Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Movies (Rules on First Page)
Goto page Previous 1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 216, 217, 218 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
ObsoletE

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
cosmoh
Benza
Sin Ogaris
Terminator Salvation
(probably some spoilers - so be aware before reading.)

ok, so most people know i'm a huge fan of the first 2 films, and pretty much disown the third.
so...

(drumroll...)

i quite liked it - in a Star Wars prequels kinda way. (take from that what you will i suppose, but i love the original SW films, and i'm ok with the prequels - though they could've been improved, even without removing anything, just tuning them to be better. i guess the same is true of this film.)

there were some completely random elements, such as the mute kid (is that Earl Jnr from My Name is Earl?) and Kate Brewster/Connor being pregnant, but it never being mentioned (when i mentioned that to Benc82 after the film, he said "Setting it up for a John Connor, Jnr spin-off").

there seemed to be little cohesion between the characters at points too. like bobboblaw said, cuts within a scene would occasionally bring about complete makeovers in personality, and back again, and there were several instances of things happening (significant things within the story) with no real reason why - mostly, John Connor deciding to trust Marcus Wright after his escape. there wasn't enough done to build that trust - i thought.
i suppose i would've dumped the Blair character, and made that roll John's. give John a reason to trust Marcus before being "betrayed" by his condition.
we could've then done away with the escape scene, and had more war scenes.

there were a few time discrepancies i thought too - mostly Kyle Reese being far too old for that time (if he had been the mute kid, it would've made sense, but he was about 5-10 years too old for what he comes back to 1984 as - without mentioning that there should've been no reason for Skynet to even know who Kyle Reese was, or would become, so should not have been PE#1.)

it's kinda strange, but i really thought there'd be more actual war stuff too. i mean there was some, but almost all of that was shown in the trailers to some extent, so there wasn't really anything new to see.

so i guess the summary is that in general, i liked the ideas of this film, but the devil was in the details - and like the SW prequel trilogy, if those details had been better written, the film could've been so much more.

i'm not going to give a score - i don't think i can.
i thought it added to the Terminator mythos sufficiently well to get my tick of approval in that regard - so i guess that's a kind of win.

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Frozencry

$poons: 1628.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Terminator Salvation, thought it was meh. Nothing special, lots of plotholes too. Could've been done a whole lot better and I really felt it needed to be longer. Many scenes just seemed to cut to another really abruptly.

Also, how's this for an ultimate mindf***:
When Marcus was talking to the AI in the Skynet room, and he breaks the glass, notice how he breaks it with a stool?

Think about that. A stool. Why the f*** do machines have a stool. They're robots, they don't need to sit

It seriously blew my mind.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
ObsoletE

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
^ best complaint ever.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
diogenes92

$poons: 35.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:15 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
theory
Buttmouth
?oe?oe
Fanboys

I've been wanting to see this for a long while now. While it definitely has some hilarious moments I do have my issues with it, mainly concerning the whole plot. There's a great premise here that had a lot of potential. This story set not too long before the release of The Phantom Menace about these friends - who're obviously Star Wars fanboys - who travel across the state to get their hands on a rough cut of the movie as one of them is dying from cancer and only has a couple of months left. However, I didn't think it was executed as well as it could have been. It could have been done a whole lot better. Then again, it was to be expected as it was intended to be released a few years ago, and since then it has encountered many issues and gone through numerous different cuts. Anyways, it's nonetheless a very funny movie. Fans of Star Wars (and Star Trek alike) will get a whole lot of fun out of this. The countless cameos are great as well. From Seth Rogen to William Shatner.

6/10
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
cosmoh

$poons: 9.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Terminator Salvation
Enjoyed it alot, went in expecting very little enjoyment after the travesty that was T3, so I can sufficently say I had a good time. There were quite a few plotholes, but I'm not extremely picky, I was to busy being blown away by the action seens. Very cool. As for the ending, found it to be kinda predictable, SOILER I reckon that Marcus will be back, he's a terminator of course he will be brought back to life. END SPOILER As an over all rating id give it 3 and a half stars. It's easy to see past it's faults because it was such fun to watch. Also gets another half star for that one epic scene, in which pretty much everyone in the cinema had an urge to turn around and hi five the person next to them. Those who've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Wolverine: Origins
I really liked this film. As a fan of the previous X-men films, this wasn't something that i'd wait for the dvd to see. Particular parts of the movie I liked were: The opening credits, with Logan and Victor fighting through all of the wars together, the fighting scenes, Liev Schriebler's brilliant acting and the special effects.

The only part that i think needed work was that there wasn't enough character development, and I know that even though the focus was on Wolverine, there should have been more screentime with the rest of his team. Overall, 4 out of 5 stars.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
?oe?oe

$poons: 114.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Up
A worthwhile ride in another Pixar magic cloud. Who would have thought an old man and a fat asian kid would lead a movie, but they do. Dug the dog is a great character, who I felt never reached his full potential. Was it possible for him to break out of character?

The story is very light, absolutely no tanglement is present. This isn't a bad thing, it just means the overall experience is somewhat lacking. But I did enjoy the quiet moments of Carl looking back at his past, his late wife, something that will obviously fly over children's heads as they watch.

Overall, it isn't a strong outing for Pixar, but this, as usual will stick out on it's own, because it is a great movie.

Wolverine: Origins
Before I start, I may as well mentioned I haven't seen The Last Stand, because I already heard it was terrible, as did I hear for this film. I did enjoy the first two, the second especially. Strange that I watch this instead of the third. I'm sure I would've liked The Last Stand better then this pointless prequel.

Pointless is a bit harsh, but it is so because it is done so badly. It is really boring. From the camera angles, to the acting, it really is dreadful and 'been there, done that' throughout.

It is so bad that this is all I can say about it because it has already lost my interest.

$poons: 301.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
peter_griffin
RockNRolla

I watched this for the second time (it's been 3 months) and enjoyed it 10X more. This time I was able to understand everything that happened, and the characters are great.

Shame about the slightly anti-climatic ending.

Lock, Stock is still my favourite Guy Ritchie film, only because I saw it before Snatch and I don't like Tommy in Snatch.
Sinthesys

$poons: 58.00
hong_kong.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Samboy
?oe?oe wrote:
Up
A worthwhile ride in another Pixar magic cloud. Who would have thought an old man and a fat asian kid would lead a movie, but they do.

Seen Gran Torino yet?

GT: Da Herbalist - Keep on Choppin'
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
diogenes92

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Buttmouth
I Love You, Man

I just got back home from the cinema after watching this. It really is a funny movie. Paul Rudd and Jason Segel didn't disappoint. They made for a great duo. I did feel as though a couple of the gags were worn thin by the end, but overall it's a very witty comedy, or as the critics are calling it "bromantic comedy." It follows a similar path to your average romantic comedy: boy meets girl (or in this case boy meets boy), etc. Jaime Pressley and Jon Favreau are also good, and Thomas Lennon continues to impress after having me clutching at my stomach in 17 Again.

8/10
Benza

$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
tom00764
Terminator Salvation
I honestly don’t get the amount of hate being levelled at this film in reviews. Yeah it wasn’t as good as Judgment Day, but not a lot is, deffintly better then T3 (Wich I did actually enjoy) the action sequences we’re pretty spectacular, I really enjoyed Marcus’s character. One thing that pissed me off though is the trailers absolutely ruined the fact that he’s a robot, it would have been a great little twist for the middle of the story if you hadn’t seen it in every trailer for the damm movie. Another minor gripe was everything being during the day, it went from Terminator saying “It’s not safe to travel at day” to salvation saying “It’s safer to travel during the day.”

But yeah still pretty minor irritating for what was a pretty great action movie.

$poons: 250.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Yeah I saw Terminator Salvation today, it was enjoyable without being spectacular I thought. Had a hilarious individual in the cinema I was in though, I mean with all the abductions and carnage this person shrieked and gasp at every single.... door opening. John Connor asks to be let of the cell, door opens, female member of the audience gasps in fright. Halfway through the movie I was crying and trying so very hard not to cackle because that was just epic. Oh and Blair, is possibly the most awesomest character ever if just for the actor who played her; Moon Bloodgood. It might just be the nerd in me, but that automatically made her character superior.

One gripe I have though is with the sound effects, I wouldn't be surprised if the same individuals worked on bay's Transformers as the Terminators sounded similar to the Transformers in the dark forboding sense of the tune it was bugging me since I have expected Skynet to change it's face to Megatron and then scream "CONNOR!"
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Sin Ogaris

$poons: 1588.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Watched Suburban Mayhem today which is a bit of Aussie trash from Sydney. Really enjoyable romp in my opinion. It's full of sex, violence and swearing but that's what you're going into the film for. Basically the premise is this girl, Katrina, loves her brother so when he gets sent to prison for life for murder she tries to do everything in her power (which is effectively her allure to the men around her) to get him out on bail and goes to some extreme levels to have it done.

Throughout the film she continually throws off this parasitic vibe that destroys the lives of everyone around her and yet it's so damn hard to hate her. It's funny, I've hated characters for a lot less. If anything it's the guys that bend over backwards who irritate the **** out of me, even when she completely screws a guy over constantly, he still comes grovelling back. So bizarre. Great acting chops from the girl as well as the dude who plays Rusty, her boyfriend.

Anyway, great movie if you're into a grungy affair with your television and want an Aussie suburban drama with a bit of psychosis mixed in for good measure.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
El Taco

$poons: 301.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Dance of The Dead

A really enjoyable horror comedy that is probably going to go underrated. The story features an american high school on it's prom night, when zombies start to come. Standard story on a low budget that went straight to DVD here, which sucks because this movie RULES! The main reason is that is has a good balance of comedy and horror, it doesnt go over the top ala Shaun of the Dead's third act. The characters are so damn likable as well, and are not 2D. I really recommend this movie to the PALGN crowd, especially if you liked Shaun of The Dead, this feels like it's American brother.
Itachi

$poons: 70.70
austria.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
The last of the Mohicans

I really don't give a damn what people say this is a 10/10 Movie. Man i have never experienced in my life such a enjoyment in a movie ever. Like i feel like the last scene in the movie you want to get up and start screaming going YEAH YEAH YEAH! I don't know i just think the soundtrack is amazing and acting arghhh LOVE IT!

$poons: 27.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Saw Terminator Salvation. Awesome. Jsut so many explosions and special effects. Action non-stop, exactly what i wanted. The Australian is real good too, Sam Worthington, apparently the next big thing.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Macka
The Hangover

With all the massively positive buzz surrounding it, I couldn't help but have such heightened expectations when entering the cinema. I wasn't disappointed. It was a very funny movie with some outrageous situations in which these hilarious characters were placed in. Zach Galifianakis was the highlight by far in my opinion. Ed Helms and Bradley Cooper were also good. As for the plot, it was totally unpredictable and it had me guessing as to what would happen next. It's very entertaining. Although it was also well written and was cleverly tied together by the end. I can only look forward to the sequel, which is already on the drawing board.

8/10
TheAnswer

$poons: 1.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
diogenes92 wrote:
The Hangover

With all the massively positive buzz surrounding it, I couldn't help but have such heightened expectations when entering the cinema. I wasn't disappointed. It was a very funny movie with some outrageous situations in which these hilarious characters were placed in. Zach Galifianakis was the highlight by far in my opinion. Ed Helms and Bradley Cooper were also good. As for the plot, it was totally unpredictable and it had me guessing as to what would happen next. It's very entertaining. Although it was also well written and was cleverly tied together by the end. I can only look forward to the sequel, which is already on the drawing board.

8/10

I saw this movie today and I couldn't agree with you more. Zach Galifianakis was the highlight of the movie. The pictures in the credits were a classic too. Same with Mike Tyson singing.

Buy video games for cheap here: http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-3hy3-49-en.html
Macka

$poons: 405.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
The Hangover
I saw this yesterday with a big group of people and everyone loved it. One of the best things about the movie was that it isn't predictable - there were so many things that happened unexpectedly and were absolute gold. The best comedy of the year for sure.

8/10

Terminator Salvation
I'm a big fan of all things Terminator so I was always going to see this despite the bad reviews it has been getting - but I honestly can't see why. It never really "peaked" at all, but was just consistent throughout the movie with the non-top action.

7/10
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 1275.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Here's some mini reviews for my three most recent cinema visits:

The Hangover

Best comedy in a while. Zach was on fire. Haven't heard anyone saying anything bad about this movie. Go see it.

Terminator: Salvation

I saw this for free so I can't complain too much. It was better than 3 and nowhere near 1 & 2, as you would all expect. Decent story + decent action = decent action film. Nothing more.

Fanboys

If you have even a passing interest in anything that can be considered even slightly nerdy you should check this out. Very funny. Stupid funny.

$poons: 119.80
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I saw Land of the Lost. Was funny but I couldn't decide if it was an adult stoner movie or a child's adventure story. Some funny bits and quite random. 7/10

Everybody keeps talking about the hangover. guess I'll go see that next
mattstep

$poons: 408.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
More love for The Hangover from me. Checked it out last night. Hilarious stuff. Totally put me in the mood to have a massive night out! Highly recommended.

Also saw I Love You, Man last week. Also very funny. More in the vein of an Apatow film than the sense of hurmour found in The Hangover. Chock full of great cringe-inducingly embarrassing moments for the characters. And also had one of the best vomiting scenes I've seen in a long time! Great stuff. icon_biggrin.gif

ALL THINGS PILKINGTON
Sin Ogaris

$poons: 1588.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Only just got around to watching both The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man. In my own little opinion Hulk is still boring. I'm actually really surprised at how boring they can make this guuy when he should be the ultimate in smashing stuff. Oh and anyone who says this film is all about the action is kidding themselves, the first movie had WAY more action in it than this one, and it was boring too. I think Banner's story doesn't interest me as much as the lives of other superheroes, he's too angsty.

Iron Man, on the other hand, was bucketloads of awesome. The charisma from Robert Downey Jr was intoxicating, he absolutely nailed the role. It also felt more fast paced, a lot more was happening even when battles weren't raging on. Oh, and how ******* awesome is that Audi, I'm in love.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
diogenes92

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Thelma & Louise

I haven't seen it before. I'd only heard of it before, but I was shocked in regards to how it ended.

The cast was great, Sarandon and Davis were excellent. Christopher McDonald, Brad Pitt and Harvey Kietel were good as well.

Some scenes were really funny (Thelma robbing the store being the highlight), and then other scenes were really dramatic, etc. I'm surprised I hadn't seen it earlier. Kudos to Ridley Scott (if that means anything almost 20 years later)...

9/10

Bird On A Wire

I haven't seen this one before either. It's from the good ole Mel days and stars Goldie Hawn and David Carradine (whom is the reason I decided to give this flick a watch).

Carradine didn't have much of a role despite being the primary antagonist, so I was disappointed with that. His role was a mere caricature. But luckily it was a very enjoyable flick nonetheless. Some light humor and some fairly enjoyable, though dated, action. Hawn was great, providing much of the comic relief, and I loved Gibson's character in the whole hairdressing scene if anybody's seen it before.

7/10
tom00764

$poons: 25.40
guineabissau.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
El Taco wrote:
RockNRolla

I watched this for the second time (it's been 3 months) and enjoyed it 10X more. This time I was able to understand everything that happened, and the characters are great.

Shame about the slightly anti-climatic ending.

Lock, Stock is still my favourite Guy Ritchie film, only because I saw it before Snatch and I don't like Tommy in Snatch.

The film is meant to form part of a trilogy. I didnt think it was anti-climatic. So keep your allans on. Lock stock is pure awesomeness. Add snatch to that as well. Quotes from those are used endlessly between my brother, friends and I in daily conversations.

Also how can you not like Tommy?

Back on topic

Actual films i have seen -
Terminator salvation was good. Definetly better than t3 yet im disheartened by those negative reviews. Also dissappointed by the trailer, the reveal would have been better. It impossible to compare the first 2 films with this; they are cinematic masterpieces. Especially T2. Also some interesting homages to the previous films.

Wolverine Origins for me was a bit meh. I cant really put why. It had its moments but i wasnt really 'feeling' it. The cameo of patrick stewart was good.

Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus- as a fan of 'so bad they are awesome films' this was a must. This was a massive, awesome visual feast.
ObsoletE

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:15 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Year One
pretty much what you expect - Jack Black being Jack Black, Michael Cera being Michael Cera.
had some moments - highlight is probably David Cross as Cain.

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive