Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Max Payne 3 Preview
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jeremy

$poons: 47.40
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:42 pm Post subject: Max Payne 3 Preview Reply with quote

Max Payne 3 Preview by Jeremy
PALGN Preview: Max finally makes his long awaited reappearance.
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
PixieGirl

$poons: 640.60
uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
"as well as the integrated use of cinematic events that "look" like a cut scene but in fact require the player to act quickly." - Does this mean quicktime events?

Anyway my opinion is improving but Brazil still seems like the most unfitting location for a Max Payne game they could possibly think of. I just don't get who pitched the idea for that and how they could have thought "god, thats brilliant." lol

Anyway if they can pull it off thats great but I'm still skeptical about the location, its just totally contrast to what Max Payne was about in the last two games (which I really loved by the way). I'm going to wait for reviews when it comes out before I decide to get this or not, which I rarely do for sequels to games that I loved a lot.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Jeremy

$poons: 47.40
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Benza
PixieGirl
mikezilla2
PixieGirl wrote:
"as well as the integrated use of cinematic events that "look" like a cut scene but in fact require the player to act quickly." - Does this mean quicktime events?

Not quite. You will still have full control of Max, it's just that you'll have to perform a specific action - for example: run out of a room, dive and pull off a headshot (with bullet time optional) to save a hostage.

The Sao Paulo slums actually seem like a good location for someone like Max - as they'd be much meaner than the streets of New York. So far though, they've mainly shown warehouses and junk yards, which haven't been helping with the vibe, just yet. Until we see more of the slums and the huge contrast between the rich and poor of Brazil and Sao Paulo, the jury will still be out.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Benza

$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
PixieGirl wrote:

I just don't get who pitched the idea for that and how they could have thought "god, thats brilliant." lol

It's one of the most crminalised countries in the world. It has the 11th highest murder rate of any country, cops get paid bountys for the heads of street kids. The country has such a stark division of rich and poor that it's known as social apartheid for gods sake.

Seriously there is no where more perfect to tell a crime noir story then Brazil.

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jeremy
It's also bright and sunny, it might seem like a small problem, but I'm sorry, Max Payne is not bright and sunny. Unless they really work hard to pull it off and chose the locations in the area wisely, it just isn't fitting for a game in this series. Like I said though I'm waiting to see if they can make it work.

Benza

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ThunderCurls
PixieGirl wrote:
It's also bright and sunny,

So is New York a lot of the time?

If a games biggest defining feature is it's weather then you've got some problems?

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
New York is 100x more "film noir" whether its daytime or nighttime. Even at night Brazil isnt really like that. Sao Paulo has a sub-tropical climate all year round. I'm not saying they should have just used NYC again but this is just too much of a contrast... A games environment is very important to me, maybe not to you, but to me it is.

ThunderCurls

$poons: 9.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
We don't always make Max Payne games, but when we do...

...we shave his head, turn him into a security guard and plop him in Brazil.

It's definitely going to be different than past MP games, but hey it's Rockstar so you know it's going to be fun.
Benza

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ThunderCurls
PixieGirl
PixieGirl wrote:
New York is 100x more "film noir" whether its daytime or nighttime.
Cassablanca is one of the most famous film noir films in history and it's set here

Quote:

Even at night Brazil isnt really like that. Sao Paulo has a sub-tropical climate all year round. I'm not saying they should have just used NYC again but this is just too much of a contrast... A games environment is very important to me, maybe not to you, but to me it is.

Noir and Film Noir in general have nothing to do with the setting. It's an attitude of the story and a combination of various cinematic techniques (Dutch angles, contrast in shadows light etc)

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Well, I used the term wrongly then icon_smile.gif So disregard that, I still think the setting doesn't fit at all.

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive