Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Heavy Rain Discussion: New Gameplay Footage Released
Goto page Previous 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
LeonJ

$poons: 1868.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I've only had the game completetly crash once so far. I'm about 4ish chapters into it.

Does feel unpolished in parts though. Some of the collision detection when walking is nasty.

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Flameforge

$poons: 15.90

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I'm on a launch 60GB playing offline. Did about 4-5 hours last night with no show stoppers, but have had music skipping and Ethan's TV started playing audio again even though I'd turned it off (that freaked me out).

I was also a bit worried about the immersion when 10 minutes into the start I went to have a shave and this happened: http://twitpic.com/15bnwo LOL. It was fine after he got dressed though.

Absolutely loving the game. So atmospheric and emotional.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Peveus

$poons: 750.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thats why you should never shave against the grain.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Cyph

$poons: 716.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Woah, that's nasty. I remember seeing similar artifacts on my PC when my video card was overheating......
Ryvenor

$poons: 18.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Gregsy
LeonJ
Just finished my first playthrough...

WOAH! What an amazing game, im not sure what else to say to describe it. A lot of very interesting twists and turns....was kinda shocked to find out who the Origami Killer was.

9/10 from me!
Kikujir0

$poons: 114.90
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I got the unpunished playthrough. icon_sad.gif I think I did it wrong icon_biggrin.gif

Lauren and the FBI agent died, sigh need to go back again.

PC Gamer Pewpew

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Neonyx

$poons: 93.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Kikujir0
Ethan and Jayden died in my playthrough. I got the "So Close..." ending (The Old Warehouse - Reach the end with all characters.. And fail.) That really ticked me off.. Haha.
Michael Kontoudis

$poons: 221.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I got the happy ending; although I may have accidentally let someone drown :S

Heavy Rain is an interesting experience, but I'm still not sure it was a game. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, though - it's just that it scratched a very different itch than a traditional game does. The satisfaction it gave me was somewhere between playing a game and watching a compelling film.

My biggest complaints are (1) that the resolution of the mystery doesn't actually make sense and that the game plays fast and loose with the truth in order to keep its 'twist hidden, and (2) that the game either wallowed in quiet domesticity (like changing a baby's nappy or frying some eggs) or was going full-pelt (all the ludicrous chase and fight scenes). The most effective scenes were the quiet scenes with massive consequences, where the stakes were dramatic, yet the scale was personal.

Anyway, enough blathering. Heavy Rain is a very special game, but far from perfect. For my money, it feels like an 8 out of 10. It's technical quality and sheer ambition make it a must-play.
G3ck0

$poons: 3.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
How long is it? Is it good enough to replay two or three times?
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
phenomenon9999

$poons: 30.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Sambo110 wrote:
How long is it? Is it good enough to replay two or three times?

My first play through was 8.5 hours. 2nd playthrough was around 7 hours.

The game has replayability because of the alternative choices or senarios that you want to see. It apparently has 22 endings too so there is some reasons to return. Plus, a lot of people have a different senario experience on their playthrough.
G3ck0

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
And there is a trophy for seeing all the endings? Wow.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
phenomenon9999

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Sambo110 wrote:
And there is a trophy for seeing all the endings? Wow.

Yes. A GOLD one. The trophies are mostly simple too. I got over 1/2 of them in the first playthrough. I need 5 more to Platnium the game. It seems quite easy but maybe a little time consuming.

If you havent played or heard anything about it, then replaying it will be not a problem either. For my 1st playthrough, I tried to do all the "good" options possible (under videogame law, being good always seems to reap better rewards -eg: trophies for this game) and to see who the origami killer was.
The 2nd playthrough was to see the different alternatives.

Btw, the 8 hour playthrough, I was seriously rushing too. I rush games ASAP and it took forever!
G3ck0

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
That's a little ridiculous. Having to play through at least 22 times? And then you might accidentally get the same ending a couple of times. There has to be something else to that trophy.
phenomenon9999

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Sambo110 wrote:
That's a little ridiculous. Having to play through at least 22 times? And then you might accidentally get the same ending a couple of times. There has to be something else to that trophy.

I got like 4 epilogues in my 1st ending or so depending on what you do in game. The epilogue count as an "ending" so thats the thing. So you basically look for 22 different cut scenes. It saves in the chapter select so you just need to find out which ones you are missing and play the game again accordingly to get them.
LeonJ

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Buttmouth
Smurf80
You know, I was playing this tonight and thought, wow this game would work really well with M$'s Natal.

This game is totally designed for this. It would be an amazing experience.

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Gamesta

$poons: 548.70
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Peveus wrote:
Although the only other thing I can say (which seems unlikely to affect anything) is that I was playing offline.

Yeah that doesn't change a thing.Like I said I tried it once without the patch which means that I HAD to play it offline but the glitch still happened.
Gregsy

$poons: 128.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
bobboblaw
WOW, what a trip.

Bought the game... well did the whole trade 3 games and get it free from JB. Thank you JB, you've done it again!

Anyway, have played the entire game in one sitting. I could not be pulled away from the TV. Well, to pee maybe. Anyway, I'll admit the game does have a few technical problems... sound cutting out, the game locking up, then playing again. It did freeze on me twice in my playthrough, in what took about 10 hours. But none of this happened that often. I mean if it did, I would have given up a long time ago.

So many twists and turns like Ryvenor mentioned. I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't have the Origami Killer spoiled for me. So I was shocked to see who it was, and disappointed. Below I'll tell you why.

So I might as well hit you guys with my ending... put in spoilers for the hell of it. Well, I'm going to mention the Origami Killer, so if none of you know who it is yet... don't highlight the text.

Spoilers wrote:
Norman, Madison and Ethan all survived (I thought he drank poison, must have been a trick). Scott died... and he was my favourite character up until I found out his secret. I saved Shaun, w00t. Wasn't letting that kid drown, not after his stupid brother killed himself. Yes, it was his own fault, not his fathers.

Blake is a dick, I hope somewhere in the game you can kill him. Will definitely have to go through and have a look. I'll be on that straight away.

Ethan and Madison end up together in my ending... didn't reject her in the apartment, probably a good thing she came in handy in the end.

I want the ARI sunglasses, so fucking cool. Even moreso in the full game.

EDIT: Lauren drowned... didn't realise you could save her. Haha, meh, wasn't very fond of her anyway. It's unusual thinking about it now that Scott began to grow so fond of her even though she was beginning to find out the truth.

Anyways, if I have more to add, I'll just edit my post, but yeah. I'll give the game a 9/10. So worth grabbing. To be honest, this game has probably got more out of me than my entire catalogue in the past month or so.

Last edited by Gregsy on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total
LeonJ

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I'm about half way through. This game is simply stunning and probably one of the best *next-gen* experiences I've had. I'm so glad I bought it. I thought it was going to be a throw away title but it's just so good and absorbing.

Brilliant stuff. I miss games like this, they don't make em anymore!

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Smurf80

$poons: 261.60

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:36 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Hopefully with the success of this one the genre might be revamped.

Thanks to segax for the sig!
bigjimmystyle

$poons: 59.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Man, this game is being let down hard by the voice acting.
Enjoying it regardless, but they really should've spent some money on some decent voice actors (or a better script for that matter). Hopefully it gets better.

$poons: 750.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Well I just beat the game. Had a really sickly sweet ending for me, and I got the trophy for four characters left alive so over all I'm pretty happy with that, I expected to mess up so many times and I seem to have gotten the best ending there is!

That's gonna make replays suck, because I'll never top that icon_sad.gif

I have to say I had a theory about the killer and was wrong, it was a total surprise to me who it was. What bugs me is the big whopping plothole in the game, but I won't say anything more about it here.

Overall, fantastic game that exceeded my expectations. And I'm so very glad it resisted the urge of most games to go completely unrealistic realms.
ittekimasu

$poons: 411.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Finished the game in the early hours of the morning, was a bit disappointed in the amount of time it takes to finish it but soon realised how long i had actually sat in one spot and finished it just showing how immersive it was for me.

I'm wanting to play through again to see the alternative endings but decided for now just to play the DLC that comes with the collectors edition was a pretty good bonus having a whole chapter added thou

$poons: 2570.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Finshed the game just then, I found it awesome, its completely reminded me of old school point and click games - which I love.

I got the same ending that Gregsy mentioned there. Had 4 characters still alive. (FBI agent died for some ridiculous reason)

The game took too long to build up to an exciting story, I know it was done like that to build characters up, but really... it was just too long before everything started to click into place.

When compared to Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, which had IMO one of the greatest introductory scenes ever it just didn't live up.

But the 2nd half of the game did not disappoint at all.

There were a few plot holes that needed to be explored more in depth, such as the origins of the FBI agent (damn I just forget his name) Some of the quick time events were a bit annoying... Crowd scenes were frustrating, and holding R2 was a bit unnecessary.

The best thing about the game, when you fail, you start mashing X button while you wait for the 'reload checkpoint' screen but the game just continues onwards like that was what you were supposed to do. It was a great feeling, and really did hammer in that your choices stick...

I'd slap it with a 9/10
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
redemption

$poons: 139.00

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Finished it, had one or two bugs pop up. (there was a point where i'm not sure if there was meant to be audio, i got the impression there was. another point when the TV was still playing sound, even though i turned it off. and just as the first epilogue was playing, the game froze.) other then that, played fine.

my end game wrote:

First time, i lost Madison when she jumped to escape from the fire, and Ethan was gunned down by the Blues after rescuing Shawn. Jayden was sent away after falsely accusing Blake as the Killer. I'd saved Lauren though. But ...

i went back and played through from the chapter where Jayden puts the evidence together. Things started out a bit better this time. Everyone made it to the warehouse, but i messed up playing as Madison and then Ethan Died, and Jayden fingered the Killer. Shelby died though.

The Voice acting is a bit all over the place. I did read one review that suggests 'pretend it takes place in Canada'. Wouldn't be bad advice if i could figure out why a Hoover would be sent there. But really, there were only a few characters were the acting bothered me. Scott and Jayden where pretty good.

But yeah, really enjoyed the game. I'll probably go back and play from the beginning again in the next couple of days. See if i make the same choices/mistakes.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Just to bring a negative up.... what was really annoying about the game is that some character need to be able to jog/run.

Don't theses people know how to power walk? It would of been so useful.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive