Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
E3 2009 Roundtable
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Brendan

$poons: 6.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:56 am Post subject: E3 2009 Roundtable Reply with quote

E3 2009 Roundtable by Brendan
PALGN Feature: We examine E3 2009.
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Phreakuency

$poons: 419.60

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the Halo announcements were show stealing.

A spin off and prequel right? And this after Bungie saying Halo was all but finished. Halo 3 was a huge disappointment for me in both single and multi so any new Halo game does little to bring back any type of excitement or anticipation.

I think 360 has hit it's peak and is on the downward spiral, while the exact opposite can be said for the PS3.

Nintendo have done it again though. They'll release one or two good games a year and disappoint their fans. Fans who I am surprised keep staying loyal after so many let downs.

But yeah, overall much better E3 and a win for anyone who plays games.
Azza

$poons: 117.80
ussr.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Yeah, Ninty's was a huge step up from last year, but still relatively lackluster, when compared to the rest of the show. However, I'm still peeved about the lack of a new Dune or F-Zero

Facebook | Youtube | XBL Gamertag: Comrade Azza | Steam ID: Comrade_Azza
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Macka

$poons: 405.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Buttmouth
E3 2009 was definitely the best across the board in years. Here are my thoughts from all three conferences.

Microsoft
After watching the whole conference, I was left with an unresounding meh. The only games that interested me were Final Fantasy XIII, Alan Wake and Metal Gear Solid: Rising, two of which we already knew about and Rising is multiplatform. Project Natal is impressive, but a long way off and in my opinion, it will be too late to the party with trying to entice casual gamers to the console.

Nintendo
Another incredibly boring conference, but this time there were some nice new games rather than the horror of last year's Wii Music performance. They got off to a great start with the announcement of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Then we have Mario & Luigi 3: Bowser's Inside Story, Golden Sun 3, COP: The Recruit, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M. Wii Sports Resort is also looking pretty fun.

Sony
Sony's conference was by far the most entertaining and the Playstation 3 is looking extremely strong for the rest of the year. Despite there not being too many new games announced, everything looks amazing. Highlights for me were Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, ModNation Racers, Assassin's Creed II, The Last Guardian and God of War III. Sony also introduced their motion controller, but like my feelings on Project Natal, it's just too late. Casual gamers are not going to pay for a PS3 just to get a slightly more accurate wiimote.

So after watching all three conferences, I have come to the conclusion that I need a PS3 and a 360 very soon!

Highlights across the board

- Golden Sun DS
- God of War III
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
- The Last Guardian
- Metroid: Other M

$poons: 16.70
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Macka
Buttmouth
PSP Go was the winner for me.

Halo 3 ODST looks like Halo 3. Yawn. Left 4 Dead 2, now there is a reason to fire up the old Xbox. I'm pessimistic about Natal. I need a control in my hand, if I wanted to wave my hands around like an idiot I would either buy a Wii or join a dance troup.

Same deal with Sony's Wii control substitute, I'm not a casual a gamer. Let me use the control that comes with the system. I'm not shelling out another 200 for cameras and controls and such.

Further to the point, Mircosoft and Sony have come to the casual party 3 years too late. You would be hard pressed to convince your average family to buy a 360 and Natal OR a PS3 AND a PSEye and Remotes. Most people would just get the Wii, it's proven itself. The only way this technology will get itself into homes is if it is demoed and explained to the common man extensively AND it is cost effective. If Natal is 250 (ie. more than the console itself) then forget it. A PS3 is already $700, price is too big an obstacle.
diogenes92

$poons: 35.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Nobody is surprised, shock, pleased by - not even a mention of - Final Fantasy XIV!?
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Macka

$poons: 405.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
diogenes92 wrote:
Nobody is surprised, shock, pleased by - not even a mention of - Final Fantasy XIV!?

It's an MMO. I'm not particularly interested in MMO's in general, but even though I tried my hardest to get into XI, I couldn't. I think most people thought the same.

$poons: 0.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Windburn
diogenes92
diogenes92 wrote:

I wrote a preview about it.

$poons: 131.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Not to fan the fires - but sony impressed most for me. Im not expecting natal to reach its potential for at least 18 months (so I'll care more about that next year E3), nintendo is offering more of the same (and only 3-4 titles = one per quarter) but with heavy rain, project trico, god of war 3 & uncharted 2 sony may have just convinced me to pony up and join the "next gen" era.

Having said that - with golden sun & scribblenaunts my DS investment continues to be rewarded.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ZeroX03

$poons: 775.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Where's the Tekken 6 love? icon_sad.gif

b+2,1 mindgames
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
diogenes92

$poons: 35.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Adam wrote:

You did too...

... But what I actually meant was that the announcement of FFXIV wasn't at all a highlight for you? I mean, it doesn't have to be, but for me it came as the shock moment of E3...
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Frozencry

$poons: 1628.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I think that it was a pretty massive announcement, but it didn't quite leave a lasting impression because it was shown for like a minute.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Jahanzeb

$poons: 7.40
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on who you are really , a Halo fan would be blown away by the new Halo games shown while a hardcore Castlevania fan would call Lords of Shadow the main highlight of the show.

so yea even if we all have our personal favourites, we can all agree it was a great show icon_wink.gif

Now Playing:
Sonic Generations
battlegrub

$poons: 9.20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Macka
Denny wrote:
I think that it was a pretty massive announcement, but it didn't quite leave a lasting impression because it was shown for like a minute.

More importantly, the word 'online' must have just about doused all enthusiasm anyone had for it. Hopefully they'll prove everyone wrong.
Mr Waffle

$poons: 32.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:32 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I'm not excited about Natal for gaming, but I AM excited about it for general dashboard usage- it'd be awesome if I only ever had to turn on a controller to play a game. Imagine- you sit down on your couch, say something like "xbox turn on" (or maybe be able to set it yourself- "xbots activate!"), then command it to bring up your movie collection, which you swish through with a gesture. Combined with streaming/downloadable movies, that'd make the HTPC market suddenly a lot more accessible to the everyman.
Windburn

$poons: 222.60
italy.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
diogenes92 wrote:

It depends.

It's still a bit hard to be excited over an MMO on the PS3 at this stage. We've been told it works, but so far we haven't seen anything in action, it's just such an unknown quantity, despite having a number of games on the horizon purportedly entering this field. We'll just have to wait and see.

Honestly, if it plays well though, this is right up there in my most anticipated games. I think I could manage an MMO on the console, and one set in an awesomely crafted FF world would just be heavenly.

Adam wrote:

Terrific preview Adam, it actually answered some burning questions I had, and even put some doubts to rest. A simultaneous worldwide release is definitely something to be excited about!

$poons: 1628.10
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
battlegrub wrote:
Denny wrote:

More importantly, the word 'online' must have just about doused all enthusiasm anyone had for it. Hopefully they'll prove everyone wrong.

Honestly, I think I'm one of the only ones out there who likes the idea of an MMO. Then again, I was a hardcore WoW player.

With the technology we have at the moment and with Squeenix at the helm with their experience in RPGs, we could have one hell of an MMO.

realitybites

$poons: 9.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I think I full into the pleasantly surprised camp.

The lack of chest beating through market share was gone and replaced with products and games (heaven forbid).

Nintendo responded to its lack of clarity around hard core gamers by opening up with a salvo of Mario and Metroid. Although the Zelda quip was typical Nintendo and I don't believe with their track record they will deliver a Zelda for the Wii next year.

MS conference special was enticing and Natal was definitely intriguing although not unexpected. MS have always portrayed their consoles as hard core so its difficult to see them persuading a non technical gaming population why I should buy this over a Wii and/or the very successful PS2. Apart from Halo most of the other games are available on PC or other consoles.

Sony's pre-E3 PSP Go was telling I think it took a lot of guts to do that but it was important because that announcement in E3 proper may have diluted the PS3 story. PS3 easily had the best exclusive game line up. GoW III awesomely gorgeous game (although I think I may be GoW out after PS2).

The game I still look forward too is Dragon Age I hope it meets expectations.
ManeKast

$poons: 300.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Final Fantasy XIV. Online. PS3 Exclusive. That and the 4 player New Super Mario Bros / Mario Galaxy 2 / Metroid combo is all it took to blow my mind. The rest I expected, am pessimistic about or just not that optimistic about until I see more (Natal, Sony's new toy, Milo, etc.).

PSN/XBL/Steam: ManeKast
Kudos to Fetidchimp for the sig.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive