Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
PALGN Game of the Year Awards 2011
Goto page 1, 2, 3 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Adam

$poons: 0.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:35 pm Post subject: PALGN Game of the Year Awards 2011 Reply with quote

PALGN Game of the Year Awards 2011 by Adam
PALGN Feature: Here she comes, Miss Game of the Year...
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
ZeroX03

$poons: 775.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Fyuusii
crescent fresh
"Most Disappointing Game

Marvel vs. Capcom 3"

pfffffffffffft

b+2,1 mindgames
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
GooberMan

$poons: 127.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Sure, there were staff departures and all, but I still find it surprising that the other game that got a 10 in 2011 didn't get a mention here.

$poons: 9.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
What about Dark Souls - game too hard for you guys?
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Banefire

$poons: 14.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Gamesta
wt? Jahanzeb?! icon_biggrin.gif Awesome!! Welcome back!

And Dark Souls is awesome, but its what these guys liked this past year not what others saw was great, You should write what you liked about Dark Souls here yourselves yeah? eg. Game of the year/most surprising/most dissapointing etc.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
grim-one

$poons: 1567.30
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Esposch
LeonJ
2011 was a brilliant year for gaming.

So many great AAA titles on all platforms. Portal 2, Dark Souls, Batman: AA, Uncharted 3, Shogun 2, Witcher 2, Killzone 3, Assassin's Creed, Infamous 2, Deus Ex, Serious Sam 3...

The indie revolution is in full swing on PC and (to a lesser extent) consoles. So many Humble Bundles with dozens of great games for pocket change. Magicka, Terraria, Minecraft, Frozen Synapse, Limbo, Bastion, Rock of Ages, Orcs Must Die, Revenge of the Titans, Jamestown, Binding of Isaac, Bit Trip, Spacechem, SPAZ...

And they're all just ones I've played and come to mind! This is some serious renaissance **** here.

I can't pick a favourite! I love them all!

Steam:grim_one | PSN/Live:najakh | Flickr
Benza

$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mikezilla2
GooberMan wrote:
Sure, there were staff departures and all, but I still find it surprising that the other game that got a 10 in 2011 didn't get a mention here.

Well Denny quit so I'm sure if he'd been doing one it would have made it.

$poons: 716.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Some responses of note;

Anthony Capone
Most Disappointing Game
Mass Effect 2: The Arrival

AGREE

Adam Guetti
Games of the Year
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

AGREE

Jahanzeb Khan
Most Disappointing Game
Marvel vs. Capcom 3

I completely agree with your reasons Jahanzeb; Capcom milking their IPs for all their worth.

Jarrod Mawson
Most Disappointing Game
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Sorry Jarrod, I disagree. Yeah, it's just more Uncharted, but that's what I wanted. And the multiplayer is an absolute hoot!

James Varoutsos
Games of the Year
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I wish I could agree but the unpolished state of the game (the horrible UI, plague of bugs) is simply game breaking for me (literally).

Where's Dark Souls people?!
Jarrod

$poons: 369.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Anthony
mikezilla2
Cyph
Cyph wrote:
Sorry Jarrod, I disagree. Yeah, it's just more Uncharted, but that's what I wanted. And the multiplayer is an absolute hoot!

I figure most people would disagree, and I admit, I put it there to troll a bit. I was disappointed with it though and felt it was weaker than Uncharted 2, not just because it was unable to deliver the same impact over it's predecessor (which was impossible, in my opinion), but also because I felt the game as a whole was worse in design. Outside of the additions of puzzles, which I loved, I thought the combat encounters were quite weak, the stealth level design significantly worse than Uncharted 2, and the revamped combat system worse playing than Uncharted 2. It had it's moments, but I felt the game too often dragged, retreaded tropes of Uncharted 2, and never reached the highs of level and encounter design of it's predecessor.

Even though I'm not raving mad about the series (excellent movie games, but simplistic, hand-holdy cinema games are not what attracts me to the medium, nor where I feel the medium is best represented), Uncharted 2's encounters were beautifully balanced between combat, stealth and melee. The game kept it simple but that helped keep everything so polished. Plotting stealth routes were fun and challenging, melee was snappy and easy to perform though not without a risk/reward gamble, and shooting felt excellent. I felt all these aspects took a back seat in Uncharted 3, and even though it had some great set pieces, for me it just played much worse.

I guess if I had to summarise I'd say Uncharted 3 felt rushed. Launch bugs, like missing motion blur and shit aim, enforce this belief.

I didn't play the multiplayer though so I guess you should take my opinion from purely a single player perspective. I'm sure its fun, but I'm not into console, third person shooter multiplayer enough to warrant a time investment. Though I probably should give the co-op a run.

Cyph

$poons: 716.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jarrod
^ Great response
Island_Wolf

$poons: 849.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Benza wrote:
GooberMan wrote:

Now I will never know if he will have mentioned LBP 2 as the biggest disappointment of 2011.
Phreakuency

$poons: 419.60

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Fyuusii
Jeremy
Firstly, there really needs to be more proof reading. Quite a few errors, which while minor, make the site read like a group of 'regular' Joe type writers rather than the somewhat professional look of most other sites.

Nitpicking aside, I love the fact that the article shows gamers can have lots of different tastes.

Seeing games like Shadows of the Damned, Stacking etc in the best of is great.

And I applaud someone with the guts to say something like Uncharted 3 was disappointing. I actually said similar about Uncharted 2 and copped some crap for it, but hey you have to stick by your opinions.

I see 2012 being a quiet(er) year, especially with a couple new consoles launching (new Xbox I reckon) but the backlog for most of us will probably make up for it.
Furianshi
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 513.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I think Crysis 2, Skyrim and TDU2 are the only 2011 games that I have so far.

So, going purely on fun-factor and by how long it had me hooked, my GOTY would be Crysis 2

The nanosuit abilities really made the game for me more than anything else. Having the stealth and strength options there in addition to the core shooter gameplay really made it feel fresh and interesting. Controls on PS3 and 360 are clean and tight, the game is a joy to play.

Graphically, I think CryEngine 3 is up there with the best graphics on console (excluding PS3 exclusives), but the lighting sets it apart and gives it it's own distinctive look. In a time where every second game is using Unreal Engine 3.0, I found the different style of rendering refreshing. As usual on console, the framerate could be better though.

Multiplayer, from the team that brought us Timesplitters, was also very enjoyable (and addictive).

$poons: 5.60

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Gtpod
Anthony what the hell are you thinking on Crysis 2????
That game is purely average. Level design, story, rpg elements, game play was hardly interesting, and mind numbing average difficulty.

Kudos Jarrod on picking Deus ex HR, I mean it really makes you go wow, its the only game this year i paid over 50 bucks for and played more than once, or even finished.

I'm so happy a few indie's made the list, at least with indie titles this year your seeing peoples blood and sweat for 15 bucks. How good was dungeon defenders!!
themashedavenger

$poons: 2.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony, a sublime game means it rocks, a subliminal game means u didnt notice it...
Jedi_Amara

$poons: 24.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Island_Wolf wrote:
Benza wrote:
GooberMan wrote:

Now I will never know if he will have mentioned LBP 2 as the biggest disappointment of 2011.

You could ask him icon_razz.gif

Games I'm after | Play-Asia link
MY PSP IS NOT PINK! - now with added blog
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Furianshi
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBoss wrote:
Anthony what the hell are you thinking on Crysis 2????
That game is purely average. Level design, story, rpg elements, game play was hardly interesting, and mind numbing average difficulty.

Kudos Jarrod on picking Deus ex HR, I mean it really makes you go wow, its the only game this year i paid over 50 bucks for and played more than once, or even finished.

So, if someone shares your opinion, they are 'correct', but if they have a differing opinion, they are 'wrong'? Guess what? We are all different and have our own preferences and tastes.

When will people start accepting each others differences? We aren't robots that all come from some production line, we're people.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
My opinion on his post Furianshi, this is a forum right?
My point is that I can't put crysis 2 anywhere near GOTY, but Deus Ex HR would make the cut easy. And I was sharing that information by posting in this forum. Some ppl take this s*** to some messed up places. No duh he can obviously choose whatever they like ZOMG
Lemmiwinks

$poons: 2.60
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ThunderCurls
So Skyward Sword is a disapointment for the 'meaningless tasks' but Arkham City is 'brimming with content'?

Arkham City was so stuffed with filler it could have been a Smashing Pumpkins album.
Esposch

$poons: 62.00
zimbabwe.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ThunderCurls
Wow. I thought I was the only one that thought Deus Ex was GOTYAY.
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
BigBoss wrote:
My opinion on his post Furianshi, this is a forum right?
My point is that I can't put crysis 2 anywhere near GOTY, but Deus Ex HR would make the cut easy. And I was sharing that information by posting in this forum. Some ppl take this s*** to some messed up places. No duh he can obviously choose whatever they like ZOMG

Well why not just post your GOTY then, instead of whinging about what someone else's is?

If Anthony had said "My pet gerbil didn't require oxygen, so I don't know why it died in that plastic bag", then something like "Anthony what the hell were you thinking????" might've been a little more appropriate. Reacting like that to something that is subjective is just ridiculous though.

Pull your head in mate.

@Thunderbutt: maybe you should get Gtpod to fix your votes, they currently have no effect. Must've gone on a neg rampage or something at one point lol

$poons: 221.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Ah Lemmy, it may be a different story if Arkham City had foisted its side missions on you as part of it's main story. Zelda pads out its length with waffle - to be frank, Arkham City's riddler trophies are more meaningful and interesting than any of Zelda's collectathon fetch quests.
BigBoss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I'm disagreeing with a point that was made, and explained my point, what the hell are you thinking is just to be provocative. Furianshi i dont just want to post my GOTY i want to discuss other people thoughts.

Such as right on Esposch and LOL at Lemmiwinks great call.

I think where arkham city does well is making those pointless tasks seem like more fun.
ThunderCurls

$poons: 9.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Furianshi wrote:
@Thunderbutt: maybe you should get Gtpod to fix your votes, they currently have no effect. Must've gone on a neg rampage or something at one point lol

emech

$poons: 131.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
According to this thread http://palgn.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=945757#945757 our top 5 user games of the year are:

skyrim
deus ex:hr
portal 2
uncharted 3
dark souls

Runners up:

saints row 3
xenoblade chronicles
mario 3ds
batman AC
witcher 2

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive