Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection Review
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Bev
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

$poons: 281.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:14 pm Post subject: Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection Review Reply with quote

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection Review by Bev
PALGN Review: Not one for every game kollection.
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
ThunderCurls

$poons: 9.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
...but that's Reptile!
Trex0321

$poons: 1.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
yeah, cheated. Its not only cheats, the arcade machines had the difficulty turned to max. There was absolutely no-way you could beat them, as the computer would react the the controls u pressed and counter the move in a nano second.

While the graphics not being retouched i have no problem with, because hell i was there for MK1 onwards and if they updated them i probbably wouldnt of bought it. theres options to change the screen to the style of looking down at an arcade machine, and other graphic options) netherealm studios should of at least played with the difficulty settings.

For instance MK1 is easy enough to get the the second endurance match without sweat (just like i was playing in that hot asian bakery in merrylands back in 91) mk2 is just plain- throw -something -very- hard -at -the- wall- frustrating. lui kang esp, seems not only to have great ninja skills but some kind of mutant thought reading powers. Jump towards him he'll air fireball you. duck he'll drop fireball you. spend a fraction of a second looking at him after 'fight' and ull be bicycled kicked. Also, that 'i could of sweared i nailed him with an uppercut turns into how the HELL did he just throw me?'

Also, no, the xbox controller is not the best solution, but that shouldnt come into the final score as anyone worth their grain in salt and love of fighting games should of picked up the new version controller with the swivel d -pad, or at least a 3rd party pad with proper d-pads. No point saying 'the controls suck' yes they do with the original xbox 360 controller, but then thats for ALL fighting games
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Trex0321

$poons: 1.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Oh if u want a score outta 10, id give 7.5-8. Netherealm could of at least played with the difficulty settings, because the originals were coin addicts. But i guess partly because i remember the originals so well at the acrade i spent 125 bucks on the snes version without gore! (92). But mk1-3 are for me, at least, some of my fondest fighting game memories, so i love this collection.

Now to hope for some more classic fighting games, World Heroes 1+2, Primal Rage, and plzzzzz SOMEBODY, Killer Instinct
ObsoletE

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I'd probably also give it a 7.5 to 8 out of 10 too, but at least half that score is simply nostalgia.

the difficulty is brutal though, i agree, and while i get that as an arcade machine, it was designed to "steal" money, i don't think that difficulty is all that fun applied to the home market. I'm not talking about "fair" difficulty, like in something like Demon's Souls, which punishes you for not being prepared, this game really did "cheat".

it took me a while to get into the groove of the controls though - and i wonder if this was a relic of the original game, and we've moved on from that, or if it was the controller (X360, in my case), because most of the problems i had, seemed to stem from the controller, but it could just be it was highlighting the problems of the game. (if that makes sense?)

eventually, i was ok with the normal fights, and even Endurance fights, but the bosses were really where the money-grabbing style of arcade machines of the time come through.
Goro had reach beyond his arms, and Shang Tsung's AI seemed built around counters to my inputs more than anything that felt real.
it did make me wonder how much i must've spent on the game back in the day. i finished it several times, and after playing it here again, i doubt a single instance was on a single credit...

it was also a shame that it seems that the achievements for "kompleting" each of the games seems to require completing them with everyone on the roster - that, or my game is bugged, since i've completed MK1 twice now (Sub-Zero and Scorpion, of course. icon_razz.gif) and neither has unlocked it for me.

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
slapshakle

$poons: 398.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ObsoletE
^ The achievement is supposed to unlock when you beat it with any character. I've heard alot of people having the same problem as you, others get lucky and it unlocks as it should. I'm surprised this hasn't been patched yet.

PlayAsia Affiliate
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Jahanzeb

$poons: 7.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I had a go at this at a friend's place today, it's serviceable enough for MK fans but can't say I enjoyed it.

Now Playing:
Sonic Generations
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
David No.1

$poons: 87.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
So pretty/very average huh? Guess the games have aged pretty bad. So 1 is too chunky and 3 is to weird. Ahh well, thanks for saving me some money, Bev. I was pretty keen on getting it... but not anymore.

Now Junkying: BlazBlue, Lost Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
stuffandthat

$poons: 0.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
SO when is it hitting the Aus PSN Store?
evil_kenshin

$poons: 11.60

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
stuffandthat wrote:

it won't be; considering mortal kombat 9 was RC'ed I doubt they are interested in releasing the collection here.

$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Trex0321 wrote:

Also, no, the xbox controller is not the best solution, but that shouldnt come into the final score as anyone worth their grain in salt and love of fighting games should of picked up the new version controller with the swivel d -pad, or at least a 3rd party pad with proper d-pads.

You mean has an arcade stick right?

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
evil_kenshin wrote:
stuffandthat wrote:

it won't be; considering mortal kombat 9 was RC'ed I doubt they are interested in releasing the collection here.

It's already up on the XBL Marketplace...PSN shouldn't be any different.
fupoisme

$poons: 9.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ThunderCurls wrote:
evil_kenshin wrote:
stuffandthat wrote:

It's already up on the XBL Marketplace...PSN shouldn't be any different.

It is though. Looks like Sony's decided not to go ahead with this one.
Benza

$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
fupoisme wrote:

It is though. Looks like Sony's decided not to go ahead with this one.

Or it's being put on PSn late. It wouldn't be the first time.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
The PSN only gets updated weekly also.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive