grab it, heft it, and drop it in the chute.That's not how it's supposed to work, i'm not supposed to win.I won?This is madness/sparta etc.

$poons: 10.40

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jibbs wrote:
Pink Batman?More like GAYman!

Heh.See what i did there?See, now that's clever, that's comedy.

---

Quote:
Reporter: Are you at all Scared of Hansel?
Zoolander: Not as much as I am scared of ..Gretel
Zoolander: Hey write that down, I want people to know how funny I can be.

I played a skilltester just recently, damn am I annoyed. I put a $2 coin in for like 2 gos yeah, anyway I picked up this patrick (spongebob series) doll perfectly. Upon the claw carrying it to the dropout chute it falls right before the chute and lands headfirst into the pile. Tried picking it up once more...no chance icon_sad.gif
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email
Clawcatcher

$poons: 3.60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:11 am Post subject: Where to play crane games/skill testers/ufo catchers in Sydn Reply with quote

IVe spent around $500 over the last 3 months with claw/crane games and ufo catchers
Im a average player at best because sometimes i dont know when to quit but im not a beginner and i thought i would say something about this to help whoever is reading,
potentially some money and better your chances of winning

IVe slowed down a bit now but not after spending a lot of money, i think before you play, you have to ask yourself

1) do i really want this prize? Do i really want this doll or a figurine which you have no interest in
2) do i have a addictive personality, if so i wouldnt even start, this is a form of gambling
3) is it cheaper just buying the prize in a shop? playing again and again all adds up,my friend continaully teases me about this

It's important to know that these games have a "pay out rate" which means no matter how good your "grab is" on the soft toy your aiming at,if the machine doesnt recieve enough money,
the claw strength will be weak and you wont get your prize. For example, maybe the machine is rigged to every 10th time you play, thats when the claw strength will be strong enough to pick youor object up,all those times inbetween you have no chance
how often have you seen the claw grab your prize, rises up and lets go of the prize before it drops it into the hole!! I bet plenty!!

Im not here to teach you how to play, but rather what i have played and where and what i think your chances are

In general, "UFo catchers" the 2 prong claws are your best bet of winning, and if you look onto youtube, you can see why. There are various stategies that can work in your favour

The 3 prong claws i only play occassionally because i feel you have less of a chance winning because of often weak claw strength

Those claw games where your consolation prize is candy, are very hard to win in my experience but have only won at Blacktown Playtime

i have played the medium and large size claw games and have won on the medium size claw games but in general i avoid them because ive seen too often prizes picked up and let go by the claw

WHERE to PLAY

* PLaytime Blacktown has 2 ufo catchers, the left side one i have won a lot of Doramons (about 20 and thats no lie) and the right side is "Mario" which is harder and i feel the claw strength is weaker
As mentioned its the only place where i won where there is a candy consolation prize claw machine

* Galaxy World MArket city
They have a few ufo catchers there where i have won plenty of times (about 10 angry birds and so on)
They have a claw game with consolation prize candy, avoid completely,its claw strength is very weak and ive seen no one win from here
I have seen people win on the medium size plush toys

BOTH these places allow you to swap prizes from the same machine, for example if you want a red angry bird but won a white one, you can ask to swap it just by asking staff

YOU HAVE SOME CHANCE HERE

* CApital square
I have spent a lot of money here and i have "Gamblers remorse" from it. The prizes look winnerble but in reality its very hard.
Easily the most UFO catchers in Sydney
The claw strengths are weak and even toys near the holes where the prizes come out of are hard to get too. A example is the gundam box toy,you cant use the push in with claw technique because its centre of gravity is very low,
ive tried many times with no success
THIS PLACE KNOWS ITS STUFF,the odds are in THERE favour,they have put barriers from you winning,i often see they come around the machines and adjust where the prizes are in there favour,\

Other examples:

1) some of them there are signs saying if it doesnt drop into the hole, u dont win!!
ITs a bit unfair, especially when you look at some prizes look like they wouldnt even fit into the hole without getting jammed
i once won on a 3 prong claw machine but my prize was still dangling from the claw, they said if it didnt fall into the hole you dont win

2) i see a tin box prize where there are "speed humps" in its way so u cant slide the prize into the hole

3) There figure box prizes, they have taped up the sides so a tactic that is used (where u aim to jam the claw into the side of the box at the top where it opens up from,hard to explain but if you watch youtube you will understand)
wont work and they have a plastic bracket in the way so you can slide prizes threw,its at the ONE PIECE claw game

I would avoid totally the little bell shaped claws,the strength of them are so weak i think the claw would break off first before a prize can be won.
MY friend with the 3 prong claw grab a square pillow prize dead on,it lifted up and the claw let it go,it must be what i mentioned before about pay out rates

The prizes here though are the best of any place in Sydney

* Shopping centres

IVe had some success here but i often see my prize get lifted up and dropped when moving to the hole

A special mention must goto MErrylands Stocklands,where upstairs is a claw machine only goes half way, it wont go onto the right hand side of the cabinet
i really felt cheated because there was a prize i wanted on the right hand side but couldnt reach it

WHERE NOT TO PLAY

* Galaxy world George street
Spent $35 here with nothing to show for it,they have ufo catchers here but minimal prizes in them which in turn lowers your chance of winning. And the prizes, most you wouldnt even want,the plush toys all look old
Tried there 3 prong claw machine (and ufo catcher) with pokomon/angry bird slippers, tried to put the claw into the hole where you foot would go,i did it but the claw strength was too weak to lift it up

* Any bowling centre or movie theatres
They are the worse offenders,have never won from spending around $50,ive emailed them to complain but not heard back from them, i bet they just ignored me,i'll give you 2 terrible examples
why not to play here

Blacktown Bowling centre, there is a angry bird claw game, my claw DIDNT EVEN CLOSE!! it just went down and went back up,now if a claw doesnt close how are you suppose to win anything?

Blacktown movie cinema,there claw game is terrible to play, in fact dont even look at it. Not only is it a consolation prize of lollies claw game
but look at the claw when it drops, when it hits the bottom it doesnt even close,
the claw only closes when it rises up!! You have 0% chance to getting anything then. All claw games when they hit the bottom close to catch there prize,here after the claw rises it does close,
maybe 20 cm above from your prize, so if you have a prize hanging in mid air floating somewhere, then you got a chance,but floating prizes have no been invented yet!!

HOPE this has helped someone from spending too much money on places where you got very little chance of winning, but still,the odds are against you from winning!!
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Fetidchimp

$poons: 60.20

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:15 am Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf
jprockbelly

$poons: 70.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info. Should be stickied.
chickenplucka

$poons: 4.60
kazakhstan.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

$poons: 487.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

10/10 would read again (in fact i had to read it twice just to take that all in)

Now playing: Binary Domain
Now Replaying: Mass Effect 2
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
crescent fresh

$poons: 2.00

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the great info Mr. Clawcatcher.
I agree this should be stickied.

two weekends ago i lost $2 on the chocolate machine in the pool table area at the waterworks botany (the one you grab chocolates and it drops them on the ledge and there's an oscillating pusher to drop them into the hole)
had no luck and had to go to the IGA to get some

I believe the best tactic the use is what i have nicknamed the green lobster tactic, also known as the sniper in other, less sophisticated circles. you wait and watch the machines while nursing for example a beer, or pretending to watch tv. wait until some geezer(s) spends at least 6 credits building up the ledge with minimal result. now is your time to $trike since it's been "warmed up" for you. you have to trust your instincts on this one

you make a valid point though in your analysis: is it cheaper just buying the prize in a shop?
but it's not just a simple money in -> hopefully price out equation
you need to also take into account the opportunity costs:
would you rather spend $11 and 2 hours of your life watching "the artist" at event ? or spend $11 dropin' the claws ?? you may even come away with a kickass prize in the later case ..
don't get shortsighted mate, it's not always just about the prizes
it's about the entertainment, it's the challenge..
it's the THRILL OF THE HUNT, baby!!!

for every weak claw there's a strong claw.. don't stop the search for the ultimate, Mr. Clawcatcher
jprockbelly

$poons: 70.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

All I want is that Lobster Harmonica

theory
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 1275.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Karai Pantsu
Benza
Appel
Benno
Woah... loaded this page, saw a Jibbs post first up... ahh, memories.

$poons: 39.80
taiwan.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Skill testers are like gambling for me, I get too addicted and it's always "just one more go, just one more go...". Sometimes I can get like 3 things for $5, other times 0 for $10. I think the safest thing to do is to play like $20 worth, then run out of there once the amount is reached, because $20 can easily turn to $50 if you don't stop...

These things are quite popular in Taiwan and the machines are generally fair. In Sydney I only play the ones at Capital Square, which does have some pretty good stuff. Never bothered with the ones in cinemas because they always look dodgy and usually have crappy prizes. Why I would try to get candy when I can get it in a supermarket/newsagent/vending machine with a 100% success rate, lol.

$poons: 62.00
zimbabwe.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:27 pm Post subject: Re: Where to play crane games/skill testers/ufo catchers in Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Clawcatcher wrote:
1) do i really want this prize? Do i really want this doll or a figurine which you have no interest in?

Very good advice. What do you do with all of those Doraemons!?

$poons: 1628.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

...Skill testers?

Play Quake or StarCraft and be done with it.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Bronze

$poons: 164.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozencry wrote:
Play Quake or StarCraft and be done with it.

Pfft. Neither of those games require any amount of skill whatsoever.

UFO catchers, now they're a real man's game.

$poons: 849.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:12 pm Post subject: Re: Where to play crane games/skill testers/ufo catchers in Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
jprockbelly
crescent fresh
Clawcatcher wrote:
YOU HAVE SOME CHANCE HERE

* CApital square
I have spent a lot of money here and i have "Gamblers remorse" from it. The prizes look winnerble but in reality its very hard.
Easily the most UFO catchers in Sydney
The claw strengths are weak and even toys near the holes where the prizes come out of are hard to get too. A example is the gundam box toy,you cant use the push in with claw technique because its centre of gravity is very low,
ive tried many times with no success
THIS PLACE KNOWS ITS STUFF,the odds are in THERE favour,they have put barriers from you winning,i often see they come around the machines and adjust where the prizes are in there favour,\

I've won a decent amount of things from there when it comes to small item. I also got lucky with a big beijing olympics panda plush for $2 but I suppose you are talking about larger sized ones. I know people on Facebook who spends around $5-7 for a medium sized one.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
mrcool37
Banned User

Banned User

$poons: 6.19
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
jprockbelly
crescent fresh
The best strategy of all is to sit and wait around and watch a few people put their money through. If $5-7 is spent without a prize to the other player, that's when you start throwing in money yourself.

I manufacture chocolate/plush machines, and amusement operators generally aim for a 300% profit margin, ie. if the toy cost them $3, expect about $9 to go through before a prize is pretty much guaranteed.

The chocolate machines with the pushdeck on the side, however, do not get easier when more money is put through, you can pick up a chocolate pretty much every single time, the luck/payout comes with what's already at the front of the push deck. Sometimes you'll pickup 3 chocolates but the group of chocolates won't push any further to the prize box.

Avoid oversized plush and 'maxi claw' games completely.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
GooberMan

$poons: 127.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Just out of curiosity: Is this the longest thread necro outside of the news articles forum?

$poons: 514.40
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually play the UFO catcher machines quite often when I'm back in Japan.

I have a friend there works in the CLUB SEGA arcades over there so he knows the ratio for each machine and what they're set to. If you're in Japan and you want to tip the odds in your favour the best times to play those machines are late at night and on a week day.

Usually weekends and around lunch times the machines are set to the highest ratio (amount of money spend to the machine actually being accurate ie. claw tightening, or timing device actually stopping when you want). When the machines are on the highest ratio, you pretty much have no chance, they're there to rake in the money.

There's so many varieties over there, not just the traditional claw device, there's ones where you have to time the device and poke your prize through a small hole, there the machines are rigged to having the timing slightly off, so even if you lift your finger off the button, the poke device might move a fraction more, just enough to offset the timing. Of course when you do hit the ratio the timing becomes accurate but that's usually 1 in 5 / 7 goes.

There's variations others where you pull on a little string to over the prize doors, etc, etc.

Personally I don't find them that hard now, since over the years I've had quite a lot of practice (and a bit of inside information does help), which probably explains why I have a ridiculous amount of weird plush, alpacasso, rilakkuma, capybara-san, melon kuma, onsen kuma, various anime plush and figures, etc, etc.

$poons: 24.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
You can always offload them on me, Ciel icon_razz.gif

The main place to get them in Melbourne is so hard to win, although I'm also awful at it. There was one time I spent about $20 trying to get this plush and got really close (2-claw machine, I was trying to roll it over since the barrier wasn't very high, but I'm bad at it) and ran out of money, and the next person came in and got the cat I had set up icon_sad.gif Really wanted that cat! I'm pretty good about not spending money in there now. I try to buy the plush instead but I still haven't found that same cat.

Games I'm after | Play-Asia link
MY PSP IS NOT PINK! - now with added blog
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IHateFrasierCrane

$poons: 5.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Esposch
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/ballarat-toddler-squeezes-inside-vending-machine/story-fn7x8me2-1226263704070

Score!

$poons: 3093.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P. DEJA VU - 21/08/2010
R.I.P. Tanya - 16/04/2011
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
canetoad

$poons: 11.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mikezilla2
topaz

Kid learned from the best.

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive