Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Duke Nukem Forever Review
Goto page 1, 2 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Cian

$poons: 939.60
ireland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:48 am Post subject: Duke Nukem Forever Review Reply with quote

Duke Nukem Forever Review by Cian
PALGN Review: Oh Duke, how you've aged...
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email
macca macca

$poons: 4.80

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I am surprised about this. Only because i was expecting a 4 or below score.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Smurf80

$poons: 261.60

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Im not really suprised to be honest but at least the thing is out there now and for people like me who gre up play Duke Nukem it will be a trip down memory lane where games were different to what they are now.

I will def pick this up but after reading this I might finish what I am already playing and pick it up at a later date.

Thanks to segax for the sig!
Dreamcazman

$poons: 9.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cian
Couldn't have said it better myself. Good review Cian.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
RWS
El Chupanebre

PALGN Design

$poons: 18.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jaws
I want to read a review, of this game, from someone who loves watching B-Grade films like Evil Dead. Duke Nukem has always been a homage to those movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPdboqzvzoE

Graphics not so good? I wasn't aware of B-Grade movies having the best special effects.

Frankly, this game performs and plays out exactly as I would have hoped, and I think it's a fantastic game. Maybe most everyone didn't see past what Duke Nukem actually was back in the 90s, just saw Duke Nukem 3D as a game you'd shoot alien pigs and give money to strippers to see some pixelated boobies, and it was all in good fun. Nowadays video games try to set their foot in the similar sort of niche big blockbuster films set, more realistic, better stories and plot, better voice acting.

I only had two issues with this game: the long loading times, and the clunky aiming... The aiming I fixed by reducing the sensitivity of the joysticks in the options menu. But the loading times are just the same.

If you were looking for a big blockbuster game, you obviously were expecting the wrong series of games to be revived. If you were expecting and hoping for a B-Grade style game, you've got it! And boy does it deliver!

$poons: 0.00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

What a terrible game. This crap should not have been released, what a weak display... Playing on the minds of people who played the original during the good days. The developers should be ashamed of themselves.. Maybe go whiddle some wood instead and make some statues. Glad I pirated this piece of crap.
BurnZ

$poons: 3093.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cool story Bro.

R.I.P. DEJA VU - 21/08/2010
R.I.P. Tanya - 16/04/2011
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
drinniol

$poons: 19.90

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
skrob73
mikezilla2
Jaws
Appel
Heh. Behrpaws having a sense of entitlement to a game he stole.
Appel

$poons: 34.60
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like when you see people on torrent sights having a go at the original uploader in the comments section because they can't get something working.

behrpaws wrote:
The developers should be ashamed of themselves.. Maybe go whiddle some wood instead and make some statues.

Oh, and seriously behrpaws, if it's a statue you were originally after, you should have bought the limited edition. See that there on the left? A statue.

$poons: 1567.30
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a game. It's a piece of history! The game industry's longest running joke is over...

I'm still looking forward to getting this. I know it'll be mediocre-terrible, but I'll love every minute of it.

Steam:grim_one | PSN/Live:najakh | Flickr
GooberMan

$poons: 127.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

RWS wrote:
Graphics not so good? I wasn't aware of B-Grade movies having the best special effects.

Or 14 years and untold millions spent in development.

It's going to be the same song and dance with every review - it'll get reviewed with 14 years of anticipation, more hype than a CoD game, and 2011 standards for graphics and controls. And in that sense, there is a lot broken about the game. It should have been released before Half Life 2, it's very definitely a post-Half Life take on the franchise and certainly doesn't live up to the delay or the destructive glee of DN3D.

But I found myself not caring. It's straight up stupid fun, which can't be found in any other major console release over the last few years (Bulletstorm's dialog doesn't count). Duke doesn't want you to think, he wants you to get blown through a glory hole in a strip club called Titty City. It's stupider than the stupidest big-action Hollywood movie you can think of, and will probably benefit the industry as a whole simply by existing (Why so serious, games industry? Look at Duke).

With this one done and dusted though, perhaps Gearbox will push out a proper sequel. Western society seems to be getting increasingly nostalgic, and I can only see a Duke game done with an engine reminiscent of the first Geo-Mod revisions being a good thing.

$poons: 640.60
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
This is why nostalgia sucks and I don't have any for anything :]

I think the huge ammount of people buying this game just because it reminds them of the "good old days" can't possibly be a good thing and means the developers can just be lazy and rerelease old stuff with a new coat of paint. These are likely the same people complaining that the Call of Duty games sell so well. My 2p ♥

Last edited by PixieGirl on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total
grim-one

$poons: 1567.30
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
PixieGirl wrote:
"good old days" when games were uglier and stupider and unituitive.... same people complaining that the Call of Duty games sell so well. My 2p ♥

Are you saying Duke3D was uglier, stupider and more unintuitive than CoD? =\

Steam:grim_one | PSN/Live:najakh | Flickr
PixieGirl

$poons: 640.60
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Yeah I just edited out that bit, because it doesnt really apply to all old games and it was a bit blunt. But yes actually its a lot uglier and stupider (I just remembered thats not even a word, yay the irony) than Call of Duty in my opinion. Not unintuitive though... Most old games however are incredibly unituitive. First person shooters havent really changed much in that way though.

sobriquet835

$poons: 3.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mikezilla2
Jaws
Crank
I have never played Duke 3D, but honestly I'm having more fun with this than other modern shooters I've played. I've never liked the feel of Battlefield or COD, and while Homefront had an interesting story, the rest was bleh. Sure, this game doesn't have the prettiest graphics, but honestly, that doesn't make a lick of difference. I'm just glad to see something that in my opinion plays well and isn't damn near identical to every other fps out there.

That being said, I'd probably say the same thing if ID released doom 4 using the same engine as the first 2 games.

Edit: also, the sound. This game sounds awesome.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Gamesta

$poons: 548.70
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
GooberMan wrote:

Duke doesn't want you to think, he wants you to get blown through a glory hole in a strip club called Titty City.

Yet there's a few moments in the game where you are given a puzzle to figure out. This game does want you to think.
GooberMan

$poons: 127.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Appel
PixieGirl wrote:
Most old games however are incredibly unituitive. First person shooters havent really changed much in that way though.

Many old games went for the big elaborate manuals as there usually wasn't enough processing power or space to put in the nice tutorials and intuitive presentation we're spoilt with now.

But still. The first time I played Doom? Imagine if Michael J. Fox tried to paint a recreation of the Sistine Chapel. It's strange that I remember being so inept at it considering I'd played the first person sections of Jurassic Park quite a bit by that point. It seems to be a "riding the bike" scenario, as controlling a FPS is about as intuitive as keeping upright on a vehicle you're both powering and controlling.

Gamesta wrote:
Yet there's a few moments in the game where you are given a puzzle to figure out.

Always one person wanting to mince words. An entire post where I equate not thinking to being stupid reduced to an argument about puzzles. You know how to read, right?

$poons: 716.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Thanks for the review Cian, I'll stay away from this junk (which is just as I thought it would turn out).
Frozencry

$poons: 1628.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
While the critic in me bags the game out for being broken and awful, I can't help but genuinely laugh my arse off at the gameplay footage of it with commentaries on youtube.

See I'm torn now. Duke3D was farkin awesome back in the day (and hell it still is, plays great), and this game is much like Too Human where so many rehashes and delays have torn it to pieces, but at the same time, I really just want to play it for the lols.

Hmm.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
JackSlack

$poons: 244.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Exodus
JackSlack, on September 5, 2010 wrote:
... You know what FPSs were in 1997? Quake. That's what the model was... that mode of game has been dead for years! ... What the hell is Duke going to be? A throwback? A clone of the developments? If it's either of those, I say again, why should we care?

Yeah, I'm a little smug, and definitely not above an 'I told you so'.
XtremeXfactor

$poons: 180.40

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I have not started it yet (seems to be a running theme, i havn't immediately started several games i have purchased over the last month), hesitant with doing so. I should play it for myself, but i am being swayed by both sides. My expectations are not sky high, just wanting a different game other than COD. If i don't get motion sickness (which hindered my enjoyment of Borderlands another Gearbox title), i will be really happy.

I do hope that if they choose to move forward and continue the franchise with a NEW entry, that they work out what they want the game to be - and go from there (just not another 14 year development period).

It has given me an even bigger retro hit, i have been playing the pc version of Duke 3D a lot lately.
Ken_Gooner

$poons: 264.70
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mikezilla2
The game feels as though it was rushed to be honest.
It feels like Gearbox tried to make it playable on current systems as quickly as possible without ironing out issues and spending the time to make it properly.

It's feels like a beta game.
Still fun though and I'm glad I got it, a good change from COD.

I hope they come out with another one and spend some time to make the game properly.

Oh to, oh to be, oh to be a gooner
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Sanguineu

$poons: 1.00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot put down in words how awfully wrong you are with quite everything you say about the game. Your conclusions are wrong, your basic arguments are wrong, your explanations are wrong and your whole analysis makes me nothing but angry.
This is unquestionably the worst review I've read in my entire life.
Frozencry

$poons: 1628.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny on Facebook wrote:
I'm just waiting on the random 1 post sign ups coming in calling you a *** and Satan himself for spitting on Duke.

I TOLD YOU SO HAHAHA.

Cian

$poons: 939.60
ireland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanguineu wrote:
This is unquestionably the worst review I've read in my entire life.

Heard of IGN?
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive