Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Mortal Kombat reboot refused classification in Australia
Goto page Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Scubafinch




Status: Offline
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 24
$poons: 1.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad of this.

Whilst the game looks like a really good reboot and heaps of fun, there is no way that this game should be on the shelves with an MA15 rating. It sucks that there is no higher classification, but parents are so ill informed that they would happily go out and buy MA15 games for 12 year olds.

I was only in JB HIFI the other day and saw 3 excited kids getting their mum to buy Black Ops. The oldest could have been no more than 12! Perhaps an 18 on the box, like in the UK, would have made her think twice.

Until we get an 18 certificate, refused classification is the only answer for games with this level of violent content. As mentioned before, it's not the fault of the classification board. Hopefully the AGs can get a bloody move on and make a decision based on the consensus of the general population.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
sobriquet835




Status: Offline
Joined: 07 Jan 2009
Posts: 2369
$poons: 3.20
Location: Melbourne
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
I'm not surprised in the slightest, to be honest. I mean the detail on the skeletons breaking was always going to get this rc'd. My question is, would it be RC'd if we had an R rating? I get the feeling it still might have been.

That being said, this game is only good for the fatalities, which I can watch on Youtube anyway.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
grim-one




Status: Offline
Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 6646
$poons: 1567.30
Location: Perth
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Is the game really that different to the last 15 MKs though?

The only thing I can think of is the X-Ray moves, but they weren't mentioned in the report just fatalities.
_________________

Steam:grim_one | PSN/Live:najakh | Flickr
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
theory
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

Status: Offline
Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 9112
$poons: 1275.00
Location: Melbourne
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Scubafinch wrote:
I'm glad of this.

Whilst the game looks like a really good reboot and heaps of fun, there is no way that this game should be on the shelves with an MA15 rating. It sucks that there is no higher classification, but parents are so ill informed that they would happily go out and buy MA15 games for 12 year olds.

I was only in JB HIFI the other day and saw 3 excited kids getting their mum to buy Black Ops. The oldest could have been no more than 12! Perhaps an 18 on the box, like in the UK, would have made her think twice.

Until we get an 18 certificate, refused classification is the only answer for games with this level of violent content. As mentioned before, it's not the fault of the classification board. Hopefully the AGs can get a bloody move on and make a decision based on the consensus of the general population.

Absolutely.

I hope those kids don't stumble upon this website.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Ciel




Status: Offline
Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 1343
$poons: 514.40
Location: Melbourne
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
1

Vote:
dloiscute
Wonder if they'll release a gimped version for Austarlia, one where, when it says "Finish Him", you just walk over shake hands and say good match.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Benza




Status: Offline
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 14586
$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciel wrote:
Wonder if they'll release a gimped version for Austarlia, one where, when it says "Finish Him", you just walk over shake hands and say good match.



_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
theory
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

Status: Offline
Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 9112
$poons: 1275.00
Location: Melbourne
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Qbert




Status: Offline
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 4541
$poons: 209.00
Location: Guayaquil
ecuador.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
2

Vote:
Fetidchimp
John Marston
Got to wonder if it would have been acepted if the publisher behind it put more money forward...
_________________

Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
BurnZ




Status: Offline
Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Posts: 5964
$poons: 3093.00
Location: rocketchainsaw.com.au
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
1

Vote:
mikezilla2
From the report, spoilers wrote:
Kung Lao throws his metal hat into the ground and it spins like a buzz saw. He grabs his prone opponent by the ankles and drags their body through the saw, explicitly slicing them vertically in half. Copious bloodspray is noted. Kung Lao then holds up both halves of the corpse as blood pours out

Awesome. icon_biggrin.gif
_________________



R.I.P. DEJA VU - 21/08/2010
R.I.P. Tanya - 16/04/2011
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
drinniol




Status: Offline
Joined: 06 Nov 2005
Posts: 267
$poons: 19.90

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
evil_kenshin wrote:
actually thats incorrect you are not allowed to import RC items into any state/Territory and in W.A. (i believe this is the state could be another state) its illegal to posses RC items


Huh, you're right. $10 grand fine.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Soap of Death




Status: Offline
Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 649
$poons: 194.20
Location: Perth
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
1

Vote:
travers
Part of me wants to see a L4D2-like edited version just to see how bad it is.

"Please, GET OVER HERE!" No spear comes out, just Scorpion holding out his hand offering a gentleman's invitation to the opponent to come closer.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Gamesta




Status: Offline
Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 3636
$poons: 548.70
Location: SA
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Glad I have started buying games online about a month ago.
_________________
Welcome to the internet. Where any joke can turn into WWIII.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Pixie




Status: Offline
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 261
$poons: 124.40
Location: Brisbane
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Is it just me, or does anyone think this was a ramdom game they choose to RC? There's quite a few games in the shops now that in my opinion should be R18+.......
At least this has put the issue into the media circles again.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
el_rezzo




Status: Offline
Joined: 26 May 2007
Posts: 677
$poons: 35.40
Location: Geelong, VIC
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
More of my money going overseas! Aside from the Collectors Edition of The Witcher 2 I don't think I will be buying any games locally.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
el_rezzo




Status: Offline
Joined: 26 May 2007
Posts: 677
$poons: 35.40
Location: Geelong, VIC
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Scubafinch wrote:
I was only in JB HIFI the other day and saw 3 excited kids getting their mum to buy Black Ops. The oldest could have been no more than 12! Perhaps an 18 on the box, like in the UK, would have made her think twice.


Unfortunately those same kids could go to their parents and say, "Look mum! This game is only $40 if you buy it online from England!". Hopefully the youth of today hasn't discovered the internet.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Benza




Status: Offline
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 14586
$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
el_rezzo wrote:

Unfortunately those same kids could go to their parents and say, "Look mum! This game is only $40 if you buy it online from England!". Hopefully the youth of today hasn't discovered the internet.


Or hopefully they have so people have to start competing price wise when everyones going online.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Phreakuency




Status: Offline
Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 1272
$poons: 419.60

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
1. Shouldn't be surprised

2. It was always gonna be 50% cheaper to import anyway
_________________
My YouTube game videos!
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Balguren




Status: Offline
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 142
$poons: 14.40

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
This goverment is seriously messed up and acting like they own the ppl.. 5 people decide what you all can do thats rubbish IMO. Who knows if warner bros is smart they will make the xbox region free as is the ps3 so ppl can just buy them from other countries show the Aus goverment they lose more then they gain by banning games.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Scubafinch




Status: Offline
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 24
$poons: 1.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Phreakuency wrote:
It was always gonna be 50% cheaper to import anyway


Completely agree. The last 10 games I have bought have all been from the UK. Killzone 3 is incoming for AU$50 delivered. There are some great $79 deals locally, but they just can't compete with import prices.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
drinniol




Status: Offline
Joined: 06 Nov 2005
Posts: 267
$poons: 19.90

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Balguren wrote:
This goverment is seriously messed up and acting like they own the ppl.. 5 people decide what you all can do thats rubbish IMO. Who knows if warner bros is smart they will make the xbox region free as is the ps3 so ppl can just buy them from other countries show the Aus goverment they lose more then they gain by banning games.


It -was- the elected bodies of both Parliament and the Senate that enacted the laws.

You can be upset, just don't be dumb.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
myzz




Status: Offline
Joined: 07 Oct 2009
Posts: 809
$poons: 97.00
Location: Ipswich
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

RAGE!

oh well, looks like the UK gets my business
_________________
XBL - myzz
Steam - myzzy
PSN - myzzmang (very inactive)
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
DancesInUnderwear




Status: Offline
Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 5194
$poons: 9.00
Location: radelaide
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
theory wrote:
Scubafinch wrote:
I'm glad of this.

Whilst the game looks like a really good reboot and heaps of fun, there is no way that this game should be on the shelves with an MA15 rating. It sucks that there is no higher classification, but parents are so ill informed that they would happily go out and buy MA15 games for 12 year olds.

I was only in JB HIFI the other day and saw 3 excited kids getting their mum to buy Black Ops. The oldest could have been no more than 12! Perhaps an 18 on the box, like in the UK, would have made her think twice.

Until we get an 18 certificate, refused classification is the only answer for games with this level of violent content. As mentioned before, it's not the fault of the classification board. Hopefully the AGs can get a bloody move on and make a decision based on the consensus of the general population.

Absolutely.

I hope those kids don't stumble upon this website.


I assume you're trying to make a point here, but damned if I know what it is.


Scubafinch is absolutely correct, this Mortal Kombat simply can't be considered suitable for an MA15 rating, and with the system so flawed, theres no other option. I'm not sure having an R18+ rating is going to stop dumb parents buying unsuitable games for their children, though.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
piguma




Status: Offline
Joined: 17 Oct 2008
Posts: 167
$poons: 11.10
Location: Sydney
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Maybe they'll give us a copy like SNES MK1... no blood, only sweat.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
travers




Status: Offline
Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Posts: 216
$poons: 12.40
Location: Melbourne
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Soap of Death wrote:
Part of me wants to see a L4D2-like edited version just to see how bad it is.

"Please, GET OVER HERE!" No spear comes out, just Scorpion holding out his hand offering a gentleman's invitation to the opponent to come closer.


Awesome! I'm glad I'm not the ONLY strange bastard! icon_smile.gif
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Trex0321




Status: Offline
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 102
$poons: 1.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
I was in Eb games in roselands (sydney, nsw) a while ago, when Red Dead Redemption first came out. and some mother was buying it for her 2 under 8 yr old boys. the sales assistant informed her it was only suitable for yrs 15 plus, she said she didnt care, they wanted it.

Unfortunately, i don't think an r rating would stop games falling into in-appropriate hands. what seems to be the issue is when general public (uniformed) think of games, they think children, there's no link in their minds between gaming and adults. Its also clear that's the case with the AG's, as the OFLC's piece said, MK reboot was deemed in-appropriate for children. It wasnt aimed at children. it was an adult game aimed at adults. its very obvious to us, but not to everyone.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Page 2 of 3


Jump to: 
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum