Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
L.A. Noire
Goto page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
metalgear_yoshi

$poons: 31.40

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:

Update- Sony blaming Anonymous for PS3 overheating.

$poons: 60.20

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous blaming planking
pom013

$poons: 235.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Casey2017
I wasn't going to get this strait away, but then I walked into the good guys and saw a bunch of $9 games not on JB's exclusion list and decided it was to good an opportunity to pass up.

About an hour into it so far, it starts quite slow but it's definitely intriguing. $27 well spent.

Farewell Rocketship!
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Capoeira

$poons: 709.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Am I the only one here playing the game in Black and White, and without the clue cues? Because playing like that feels so damn good. What can I say, I'm a purist.

Say You Want A Revolution
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
StorminNorman

$poons: 152.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I tried black-and-white mode, but it just didn't feel right to me. The game has some really amazing art direction that I think is lost in B&W.
Gregsy

$poons: 128.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Played a bit of this yesterday. Pretty damn good, a game I'd like to take my time with for sure.

I'm 50/50 with the questions in interrogations/interviews at this point, a few cases into Homicide. Some people either try too hard to put you off or are pretty damn good at fooling you. There have been instances where I've got almost every answer right in the particular case though.

Enjoying some of the characters in the game as well. Stefan Bekowsky, your partner in Traffic is easily one of the more likeable guys in the game.

$poons: 0.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
This game is great, the graphics are amazing, the voice acting has blown me away. The cases are all individualized and different. I am a little sick of street cases because alot of them involve you shooting the crims. But all in all very good.

$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
So uh... been playing this and...

It's kind of crappy.

After playing for a couple of hours I think I'd only actually spent a good hour doing anything. The amount of cutscenes was fucking obscene. I'm talking Metal Gear Solid levels. It also felt kind of directionless. I'm guessing some kind of plot builds up over the game but as far as it was now it just feels like going about your day to day buisness wich... isn't fun or engaging.

Also dear christ it looks fucking horrible. I get that it's supposed to be this revolutionary new tech being used in games for amazingly life like animation and shit.
But no, it just looks creepy as hell, everyone has these creepy leathery looking lifeless faces. It looks like The Polar Express. It's creepy as all shit. Serious uncanny valley going on there.

So yeah, I'm kinda dissapointed with this game so far.

$poons: 35.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Luketheman5
I envy anyone who can play this game longer than an hour at a time, the game causes my 60gb PS3 to shut off each time I play it, sometimes its 15 minutes, sometimes an hour if I'm lucky.

I've tried everything at Rockstar's support page here, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having issues. I really hope they are working on a fix, because I've had no issues with my other PS3 games, Red Dead Redemption worked perfectly for me. I'm not going to go out and buy a PS3 slim just to play the damn game.
Luketheman5

$poons: 487.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Benza
I can only play it for an hour at a time too, but not because of overheating, because I get a bit bored icon_razz.gif.

I like it, but the cases seem a bit repetitive so far (I've done about 11) and I know that's on purpose...But still.
I just think it needs a bit more to do besides random street crimes which take 3 seconds and don't add much at all. It needs some stranger missions like RDR IMO.
Those were great!

Maybe even card games with your cop friends or something. I'm sure cops get a BIT of time off.

Now playing: Binary Domain
Now Replaying: Mass Effect 2
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Crank

$poons: 838.60

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I like about this game is the lack of tacked on bull***, like playing cards etc. The focus of this game is on the narrative and they have quite deliberately designed it to avoid lengthy distractions. You can even skip action sequences if they are proving too difficult (something I don't agree with one bit) in order to keep the narrative moving along. This is not an open world game in the same vein as RDR or even GTA4. Sure, it has that same Rockstar 'feel', but it isn't the same type of game by a long shot. Expecting LA Noire to be like RDR or GTA4 is bound to lead to disappointment.

This is not to say that I can't see where you guys are coming from, I can. I just don't agree. I've played about 16 hours so far and find it hard to put down. But that's mainly due to the narrative, which is by far the strongest aspect of this game. For me, this is a breath of fresh air, as I find a lot of games these days have truly pissweak, forgettable stories, focusing mainly on the gameplay.

I think it probably has more in common with point and click adventures games than open world action games, with traditional puzzles being replaced by the interrogation and clue gathering. I would have liked more variety in the 'puzzles', but what they have achieved far exceeded my expectations.

LA Noire is certainly not for everybody, but I'm loving it so far. Try giving it more than a few hours, this is a 20+ hour game, after all.
Sin Ogaris

$poons: 1588.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Soap of Death
I'm with Crank, the narrative is the bomb. I've been playing about 8 hours so far and am a couple of cases into Homicide and it just goes from strength to strength. I love how believable every cutscene is, it's bizarre. I did ridiculously well in Traffic but I've been pretty abysmal at Homicide, but the way characters respond and the resulting cutscenes makes it seem like it's natural. I cannot wait for a second play through just to see what better results will mean.

Also the little clues to other stories are really interesting, like the newspaper articles and the flashbacks. Especially because it feels like they may play a part in the bigger picture.

My main gripe narrative wise is I wish there was more depth to the characters, your partner in Traffic was great, but everyone else, main character included, just don't really develop. Like with Phelps you hear snippets in the car rides about his home life but it was a real missed opportunity not including some of that in the actual game. Granted I'm only about halfway through at the moment, but still, I can't see that aspect improving. It's also not for everyone, as far as I can tell the story is a REAL slow burner. I'm getting snippets of things but there really isn't a clear goal yet other than solving cases which I guess makes a lot more sense from a realistic perspective but I really want to know where things go from here.

I disagree with the cases being the same though, Traffic was incredibly varied and some of them went some pretty insane places and I wished I could have explored further to find all possible angles.

In terms of negatives, the cars don't feel accurate to me, they seem to handle far too well; also the gunplay is still a bit hokey but luckily, if you play the story, you'd be lucky to fire off a dozen rounds (slight exaggeration but not that far off) and the street crimes don't always require it either. The fact that you can make arrests is amazing and something sorely missing from other cop games. This also makes it all the more disheartening when you complete a street crime only to have the body carted off to the morgue becuase I know, that if I'd just been a bit faster or a bit surer footed, the person wouldn't be dead.

My final complaint is that the city itself feels lifeless compared to the characters in the story. I haven't witnessed the kind of random encounters that say, GTA 4, is known for. It's similar in a way to Mafia II in that regard where everyone is just waiting around for you to do something before anything actually happens.

Actually, one more thing. And this one's spoiler-y:

spoiler wrote:
I don't like the fact that, as far as I can tell, you close every case. No detective closes every case and in situations where I CLEARLY don't have the evidence to convict then something just "happens" to land my way and the person gets arrested (most notably being in my most recent case, I completely botched the interrogation, I knew I had the guy, but I couldn't get a confession. As I was being berated by my superior a witness "happened" to see him at the Police Station and he bolted. Then I chased him down and got the arrest. It would have made far more sense if I had simply botched the case and it remained open, I'd still continue on with other cases but I'd have that black mark on my name which would have been a lot more interesting

Last edited by Sin Ogaris on Sun May 22, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Benza

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
so the narrative does go somewere? Good cause so far I am finding it hard to give a shit about anything in the game so far.

One thing I'd love some clarification on, what's the difference between doubt and lie in interogation? One is you doubt them the other is you think they're liyng? Isn't that the same thing?

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Sin Ogaris
Gamesta
Doubt is more "you are probs lying", lie is "you're wrong and I can prove it" which requires you to present evidence to prove they are wrong.

And yeah it does go somewhere, I just played a few more cases and that hook that drew me in the day I got it is back.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Gamesta

$poons: 548.70
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Luketheman5
Doubt and Lie are what make me get like 75% of questions wrong. A friend told me that if you have evidence to prove that they are lying then you pick lie. But if you think they are lying but don't have any proof then you pick doubt.

I haven't played it since I was told that so hopefully when I do play it again, I will start getting more questions right.
kartanym

$poons: 252.30
ireland.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Sin Ogaris
If you doubt that they are telling the truth, it can sometimes lead to a positive or negative response depending on how much info you've gathered so far. If you believe someone is lying, unless you're spot on, you have to use evidence as proof to back you up. Use the wrong evidence and the accused will deflect your accusations and get cocky. You can back out of a lie before using evidence if there's nothing to back it up with, replacing it with a doubt, but you may miss out on a full response by backing away. It's all about reading the faces and the twitches in the eyes, and knowing what evidence could help you out in a pinch.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Luketheman5

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Gamesta
Yeah I agree with you Gamesta, it's pretty easy to tell when they are truthful, but doubt and lie is what stuffs me up. I want that trophy for getting all the questions right dammit icon_razz.gif.

mrpookles

$poons: 62.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I've been loving this so far. I agree that the characters generally aren't fleshed out enough, but the over-arching story is excellent and each individual case has been engrossing.

I rarely play games for more than about an hour and a half at a time. I think I've had one 4 hour session and a couple of 3 hour sessions. Very easy to slam through 3 cases in a row.

It's great for what it is.
Sin Ogaris

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
admeister
Luketheman5
As an aside I could have sworn one of the suspects in a case was Greg Grunberg (the cop guy from Heroes) he looked and sounded exactly like him (weird that he looked like him as well, but yeah), it's not him though.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zhaz

$poons: 35.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Sin Ogaris wrote:
As an aside I could have sworn one of the suspects in a case was Greg Grunberg (the cop guy from Heroes) he looked and sounded exactly like him (weird that he looked like him as well, but yeah), it's not him though.

Not true, it is Greg Grunberg. Look it up in the credits section of the instruction manual, he's credited as Hugo Moller.
Luketheman5

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I've also noticed Karl the bartender from How I Met Your Mother.

Sin Ogaris

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
admeister
That's where I knew that bartender from!

Also the dude in the evidence room was really familiar and Phelps and his partners (and captains) all look like their speaking counterparts. The only one that's different is the Homicide captain, he's a younger version of the actor.

I only thought I was wrong because LA Noire isn't mentioned on Grunberg's IMDB, glad to be proved wrong though. Adds another level to the already incredible standard of polish this game has in its presentation.
G3ck0

$poons: 3.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
It kind of looked like Alan from Two and a Half Men was one of the witnesses early on in the game. I googled it and other people thought the same, though he doesn't seem to be in the credits.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Crank

$poons: 838.60

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Grom
Think I've counted at least 5 cast members from Mad Men, and those are just the ones I recognise, there are probably more.

UPDATE: Just read that LA Noire used the same casting directors as Mad Men, so that explains that.

Last edited by Crank on Mon May 23, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total
Benza

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
G3ck0 wrote:
It kind of looked like Alan from Two and a Half Men was one of the witnesses early on in the game. I googled it and other people thought the same, though he doesn't seem to be in the credits.

haha was playing that bit with my mate in the room and as soon as he came on my mate was like "Hey it's allan!"
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive