Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Review
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Anthony

$poons: 3.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:16 pm Post subject: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Review Reply with quote

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Review by Anthony
PALGN Review: Answer the call again?
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
tbenton

$poons: 6.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Great review mate.

I just have one question though, does COD4 support 4-player splitscreen multiplayer on one console and system link?

If it does I think we've found a new alternative to Halo 3 at LAN parties, not that I really needed to find an alternative to Halo 3, it's almost the perfect multiplayer game.
Fetidchimp

$poons: 60.20

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
good question i haven' t tried but it seems very similar to CoD3 in a lot of areas so it probably does, not verified though
the doag

$poons: 27.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
This is the best game i have played on my PS3. Loved every minute of it and have been giving the online multiplayer a thrashing.

In terms of the graphical score, how close does this come to a 10. For that matter, what is a 10 (crysis, bioshock?)

$poons: 1.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
IISpacebreakII
Jellyfish
Why Palgn why?! I've been tempted to get this game since it came out, but have been holding back because a) I need to save some money for the pre/post-xmas sales and b) To much FPS is gonna kill me... Seriously, after Orange Box, Halo 3, Bioshock, GRAW2 and Chromehounds (i only got into it like 6 months ago), i don't want anymroe awesome FPS games... Bah...

the doag wrote:
For that matter, what is a 10 (crysis, bioshock?)

Mario galaxy? icon_lol.gif
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
BlackMamba

$poons: 38.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I dont really like war games but CoD4 is awesome . I just finish the campaign and loved it. Theres so much detail and the story is pretty good.
Passa

$poons: 0.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Puddingfork
IISpacebreakII
Deus Sceleris wrote:
the doag wrote:

Taking into account the Wii hardware, Galaxy looks awesome..

Good review, however I think the graphics score is too high and the lifespan score is too low. Just the multiplayer scores it 7.5/10 for lifespan easily IMO. In terms of visuals, CoD4 definitely isn't pretty enough to warrant a 9.5 (again imo of course).

Xbox 360 Gamertag + Xfire Username + PlayStation Network ID: Passa91
B3NBO

$poons: 80.80

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Great review but yeah, GoW still remains as the best game graphics on 360.

This is definately a awesome game though multiplayer will last for agggggggges with me, just like COD2.
teashades
Banned User

Banned User

$poons: 6.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I am surprised this review didn't spend much time talking about the multiplayer as it is definitely the best aspect of the game and the reason most people are raving about it.

To me it honestly felt like the single player was just tacked on. The story was cool and the missions were fun and cinematic but I finished it in a day and felt like it was far too scripted. And whilst that stealth level in the ghillie suit was fun, it felt like a training level and I was waiting for the rest of the stealth missions....

The multiplayer of this game however is brilliant. This is the reason I bought this game and it is what will keep me playing. Much better than any other recent FPS in my opinion.
Infested Jibbs

$poons: 1307.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Karai Pantsu
Spanca
The barely there single player is very concerning.I feel that games with weak single player but an expansive multiplayer aspect don't get panned nearly as much as what a game with a great single player mode but bare bones multi.Should be the other way around, single player can be accessed by everyone, multiplayer is big but not big enough imo.

$poons: 1868.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jibbs wrote:
The barely there single player is very concerning.I feel that games with weak single player but an expansive multiplayer aspect don't get panned nearly as much as what a game with a great single player mode but bare bones multi.Should be the other way around, single player can be accessed by everyone, multiplayer is big but not big enough imo.

Play it on veteran. You will get your money worth and the game will last a LOT longer.

I don't feel the game is that short..

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ObsoletE

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jibbs wrote:

i haven't played a lot of it, but what i have played doesn't really qualify as "barely there".

it's short, but not overly so. it's about standard length for an FPS these days (for better or worse). the action is definitely always present, and more importantly, it feels like a Call of Duty game. everything i loved from COD1 and 2 (i never played 3) is here in a new setting.

mind you, i'm not paying for it (i won store credit) so maybe that's the difference.

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Lord Haart

$poons: 179.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Wow, looks awesome.

How many players does it support offline in splitscreen? If 4, then I will get this for sure.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Kikujir0

$poons: 114.90
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I played this on pc in hardened, finished the game in around 8 hours (lotsa retries in certain parts, especially the part in the sniper mission where you have to wait for the Helicopter, was there for like ages).

Great story, good music and was pretty immersive. Best CoD yet imo.

And if it matters to you (does to me) the music was done by Harry-Gregson Williams who I think does the music for Metal gear solid series (2 and onwards) so you can definitely see a bit of resemblance (or hear) in the musical scores.

PC Gamer Pewpew

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jim Dash

$poons: 451.60
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Online mutiplayer is more than worth it. They have just executed it so well and it really does feel like a warzone. Love the upgrades and love the fact that I don't totally suck at it.

Great review.
Anthony

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
tbenton wrote:
I just have one question though, does COD4 support 4-player splitscreen multiplayer on one console and system link?

Yes and yes. icon_wink.gif

$poons: 209.15
ussr.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Passa wrote:
Deus Sceleris wrote:
the doag wrote:

Taking into account the Wii hardware, Galaxy looks awesome..

Good review, however I think the graphics score is too high and the lifespan score is too low. Just the multiplayer scores it 7.5/10 for lifespan easily IMO. In terms of visuals, CoD4 definitely isn't pretty enough to warrant a 9.5 (again imo of course).
agree with you on the lifespan part, not sure about graphics as I can't tell the difference too well even between anything on the Source Engine and Crysis, but I have never been a person who has been really into (or noticed) graphics

Unofficial PALGN Ventrilo Server 203.14.173.58:5704
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Lord Haart

$poons: 179.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:48 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Anthony Capone wrote:
tbenton wrote:

Thanks for the heads up... almost sad though, that's another $80 or so gone... icon_cry.gif

Ah well, it's worth it now. Today is my last exam, then it's 3 months of uni holiday bliss. And nothing fills the time better than 4-player splitscreen matches.

Starting to really beleive that getting 4 controllers may actually have been worth it.

EDIT: google searches reveal little to confirm there is 4 player offline multiplayer (coop isn't as good). Any sources?
tbenton

$poons: 6.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Anthony Capone wrote:
tbenton wrote:

Thanks Anthony, will now put this game on top of my "to get list". Sounds like it's thoroughly worth it. icon_biggrin.gif
Anthony

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:32 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Lord Haart wrote:
EDIT: google searches reveal little to confirm there is 4 player offline multiplayer (coop isn't as good). Any sources?

COD 4 supports online 4 player split-screen. I'm looking into whether it supports offline now. Check back a bit later! icon_wink.gif

$poons: 356.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I think I'm going to trade Halo 3 in for this on Monday, at least I know I'll play the multiplayer for this since the beta was so good.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive