Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Mafia II Preview
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Frozencry

$poons: 1628.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:09 am Post subject: Mafia II Preview Reply with quote

Mafia 2 Preview by Denny
PALGN Preview: Extended hands-on with a Made Man.
[View Article]

Last edited by Frozencry on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
cluderi

$poons: 3.40

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
It's been a long time since the original game and I'd forgotten how much I really enjoyed it. I won't be dipping for the collectors edition but I'll pick this one up on release.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Frozencry

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mikezilla2
Karai Pantsu
Also, feel free to shoot me a question here if you want to know anything specific about Mafia II. Because the screens on the preview are also downscaled due to our image system, I've uploaded some super high res ones for your viewing pleasure.

http://imgur.com/xRx9U.jpg
http://imgur.com/XZX7J.jpg
http://imgur.com/ASziA.jpg
http://imgur.com/ua3ro.jpg
http://imgur.com/VKb4m.jpg
http://imgur.com/2qMJ1.jpg
http://imgur.com/VEKy9.jpg
http://imgur.com/vWmPV.jpg
http://imgur.com/iUvcD.jpg
http://imgur.com/vZJ29.jpg
http://imgur.com/ilbZR.jpg
http://imgur.com/JwkxP.jpg
http://imgur.com/64wXS.jpg
http://imgur.com/7QLvL.jpg
http://imgur.com/SvIQt.jpg
http://imgur.com/LwVxy.jpg

I also took some shots of 'collectibles' you can get in the game, namely images from original Playboy mags. I can't show those though for some nude reasons icon_razz.gif

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Karai Pantsu
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 29.06
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
So, any idea what comes in the Collectors Ed. ?

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Apparently this:

Quote:
* Collectible SteelBook Casing: Brushed metallic SteelBook hard case with debossed logo containing two pieces of art featuring Vito and Joe, the stars of Mafia II.
* Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modeled after cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new "made man" suits, including a vintage tux.
* Hardcover Art Book: Get to know the families of Empire Bay with a 100-page photo album-style art book that takes fans through the artistic design process of the game.
* Mafia II Orchestral Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in Empire Bay's symphonic masterpiece with the Mafia II score recorded by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra on CD.
* Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighborhoods and own the streets with a high quality, tear-resistant map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

Ignore the title of the preview btw with "Collectors Ed". No idea why it auto-named itself to that.

Karai Pantsu
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cheers, pretty standard fare - but I can't help thinking that the soundtrack and artbook will be better than most.

Also, know that I am a jealous man.

$poons: 178.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Having played more of the game, do you think there will be any cause for the censorship police to ban this one?

$poons: 709.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
It's good to hear that they got the atmosphere down. It's been too long since we've had a decent Mafia tale in the videogame medium. It's sad that the original game is still the best option available if that's what you're after. Looks like it'll be up to this team again to deliver the goods, and judging by the preview, they've pulled it off.

From what you've played, how closely does the mission structure resemble that of the first game? One of the strongest aspects of the original was how well paced the missions were. Did you get a sense of that with this preview build?

P.S. - I hate you for getting to play the game early :)

Say You Want A Revolution
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
PixieGirl

$poons: 640.60
uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Why are all the pictures Denny posted in suuuper widescreen? icon_lol.gif

This is the next game I will be buying, I might even preorder!! Pix loves a good story + immersiveness <3

Karai Pantsu
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Frozencry
PixieGirl
'Cause Denny rocks out Eyefinity style.

I only hate him a little bit for this.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Yes.. interesting.. is that one of the features of the game, taking 180 degree screenshots of the environment? I can see a little distortion on the edges (left and right) that indicates some stretching.. and I can see where you actual game screen seems to begin and end.. but there's all this extra there.. if it is a feature, I certainly welcome it though I hope it's an option that can be switched off.. I wouldn't want ALL the screenshots I take to be like that.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Karai Pantsu wrote:

Oh nice.. is that available only in 3-screen mode, or can you run it like that for two screens?

$poons: 1588.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Frozencry
From memory I think Denny said it can support up to 6 screens, obviously not all in a row though. But two rows of 3, or something.

This could also just be me having nerdgasm's over the possibility of that much place space.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
PixieGirl

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jahanzeb
Frozencry
grim-one
Karai Pantsu wrote:

Ohhh so that's what Eyefinity is icon_lol.gif seems like a waste of money to me =P

Frozencry

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mikezilla2
Capoeira
PixieGirl
To clarify, Eyefinity is 'not' an option in any game. It's a resolution switch, in this case 5040x1050. The aspect ratio is 48:10 in this resolution, and the game does not stretch, it actually adds things you cannot normally see on a single screen. The reason why it tends to bend on the left and right screens though is because it's not supposed to act as a pure super wide flat shot; it's peripheral vision and adds that slight stretch out so that when you move, it feels like you're passing by things. It's a similar effect to 3D, really. And it works exceptionally well at that.

Sin wrote:
From memory I think Denny said it can support up to 6 screens, obviously not all in a row though. But two rows of 3, or something.

This could also just be me having nerdgasm's over the possibility of that much place space.

Yes, Eyefinity 6. You either need crossfire or an eyefinity 6 edition card for it. That's more practical for workflow though, but you can use 3 screens on desktop and the other 3 on gaming:

PixieGirl wrote:
Ohhh so that's what Eyefinity is. Seems like a waste of money to me =P

For someone who doesn't work in heavy 3D/audio/digital media stuff, it's a little bit more of an ego flashy thing to get. It's the best investment I've put into my setup in years though, as it's helped me speed up workflow in 3D by an enormous margin.

And also I'll have to admit, every one of my friends who were sketchy about it, were completely sold after trying it at my place. Especially because of Bad Company 2 running on it, and this game.

Capoeira wrote:
It's good to hear that they got the atmosphere down. It's been too long since we've had a decent Mafia tale in the videogame medium. It's sad that the original game is still the best option available if that's what you're after. Looks like it'll be up to this team again to deliver the goods, and judging by the preview, they've pulled it off.

From what you've played, how closely does the mission structure resemble that of the first game? One of the strongest aspects of the original was how well paced the missions were. Did you get a sense of that with this preview build?

P.S. - I hate you for getting to play the game early icon_smile.gif

I can't answer you this without talking to Jeremy, who played the E3 build and the original. I never got around to getting the original Mafia unfortunately, as much as I was interested in it. But from what I've talked with Jeremy it tends to follow a similar structure in its missions, just with a lot more polish and such behind it. The story areas I did play were really nicely done (and had a LOT of black kind of humor in it, really adds a lot), and I imagine most of the game will be similar to this, as the 4 chapters were spread quite far apart across from the game.

I do have another game I'll be previewing sometime soon as well, another 2k game. I can't talk about that yet though ; D

Phew, lots of questions!

Jarrod

$poons: 369.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mikezilla2
Jeremy
Denny.

Go find yourself a copy of Mafia. Play it. Then bask in one of the best game narratives and stories in the medium.

DO ITTTTTTTTT

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Sin Ogaris

$poons: 1588.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Don't forget the most AMAZING free roam experience you will ever find in a video game post story completion. No other open World game has actually had me so interested in searching every single nook and cranny to discover that last minigame.

Damn you alien invader, I will chase you until the day I die!
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
light487

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
The Eyefinity in the 3 screen setup looks great, especially if you can get some razor-edge monitors but the 6 screen thing, unless using a razor-edge monitor, would be just too distracting for me with that horizontal line running throughout.

The peripheral thing is great I had a look at some of the videos online before your reply and there's one where the game character is running across a long bridge, like in Heavenly Sword, and it makes a huge difference to the feeling of actually running down a narrow bridge.

$poons: 47.40
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Capoeira
Denny wrote:
Capoeira wrote:

P.S. - I hate you for getting to play the game early icon_smile.gif

I can't answer you this without talking to Jeremy, who played the E3 build and the original. I never got around to getting the original Mafia unfortunately, as much as I was interested in it. But from what I've talked with Jeremy it tends to follow a similar structure in its missions, just with a lot more polish and such behind it. The story areas I did play were really nicely done (and had a LOT of black kind of humor in it, really adds a lot), and I imagine most of the game will be similar to this, as the 4 chapters were spread quite far apart across from the game.

Problem is that I've only played the one mission - which i think Denny got to play as well. Best I can say is that the structure is quite similar to the original, from that one mission, but there was a bit more variety thrown in through out. As far as pacing goes, it felt great and just like the original.

And yes, Jarrod is correct. Denny, play the original. Do it.

$poons: 709.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
grim-one
August seems so far away...

Also, play the first game Denny. That makes four people now, so i guess this this thread is now an intervention.

Say You Want A Revolution
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
PixieGirl

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Frozencry
I just noticed this was available for Preorder today on Steam icon_smile.gif which is nice because I was just thinking about where I could preorder! Soo of course I just bought this icon_biggrin.gif

I got Mafia 1 free which I already have on a disk :/ It's a shame I couldn't have gifted it, I could have given it to you Denny... You need to play it, it is one of the best games I know of making a good atmosphere. The story is also really good and involving, and the game has aged really well!

PixieGirl

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Has anybody noticed the price changed since earlier today? I could have sworn I bought the Digital Deluxe for $59.99 and now it's $89.99!! how strange!

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive