Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Final Fantasy IV Review
Goto page 1, 2 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Harry Milonas

$poons: 82.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:55 pm Post subject: Final Fantasy IV Review Reply with quote

Final Fantasy IV Review by Harry
DS Review: A new Kain of paint for a weathered classic.
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email
David No.1

$poons: 87.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Nice review. Square-Enix really do love pumping out remakes/ports don't they? It nice sometimes... but doing it so often? I can say that I did enjoyed this game though.

Now Junkying: BlazBlue, Lost Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
RXWAG

$poons: 13.40
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
David No.1 wrote:
Nice review. Square-Enix really do love pumping out remakes/ports don't they? It nice sometimes... but doing it so often? I can say that I did enjoyed this game though.

yep.....they still haven't done a remake of the one most people are waiting for icon_evil.gif you all know what i'm talking about..

Selamat Pagi Bitches...
Cerebral
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 737.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Island_Wolf
Gtpod
Don't worry, I'm sure VI will come once they're done with V.

My play-asia affiliate link (I may as well be honest about this)
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
ittekimasu

$poons: 411.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Dropbear
Itachi
Why won't they remake VII already +__+ I bet it's their trump card when everything else gets stale >.> "shit, were loosing ground, quick announce the VII remake!" "boss our announcement just hit over 9000 in 2 seconds!" "what 9000?!"

$poons: 1140.26
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
i am up to the last dungeon of this game and it has been awesome. its the second best final fantasy I have played so far. the battle system, the characters and story have been top knotch.

now all i have to do is grind my way to a level that will let me win the damn thing. i have been overlevelled and powered the whole game then all of a sudden i need to gain 10-20 levels to be any kind of match for the final dungeon and nothing i fight gives enough experience to see any movement dammit.

check it
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
David No.1

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Cerebral wrote:

LOL. ^ Of course RXWAG was talking about VI! Its awesome.

ittekimasu wrote:
Why won't they remake VII already +__+ I bet it's their trump card when everything else gets stale >.> "****, were loosing ground, quick announce the VII remake!" "boss our announcement just hit over 9000 in 2 seconds!" "what 9000?!"

Of course its their trump card! Just look at Dissidia Final Fantasy, they've announced every single character up to 10, but left VII until last. Sephiroths been announced, sure! But where's Cloud I wonder? Obviously everyone's going to buy the game for 'Cloud'.

Tom101007

$poons: 99.30

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
as someone who only recently discovered final fantasy (something to do with not owning any sony consoles) this is the first time i could experience this game so the fact that its been remade is mostly meaningless to me, hell i WANT them to remake the games, that way i can play them icon_razz.gif

If you looked at the list of console i own you would swear i was a nintendo fanboy, but i like all the consoles, really i do...
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
RXWAG

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
David No.1 wrote:
Cerebral wrote:

LOL. ^ Of course RXWAG was talking about VI! Its awesome.

ittekimasu wrote:
Why won't they remake VII already +__+ I bet it's their trump card when everything else gets stale >.> "****, were loosing ground, quick announce the VII remake!" "boss our announcement just hit over 9000 in 2 seconds!" "what 9000?!"

Of course its their trump card! Just look at Dissidia Final Fantasy, they've announced every single character up to 10, but left VII until last. Sephiroths been announced, sure! But where's Cloud I wonder? Obviously everyone's going to buy the game for 'Cloud'.

actually talking about VII but i do have VI on PS1..haven't played through it yet. I must be missing out by the sounds of things icon_lol.gif

Selamat Pagi Bitches...
ObsoletE

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Island_Wolf
tbh, i don't really understand why people want 7 remade. this isn't coming from a person who doesn't like FF games, but rather as someone who wonders why there's such appeal for reworking a game many consider a classic already.
i guess i just don't see how any of the games i'd place on my favourite games would benefit, aside from looking a little better, and instead introduce more opportunities to "break" something.

i guess if you really want to hit the issue, look at remakes of movies.
rarely do remakes compare favourably to the original, either through the remakers missing the point, or the remake simply failing to capture the nostalgic value of the original.
sure, it does happen from time to time that a remake is better (see Ocean's 11), but much more often we end up with something that just doesn't compare (see The Italian Job, Dawn of the Dead, The Amityville Horror, Psycho, True Lies, The Omen, etc.).

sure, games are different to films, and there have been some very good remakes (REmake being a prime example) but by remaking, and updating, a game, it could change the very nature of the game. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes fits somewhat here. it's a fantastic remake, but by introducing elements from MGS2 into the mechanics, it is altered, and not always for the better.

do people really want to take the risk that it'll be done right against the risk that it won't?

and this isn't really a question of SE's ability to remake games.
i guess they've proven they can polish up games when they've ported them before, but rather a question of do people really want the supposed crown jewel of their catalogue changed?

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Benza

$poons: 119.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Itachi
Quote:
it does happen from time to time that a remake is better (see Ocean's 11)

OH HELL NAW!

Man that's the mother fucking Rat Pack. Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jnr, George Cloony has nothing on that.

I think people want 7 remade because of nostalgia more then anything, it's the first FF for a lot of people and really... really didn't age well.

Last edited by Benza on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total
RXWAG

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Itachi
^^hit the nail on the head, it was the first FF game that I played, I just thought it was awesome and I know a lot of other people think it is also, surely SE if they remade it couldnt **** it up. Just make it exactly the same but pretty....

Lets see what SE come up with in the next FF game...i just hope if they remake it they don't change the battle system from what it was in the original.

Selamat Pagi Bitches...
Benza

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Personly I think seven sucked, bring on the remake of 9!

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Benza wrote:
Quote:
it does happen from time to time that a remake is better (see Ocean's 11)

OH HELL NAW!

Man that's the mother **** Rat Pack. Sinatra, James Dean, Sammy Davis Jnr, George Cloony has nothing on that.

Rat pack aside, it was boring as f**k.
the most exciting thing about the film was Sinatra's jumpers...
RXWAG wrote:
^^hit the nail on the head, it was the first FF game that I played, I just thought it was awesome and I know a lot of other people think it is also, surely SE if they remade it couldnt **** it up. Just make it exactly the same but pretty....

Lets see what SE come up with in the next FF game...i just hope if they remake it they don't change the battle system from what it was in the original.

but see that's what i don't get. "make it pretty" but "don't change the battle system". you're already introducing areas where they could, concievably, fail to live up to expectations.
the "pretty" side of things is probably safe, since all FF games have been very pretty, but presumably SE changed and evolved their battle systems because they felt they were improving them from the previous game, but if this is the case, why wouldn't they then apply their "new and improved" battle system to the "classic" game?

and then, for every person who agrees with you, and doesn't want the BS changed, there's probably a person who would like to see it updated to the new system.

i just don't see why people want to see the risk taken.
i mean, i understand the developers motivation (Money), just not really the gamers'.

i have occasionally thought "i wish this would get a remake" at times, but if i think about it long and hard, i can't really think of a game that i really want an remake of. even if modern lighting would make Alien vs. Predator 2 more atmospheric, or open plan levels would make WarCraft 1 more dynamic. i think i'd rather maintain the originals, than risk something breaking en route.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Benza

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
See nah I maintain my wanting a remake of FF9, the only thing I liked about it was the charecters and plot, the battle system was arse, there were way too many random battles and forcing you into trance whenever the bar filled was just retarded.

Making it pretty keeping the battle system would be an improvement, making it pretty and updating teh battle system to not suck would make the game like 100 times better.

Also Ratpack aside? Man it's basicly The Ratpack: The movie, that's like saying "Xenomoprhs aside, Aliens was shit"

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Ahh... Final Fantasy VII. Everyone has an opinion about that game.

Don't remake a classic - just port it to the PSP, add some extra content, upgrade the graphics to suit today's standards (eg: character models - blocky hands.) and Square-Enix have my money. VII on the go would be awesome, and I'm sure people would buy it regardless! Its 'Final Fantasy VII'! Admit it, you would get it. Its like what they're doing with Chrono Trigger DS.

Benza

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
David No.1 wrote:
Admit it, you would get it. Its like what they're doing with Chrono Trigger DS.

I'm not getting Chrono Trigger cause it's a fucking rip off, I wouldn't get a port of 7 for the same reason.
ittekimasu

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
If it wasn't for all the yaoi and fan girls from FFVII it probably wouldn't have been as popular as it is. fact.

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Obs - i could handle a real time battle system but my personal preference is turn based...I'm pretty much in it for the story anyway so the battle system isn't the be all and end all....

Benza - I never got around to finishing IX not sure why, the story didn't really do it for me but now that you mention it trance was the worst battle idea ever!!!

Fine a remake PS1 quad pack (even though VI wasn't originally for PS1) VI, VII, VIII and IX selling for $250 would you all buy it?

Selamat Pagi Bitches...
ittekimasu

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I would've bought FFVII Alone. With the recent games they could expand the story and easily include backstory to each character.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ok, in case anyone here doesn't know, i don't like Final Fantasy games, or JRPGs in general, so in all honesty it doesn't bother me, nor do i really care as such if any remake of VII is good or bad, my comments here are really about remakes of games in general, it just happened to be kicked off by discussion of remaking VII.

i have played FF7 btw, it was a time when i young, impressionable and, most importantly in this case, easily lead by peer-pressure. everyone said it was good, so it must've been good, right?
no, i didn't like it.

so i guess in the end, remake it or no, it'll probably make little difference to me, since i doubt i'll get it anyway. afterall, if it becomes something i like, it'll probably stop being what everyone wants from it.

@Benza: true enough i guess, i suppose i just wanted more than The Rat Pack... like a plot.
(Ocean's 12 and 13 suffer the same thing wrt the new team.)

Benza

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ObsoletE
To answer your comments specificly, people probbably think they want a remake more then they actully do. The only games I can see being really worthy of a remake are ones that pushed the consoles too hard and were limited by the tech at the time.

Say Perfect Dark on the 64. Fucking awesome FPS but sufferd some pretty horrible slowdown at times. That level on the oil rig was almost unplayable 2player.

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
^^^so like you said before in a nut shell remakes of anything are cool
as long as they hold true and dont get ****** up?

sweet, group hug....

EDIT: above in ref to Obs, not quick draw Benza icon_wink.gif

Selamat Pagi Bitches...
ObsoletE

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
i don't really have an issue with remakes per se, good or bad, i just wondered what the motivation was behind them, besides cash, and the reasons why people are so keen on getting them, ESPECIALLY when the original is considered a classic in it's own right.

maybe i'm just pessimistic (or is it realistic?) when it comes to people doing what i want them to do, and as such, i'd rather they didn't break something that wasn't necessarily broke.
i don't really know that there's any reason for it either, since the remakes i have played have turned out good, even if i did mention MGS:TTS earlier, it is a good remake, worth playing in lieu of the PS1 version (with the possible exception of a major plot element being spoilt in the booklet - which made me wonder who the remake is actually for). perhaps it is more my love of film, and disdain of remade films, leaking through.

i guess the thing mentioned earlier about it not holding up today might be pretty powerful, since i haven't tried to play it since it was new, and back then it was pretty, just boring and bad (imo).

Benza's comment about thinking they want it more than they actually want it very nicely summed up many lines of text.
i wish i'd put it that eloquantly all those posts ago. icon_y1.gif

Cerebral
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 737.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Island_Wolf
Duckula
Benza wrote:
To answer your comments specificly, people probbably think they want a remake more then they actully do. The only games I can see being really worthy of a remake are ones that pushed the consoles too hard and were limited by the tech at the time.

Say Perfect Dark on the 64. **** awesome FPS but sufferd some pretty horrible slowdown at times. That level on the oil rig was almost unplayable 2player.

I agree.

For the record, I knew RXWAG was talking about VII, but I don't think it needs to be remade, and persoanlly think VI is better.

My play-asia affiliate link (I may as well be honest about this)
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive