Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Resident Evil 4 Review
Goto page 1, 2 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Chris
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

$poons: 15.60

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:59 pm Post subject: Resident Evil 4 Review Reply with quote

Resident Evil 4 Review by Chris
GCN Review: If only all games were this good.
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sEiFeR

$poons: 29.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Guess there's only one thing to say.....WOW

BUY GAMES OR THE BUNNY GETS IT
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
LordPaludis

$poons: 3.90
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
sigh.. I wish I had more money..
I suppose I'll have to get it off eBay or something.
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
LordPaludis wrote:
sigh.. I wish I had more money..
I suppose I'll have to get it off eBay or something.

Just sell a kidney or something, you only need to one to live, it's worth it icon_biggrin.gif

CurrentlyPlaying-MarioGalaxy,Metroid3,MarioStrikers,CoD4,Orange Box,GH3,PES2008
HeavenlySword,NGSigma,VF5,Ouendan2,Zelda:PH
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spanca
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 106.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I can't afford it at the moment either, and SC:CT is out the week after. My only options are to trade in some games or sell myself to Socko... icon_confused.gif

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
funniest review line ever:
Quote:
Umbrella Corporation has folded

icon_lol.gif

also, i assume you mean "Mercenaries" under Lifespan... icon_razz.gif

i'm glad this game is so good, but surely a 9.9 would be warranted, especially if you managed to find 2 things "wrong" with it (the weapon select and the 16:9 support)... this already negates the recommendation (which is, incidentally, also spelt wrong in the article...)

otherwise top stuff capcom, you may recall i'm not really a fan of the series, but if it's so good, i may just have to try it (albeit the no-doubt inferior PS2 version)

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Chris
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ObsoletE wrote:
funniest review line ever:
Quote:
Umbrella Corporation has folded

icon_lol.gif

also, i assume you mean "Mercenaries" under Lifespan... icon_razz.gif

i'm glad this game is so good, but surely a 9.9 would be warranted, especially if you managed to find 2 things "wrong" with it (the weapon select and the 16:9 support)... this already negates the recommendation (which is, incidentally, also spelt wrong in the article...)

otherwise top stuff capcom, you may recall i'm not really a fan of the series, but if it's so good, i may just have to try it (albeit the no-doubt inferior PS2 version)

PALGN doesn't do 0.1's, it goes 9.0, 9.5, 10, you know that icon_razz.gif

'Recommendation' being spelt wrong isn't my fault, it's a set template. I can't believe no one has noticed that until now, it's been like that for years.

ObsoletE

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mr_sockochris wrote:

'Recommendation' being spelt wrong isn't my fault, it's a set template. I can't believe no one has noticed that until now, it's been like that for years.
might i suggest you buck the trend and start going between, especially in case like this, where its so close to being perfect? i suppose other review sources use 10s when on the same score plan as you... i dunno, i don't like it there, and i don't like it here... just a minor grievance, it's not a matter i'm going to quit coming here over...

and i know re: recommendation, i only just noticed because i was pointing it out specifically, and thought it looked weird...

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Chris
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ObsoletE wrote:
mr_sockochris wrote:

might i suggest you buck the trend and start going between, especially in case like this, where its so close to being perfect? i suppose other review sources use 10s when on the same score plan as you... i dunno, i don't like it there, and i don't like it here... just a minor grievance, it's not a matter i'm going to quit coming here over...

I don't even like 0.5's if i'm honest, if I had my way it'd be a straight 1-10 scale. Scores aren't that important, they're just there for quick reference, the text will decribe the quality of a game highlight any problems it has. Afterall, what's the different between a 9.6 game and 9.8 game? If they're worth that kind of score then they're must-own games which is what reviews are for, to tell you what's worth buying and what isn't.

David

$poons: 0.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ObsoletE wrote:

Noooo! That's one of the most horribe things you could say! Go get a Gamecube for less then $80 on ebay or cash converters, and buy and play the Far superiour version 1 Year earlier. Not to mention GC games get far better Pal conversions which also come out quicker then then PS2 games (cough MGS2 and 3 cough). Otherwise, why not wait for the GBA port?

Tell you what, if you do, I'll send you a free momory card (postage at my expense) so you don't have that expense.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, why is this review up now? The PAL version is not out anywhere yet (unless you got an early copy), and it's over a month late for an import review.

I have a freeloader, and an import would actually be cheaper, but I'm waiting for the Pal release for 3 reasons:

1) The far better cover art

2) The higher resolution. I assume since it's a high profile game (and not on the "F*&% off PAL territories" PS2) it will get a good Pal conversion, and therefore be the best version in the world, having 16% higher resolution. (the drop in framerate is worth it for the extra Rez if they still keep it constant and speed the game up, via a good conversion)

3)The Bonus Disc Pal territories are getting: with a Resident Evil History and playable sections of every RE game!

I'll review the Pal release for you including any Pal changes and the Bonus disc when I get it next week.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Chris
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
D.Lo wrote:
On another note, why is this review up now? The PAL version is not out anywhere yet (unless you got an early copy), and it's over a month late for an import review.

It's out tomorrow in Europe, that's why it's up now. The review is based on the US version, but Capcom have said that the PAL version is the same as the US version, not the slightly edited JPN version which removed the decapitations and exploding heads, so I thought it would make more sense getting a review up in time for release.

David

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
It's the same game in content, but what about the conversion? And the extras?
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
GroovySamurai
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 0.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Yeah what extras does it have compared to the NTSC version?

Man 10/10 - the 'perfect' score, I could see it coming icon_razz.gif

Im probally going to get it next week, im just hoping its better control wise compared to RE on GC :/

Xbox ID - GroovySamurai
PSN ID - Groovy22
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Chris
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Capcom have been superb with PAL conversions for the past 2+ years, i've no reason to believe RE4 will be any different. The game has borders anyway so the only way they can mess things up is by not including a 60hz mode, again something Capcom have had in their games since the original Devil May Cry was (rightly) criticized for it's awful 50hz only conversion. As for the extras they're not something that'll effect the review or score in any way, they're just a nice bonus.

I'll confirm 60hz tomorrow.

David

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mr_sockochris wrote:
The game has borders anyway so the only way they can mess things up is by not including a 60hz mode
I'll confirm 60hz tomorrow.

A well converted 50Hz mode is better then including a 60Hz mode, although the option is nice if you have a small or crap TV and can't tell the resolution difference. There are 100 extra lines of data in a good Pal conversion, but with the framerate drop the machine can handle it fine since the fill rate remains almost constant (eg 625lines X 50Hz = 31250 lines/sec, 525lines X 60Hz = 31500lines/sec).

I have a huge flat screen and use component input, and let me tell you Metroid Prime looks signifigantly better in 50Hz mode, thanks to the additional resolution (which is why it sucks that Echoes had no 50Hz mode, but 60Hz is better then Bad 50 cough PS2 cough). So does almost every one of the 20 GC games I have (except Ubisoft games which aren't so well converted eg PoP) In Particular RE remake and RE Zero look a lot sharper and not "shimmery" since they're so detailed, so I'm really looking for a good 50Hz for RE4.

A lot of XB game are also well converted. Although as far as I know, no PS2 games have a proper 50Hz conversion. Some have a 60Hz mode (like Namco games), but even then it's not Pal60, just the NTSC version, so you have to have an an NTSC colour compatible TV.

The PS2 games that do have a full screen conversion have just had every fifth line doubled, so it maintains the lower NTSC res, just stretched (like a Pal 60 mode is anyway).

Anyway (will finish post later)
Spanca
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
D.Lo what the hell are you saying the PAL version isn't out yet for? It's out this week in Europe and next week in Australia. I'd say that's pretty perfect timing for the review.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Spanca wrote:
D.Lo what the hell are you saying the PAL version isn't out yet for? It's out this week in Europe and next week in Australia. I'd say that's pretty perfect timing for the review.

Um, because it ISN'T OUT YET?

It's good timing for the review, but it isn't the Pal code being reviewed.

It comes out in England Tomorrow and Australia next week.

If you'd read anything else I'd said which you obviously haven't, you see I was talking about How Pal versions of GC and XB games sometimes have improvements. And RE4 comes with a bonus disc in Pal.

Maybe read before you open your mouth/type?
mangaman

$poons: 45.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
The role of Leon:
CREEP........CREEP........
BLEAHBLAHBLAHBLAHGRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
AGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! CLICK...... CLICK.....
HURL! SMACK!
TUP TUP TUP TUP (runnning) TUP TUP TUP
HUFF.....HUFF....HUFFF
GRAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
EEEEKKKKK!!!!!!!
SLASH!!!!!

GAME OVER icon_smile.gif

Edit: This post sucks. Please think before you post in the future. -Cer.

check out my deviantart at http://mangalphantom.deviantart.com
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
LordPaludis

$poons: 3.90
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mr_sockochris wrote:
It's out tomorrow in Europe, that's why it's up now. The review is based on the US version, but Capcom have said that the PAL version is the same as the US version, not the slightly edited JPN version which removed the decapitations and exploding heads, so I thought it would make more sense getting a review up in time for release.

What's the point if there aren't any decapitations or exploding heads?? and I thought Japanese were into that kind of thing..
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I can't believe some of the people that post here. Seems to be the way with free forums. D.Lo, the reason I asked why you were on about the RE4 release is that YOU initially asked Chris why he was reviewing it now.

Quote:
That moron D.Lo said:
"On another note, why is this review up now? The PAL version is not out anywhere yet (unless you got an early copy), and it's over a month late for an import review."

I can't get over the idiocy of your post and total lack of logic. You question the timing of the review based upon the NTSC launch and PAL launch dates, despite the fact the game launches in PAL territories over the next week. Pretty perfect timing for a review on a PAL website is it not? Then when I point this out the first time, you return to say that the game isn't out yet, but that it releases over the next week in PAL territories... like I said in my first post.

I think I'll be sticking to IGN as most of the people I like here post there anyway, and I don't have to put up with some of the annoying posters.

Essentially what I'm saying is D.Lo is a Nazi, and I'm going to block him.
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Wrong time of the month is it, Spanca? icon_razz.gif

Hyperworm

$poons: 57.40
uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Spanca wrote:
I can't get over the idiocy of your post and total lack of logic. You question the timing of the review based upon the NTSC launch and PAL launch dates, despite the fact the game launches in PAL territories over the next week. Pretty perfect timing for a review on a PAL website is it not? Then when I point this out the first time, you return to say that the game isn't out yet, but that it releases over the next week in PAL territories... like I said in my first post.
What D.Lo is saying (and I'm not necessarily going to say I agree with him, but it's not totally illogical) is that he doesn't see any point in delaying a review so that it coincides with the launch date for a particular territory. If the review was going to be based on the US code, it should have been done a lot earlier and released earlier, not after a whole month; and now that we're so close to the PAL release, he's wondering why do a review on US code now so close to release; wait a couple of days, and you could do a proper non-import review on the PAL version of the game with its extras. icon_kero.gif

It's definitely got some logic to it, there doesn't need to be so much of a heated tone of voice and so much anger and bitterness around icon_eek.gif

Don't leave, Spanca... icon_biggrin.gif

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Hyperworm wrote:
Spanca wrote:
What D.Lo is saying (and I'm not necessarily going to say I agree with him, but it's not totally illogical) is that he doesn't see any point in delaying a review so that it coincides with the launch date for a particular territory. If the review was going to be based on the US code, it should have been done a lot earlier and released earlier, not after a whole month; and now that we're so close to the PAL release, he's wondering why do a review on US code now so close to release; wait a couple of days, and you could do a proper non-import review on the PAL version of the game with its extras. icon_kero.gif

It's definitely got some logic to it, there doesn't need to be so much of a heated tone of voice and so much anger and bitterness around icon_eek.gif

Don't leave, Spanca... icon_biggrin.gif

Pretty Much. Thanks. Although I didn't have a problem with the review - It's really good! I wasn't even complaining about it being the US code, just asking if it was the US code and offering to add to it (here) with info on the Pal release. I mean, the core Game is the same and it's the main thing being reviewed.

For god's sake, I even agreed in my first response "It's good timing for the review...."

I originally asked a question and was politley answered by the reviewer already. That case was closed. (I then went on a bit with potential changes to Pal versions, but it was semi-relevant)

The only problem I had was someone having a go at me for something I didn't do.

Apparently responding to someone misrepresenting me makes me a Nazi?
(On a side not, politically I'm a progressive socialist, which is pretty much the opposite of the nazi ideal)
Chris
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Just to clear a few things up:

PALGN doesn't really get alot of 'review-code' so alot of reviews, especially mine, are based on US or JPN copies of games that we have personally bought ourselves. It's much more beneficial for you readers and PALGN to get reviews up just before a game gets its PAL release. It's better for you guys because you get to know if a game is good or not in time to decide whether you want to buy it, and it's better for PALGN to get things up before PAL release in terms of getting more traffic to the site.

Of course there are games that are changed for PAL release which is part of the reason there has been no GT4 review yet as the GT games are famous for changes to cars and music, then there's the 50hz ONLY PAL conversion to consider. MGS3 is another as it's got a fair few extras that need to be considered when reviewing. But if they're the same then there's it's more beneficial to everyone if they're reviewed just before PAL release, so I should have a Devil May Cry 3 review up within a week as the PAL version is the same as the JPN version I have (not the US version which was slightly different in difficulty and restart points)

Oh, and PAL RE4 does have 60hz mode icon_smile.gif

Cerebral
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 737.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Sextacular. That's all I needed to know. icon_smile.gif

*leaves thread*

My play-asia affiliate link (I may as well be honest about this)
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive