Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Resonance of Fate Review
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Michael Kontoudis

$poons: 221.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:47 am Post subject: Resonance of Fate Review Reply with quote

Resonance of Fate Review by Michael
PS3 Review: Really Pretty Galling.
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
1802nv

$poons: 0.20

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
thanks for the review, might pick this up when its cheap.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
sharkfinblues

$poons: 22.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished this last night and loved every minute of it. I recommend checking this out if you're at all interested.

The story is weak but the characters are likeable and the world is nicely realised. I completely agree with the sentiment on art direction over polygon counts.

Regarding "Resonance of Fate fails to deliver the sweeping, exciting story so critical to the genre", I agree with the first point but, when the battle system and gun customisation is as enjoyable as ROF's, the mechanics are their own reward. I couldn't put it down.

I don't think the battle system was "unbelievably intricate". There are a number of facets to it, but the tutorial does do a terrible job of covering them. I didn't discover some of the finer details until I was 3/4 finished, but, a few certain boss fights aside, I thought the game provided a steady progression in difficulty and demanded you learn to master the battle system in a progressive way.

I hope there are sequels!

EDIT: I have the asian version of the game... I wonder if the manual explains some of the battle system details I didn't discover until late in the game?
dloiscute

$poons: 1627.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ZeroX03
Nice work sharkfinblues. Just how hard is it? Like Demon's Souls hard? Or something more challenging?

☑Tekken
sharkfinblues

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not even remotely as brutal as Demon's Souls. Like I said, I thought the game provided a steady progression of difficulty... even without a complete uinderstanding of the battle system initially, I never found it discouraging. By the end, when I really needed to know how things worked, I'd figured everything out.

So saying, here's some things that weren't covered or I missed in the tutorial:

- When doing resonance attacks, no matter who starts the attack, you can change who leads it by pressing L1/R1 (you pretty much want that to be your machine gunner)

- Your party doesn't have to attack in the same order each phase. Once all characters have had an action, the third character (for example) can have another action immediately, followed by the other two.

- Don't be afraid to take NO action with characters if you want a party member to have two turns in a row and you're not at the end of an action phase - the enemies only move when you move.

Ok, that's enough from me. :)
Fetidchimp

$poons: 60.20

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I must say he did play the utter arse out of it.....i did come home one night and he says, i mastered the battle system.....then next night i get home and he says remember how i said i mastered the battle system, it made me master it some more.
I made the comment that it seemed like playing a programming language, which i liked.
And the insane gun configurations are absolutely hilarious.
Cyph

$poons: 716.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Interesting review, perhaps I should keep my eye open for this cheap. Any difference between the 360 and PS3 versions?
JmiYeo

$poons: 154.20
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyph wrote:
Interesting review, perhaps I should keep my eye open for this cheap. Any difference between the 360 and PS3 versions?

AFAIK, the only difference is a T-shirt design for Reanbell between the 2 version.

I initially thought this game did factor in more for the western audience, but as I progress in the game, my initial impression was incorrect.

Yes the narrative may be considered as badly done in the eyes of a western gamer. However, as a predominate JRPG gamer, the story progression is typical of a "Slice of Life" manga genre. The weak main plot progression with heavy "filler" events/stories presents a better experience of "daily life" in a steam-punk world for the player. The player is to take their time, experience and grind. This is not a game for those who like to buy it, rush it through and return within 7 days.

The filler stories/events are light and humourous, to balance the heavy grind and initial high learning curve. The main plot is weak as it's only purpose is to serve as chapter progression to the "end", and a start, if the player so chooses, another level of difficulty in the numerous "New Game+", slowly trying out different weapon customisation, characters setup, fashion and fighting strategies.
dloiscute

$poons: 1627.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ZeroX03
Kyle Clarthy
Thanks sharkfinblues and JmiYeo for your opinions.

I've been (along with others here) on the fence for this one since before launch. I haven't really been taking notice of review scores, so that hasn't been the problem.

I think I will just wait until it is a bit cheaper before I pick it up.

I recon just around semester break in 8 or so weeks will be a good time then ^_____^. I guess it is a good thing that I hold off now. I have chipped away at all of my unplayed/unfinished games and surprisingly only have Tales of Vesperia left.

☑Tekken
el_rezzo

$poons: 35.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Thanks for the additional comments guys, I'll keep an eye out for it. I do enjoy a game with some depth.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cheers for the feedback sharkfinblues and JmiYeo. Looks like an interesting enough game, I'll see if I can find it at a sweet price for my ps3 then icon_smile.gif
Kyle Clarthy

$poons: 2463.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
dloiscute
admeister
ARRRRRRGH!

Curse you, PALGN! icon_wink.gif

This game is really causing me to go crazy, I think. I cannot for the life of me make up my mind about whether to get this game or not, and then I'll hear of someone who thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread, and then someone else who thinks it's a great "tri-Ace" game, and then someone else who will think, "meh, it's a tri-Ace game", and yet someone else who thinks it's dog's breakfast.

I can't figure out whether to get it or not, even from everything I have read. Things I've seen can't be unseen and some of what I've seen doesn't make me smile, but for some reason I keep on coming back to this game, devouring any article I can about it in the hope that something will finally make me choose one way or the other.

Unfortunately the review isn't the thing that changes my opinion either way.

What a nightmare!

(dlo, you're going to love Vesperia! I can't recommend or praise it enough!)

Jahanzeb

$poons: 7.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

^follow your heart bro.

I did the same for many of these niche and obscure JRPGs, never regretted once.

and besides, you've been on a JRPG roll lately, so why not?

Now Playing:
Sonic Generations
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
admeister

$poons: 982.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice there Jahanzeb, that's the kind of attitude I like to encourage. icon_smile.gif Don't be afraid to go out on a limb, you never know what you'll find.

As for me, I've been interested in this game since the first trailer was released and caught my eye. Since then, after seeing more, I've decided to buy the game but I don't believe it's worth the full $70 it's going for. I'll wait until it's about $45-50 and then snap it up!

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty." - Fact Sphere.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
arbok

$poons: 237.30
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
im getting this - it should be great.

i dont get why everyone wants accessible easy games.

i prefer something new and fresh and despite what are some obvious flaws - this game seems to have them

With Thanks to Admeister for the Avatar and Sig!!
Xbox Live: arbok26
PSN: arbok26
Cyph

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
admeister wrote:
, I've decided to buy the game but I don't believe it's worth the full $70 it's going for.

Where have you seen it for $70? Everywhere I've gone its for $90 +!
sharkfinblues

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
mikezilla2
THEMAN
In retrospect, I think it's definitely worth full price. For me. I haven't been this hooked on a game since Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls before it.

If you don't mind importing, HKOfferhouse have the Xbox US version for USD $58 and the Asian Xbox version for USD $49. At that price, it's a steal. They're currently out of stock of the PS3 versions.
Kyle Clarthy

$poons: 2463.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it ... well, I hope. icon_wink.gif

I got mine from Dungeon Crawl. It's quite cheap there, actually. Ad, check it out if you're keen. Something like $59 plus postage. Oh, that's for the 360 version, sorry. Not sure about the PS3 version, which I'm assuming you'd get.

admeister

$poons: 982.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
dloiscute
mikezilla2
Kyle Clarthy wrote:
Well, I bought it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it ... well, I hope. icon_wink.gif

Good man, that's the way. icon_smile.gif Thanks for mentioning Dungeon Crawl, I think I'll still hold off for a bit longer though. I've already got Sakura Wars on the way anyway, which will probably suck up my gaming time.

Cyph: I was actually referring to how much it's going for on Play-Asia, sorry if that was misleading!

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty." - Fact Sphere.
Cyph

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Let us know how you go Kyle, I'm interested to hear your opinion.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive