Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City Review
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jeremy

$poons: 47.40
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:06 pm Post subject: Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City Review Reply with quote

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City Review by Jeremy
PS3 Review: And now, the story is complete.
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
el_rezzo

$poons: 35.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Ballad of Gay Tony is awesome, returns to the brilliance of GTA3 and Vice City. Lost & Damned is an interesting little Son's of Anarchy takeoff, felt very much like a basic expansion but still pretty good. Also removed the friends and hassle of getting guns and transport. The fact that they made the bikes finally worth using with the new handling makes it a much purchase, I can't describe how much better they are. In any case I thought Gay Tony was leagues better than the basic GTAIV and it's one of the most enjoyable games I've played this year, with great characters and writing.
If you liked any of the old GTA's I would recommend giving Gay Tony a whirl as it is pretty much a next gen version of Vice City, with even more bombastic missions like jumping onto a train while shooting down helicopters with an explosive shotgun to decouple the subway car to be airlifted away by a crazy manchild.

$poons: 27.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I just could not believe how much more polished TBAGT looked that TLAD. I didn't turn off the grainy filter, which may have made some difference but i just think it lacked a little. The stories were hilarious and thoroughly entertaining. Got me nice and pumped for red dead.

$poons: 13.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Man, it seems like ages since I played these.
Great fun to be had if you feel the need to return to Liberty City.
I'll be heading off to the Wild West now.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
matrix-cat

$poons: 127.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jeremy
I'm playing through TLAD now in anticipation for RDR, and I'm not enjoying myself at all. GTA IV is a source of endless depression for me; I pick it up every couple of months to try and see where all those reviewers found their perfect 10s, but I never last more than half an hour. That control scheme - the worst, most overwrought control scheme I'm come across this generation - just makes everything moment of play so awkward.

I bought the 360 Episodes disc when it came out but I hadn't touched TLAD until today. Gay Tony was delightful, though. A return to the PS2 glory days when gameplay and mission design took precedence over gloomy realism. Still held back by those awful controls, of course, but the fantastic missions took care of that.

The first few hours of TLAD are terrible, though. All the characters sound the same, and I've spent about half an hour riding around the city amongst jerky AI bikers who crash into me every corner, fighting with that woeful cover-based shooting where you have to stand up and sit down between every shot you fire.

It sounds to me like RDR has changed enough of the gameplay to make things acceptable, but I'm really hoping that Rockstar will see the need for a massive overhaul for the next batch of GTA games. There's no reason these games need anything more complicated than standard cover-based-shooter controls. If you dropped, say, Uncharted's control scheme into nuGTA it'd automatically be about five times better.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive