Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Big Day Out 2008
Goto page Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
ObsoletE

$poons: 34.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
theory wrote:
rappers* ... Dizzee Rascal

never considered Dizzee Rascal a rapper - just a garage vocalist. i guess it's the whole british thing he's got going.

i actually quite like him - him and Mike Skinner are about as "rap" as i get.

My Play-Asia Affiliate Link.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
unlachs

$poons: 138.70

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
it may be a tad underwhelming, but seriously

it's pretty damn incredible that RATM are playing/are even back together

and for the record, half the people on this forum wouldn't have even born the last time bjork toured australia

and midnight juggernauts could be pretty cool
ObsoletE

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
NismoR34
unlachs wrote:
and for the record, half the people on this forum wouldn't have even born the last time bjork toured australia

1997 - i know because i took my then girlfriend, despite hating her (Bjork i mean - loved the GF, hence sitting through hours of icelandic warbling).

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Sin Ogaris

$poons: 1588.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Big Pete
Spanca
NismoR34
I think the main problem with this year, is that it's freaking impossible to top last year. Short of getting Jimi Hendrix or, better yet, The Beatles, they just can't possibly beat Tool and Muse and TBE and all the other ace acts of 2007.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
GooberMan

$poons: 127.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ObsoletE wrote:
unlachs wrote:

1997 - i know because i took my then girlfriend

unlachs' comment still stands as accurate though, doesn't it? icon_razz.gif

Regardless, I'll be checking out RATM, Bjork, LCD Soundsystem, and Battles. Really looking forward to Battles actually. If they schedule them at the same time as RATM, I'm going to incite a riot.

$poons: 10.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Quote:
From a business point of view it would make sense to hold a massive urban music festival along the same lines of BDO (Big Day Out 2: Electric Boogaloo?). Thanks to anybody who made it this far.

yeah that would be a great idea, kinda like the 'rock the bells' festivals in the united states. I think that the second wave of announcements might bring some more hip hop acts. I think that one of or possibly all (if we're lucky) of these artists could attend BDO 2008:

Aesop Rock (getting a lot of hype on mtv)

Public Enemy (were the reunion act for 'rock the bells' would be awesome if these guys came plus they go with RATM splendidly, plus who wouldn't want to see flava flav and his giant clock)

Clipse (not sure if these guys have been to australia yet but i would be pumped if they came along plus they have been touring heavily lately)
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
unlachs

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
GooberMan wrote:
ObsoletE wrote:
unlachs wrote:

1997 - i know because i took my then girlfriend

unlachs' comment still stands as accurate though, doesn't it? icon_razz.gif

hehe

but wow, 1997? i didn't know it had been that long ago...man we're bloody overdue for a bjork appearance!

guess we can't complain with 5 bdos and a sideshow! icon_biggrin.gif
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
manda8908

$poons: 0.00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:16 pm Post subject: big day out 08 Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
i was just wondering how much big day out tickets are?, as this will be first time going to it icon_biggrin.gif
Big Pete

$poons: 278.80
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
cost $125+bf, limit of 4 per customer per show EXCEPT Sydney, where it's a limit of 2.

As posted by Obs.

$poons: 0.00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ok thanks. i cant wait for it! just went and seen hinder last nite.
Klawrence

$poons: 86.40
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Only people id be interested in seeing is LCD soundsystem and Midnight Juggernauts, the latter i will assure you will put on an amazing show. But hell no am i going, i went last year, but i was working in the dough nut van as a food salesmen "soooooooo damn hottttttt!" so i diddnt get to see much. Free entry however.... very good.

Also Obs, Chemical Brothers are touring March 26th or something in Melbs, pretty sure they are heading over to W.A are you going to go see them? Iv already got tickets to Daft Punk on December the 16th and i hope i can get Chem Bro. tickets soon.

To see Daft here in Melbourne then Chem bro. early next year will be the perfect way to end year 12. icon_biggrin.gif

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
second round of of the lineup announcements have been... well, announced.

silverchair,
Spoon,
Augie March,
Brand New,
Regurgitator,
Anti-Flag,
Karnivool,
Carl Cox,
Pnau,
Kate Nash,
Josh Pyke,
beXta,
Shy Child,
Gyroscope,
Enter Shikari,
Operator Please,
Unkle (live),
Goodwill,
Krafty Kuts & MC Dynamite,
Die! Die! Die!,
The Nightwatchman (Tom Morello acoustic),
Blue King Brown,
Dr Octagon with Kutmaster Kurt,
British India,
Aceyalone,
Krill

so, all in all there's like 5 people i want to see, if i lower my standards. RATM make up for all the other trash though.

Spanca
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 106.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
On a semi-related note (with Silverchair announced): it's not in the media yet but you heard it here first. Daniel Johns has broken up with Natalie Imbruglia and is now openly (within the music industry, not the media) gay. Bit of trivia for you.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Bitchacho
i'm trying to phrase this in a manner that doesn't sound like i'm having a go at you, but i can't - just know that it's not directed at you, but the general way the media works:
who cares?

i've never understood the appeal of knowing what a celebrity had for breakfast, or who's sleeping with who or what car some soap-star drives.

Daniel Johns could like sticking his dick in the exhaust pipe of a particular 1967 motorbike for all i care, just let him do whatever he does in his private life privately, imo.

(again, not directed at you, i just don't see why it makes any difference.)

Spanca
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 106.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Well vast changes in his private life may, in part, explain why his last album was so drastically different and ****ing atrocious. Personal life can be a huge influence on someone's professional life, particularly so when they are in a creative field.

$poons: 1140.26
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I think i have a ticket for BDO as my girlfriends sister has taken my money and said her firend has too many tickets, so I should be going. Although I am a bit lukewarm on the whole thing to be honest. Although I am interested in seeing rage against the machine, although not totallly over the moon. Thewir first albums was, and still is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard but i just couldnt get into any released after it for some unknown reason.

As far as the rest of the lineup goes, I am looking forward to regurgitator, maybe silver chai not really a fan, dr octagon i am intrigued to see, and slightly interested in seeing grinspoon and hilltop hoods.

I was hoping the second announcement would bring more big name international acts for me but its a bit dissappointing really.

I am very dissappointed that I missed the tool BDO but I got to see them in 1995 for the aenima tour which was wild. My most memorable big dy out acts have to be:

Metallica
Iggy Pop
Henry Rollins
Korn
Marilyn Manson
Soulfly
Kamahl
Little Birdy
The Streets
Rammstein
slipknot
The Streets
Fatboy Slim
White Stripes
Dandy Warhols
Wolfmother
Nine inch nails (although it was a bit dissappointing)
system of a down
Peaches
definitive jux
limp bizkit

check it
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bonsai

$poons: 6.40
japan.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Silverchair, Augie March, Regurgitator (friend saw them a few weeks back and said they blew his mind), and last but certainly not least Karnivool.

Let alone UNKLE!~
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Sin Ogaris

$poons: 1588.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
No, I'd put down his last album being so different because he's grown up and he's not into the whole grunge scene from when he was a teenager. He wants to make the music he enjoys making and he's in a position in life where he is afforded that opportunity.

While there are a number of bands in that list who I really enjoy, they don't really make me want to go to BDO, seeing as I can see them solo for like 15 bucks.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
ObsoletE

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Spanca wrote:
Personal life can be a huge influence on someone's professional life, particularly so when they are in a creative field.

i get that, in theory, but i don't really see that us knowing makes any difference. i mean, do you forgive the "f*cking atrocious" material because you now know he's gay?
i don't see people sitting around going "oh, so that explains why his vocals are so high pitched this album". being a creative field, people are either going to love or hate it, i don't necessarily think that the influences on the artist will change anyone's mind.

anyway, i guess this is a bit off-topic.

if it weren't for RATM, i wouldn't be going.

Jim Dash

$poons: 451.60
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
ObsoletE wrote:
second round of of the lineup announcements have been... well, announced.

Aceyalone

Oh My..God! Aceyalone is coming?! Now I am officially excited. I wonder what prompted them to get an obscure old school rapper down?!
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
sEiFeR

$poons: 29.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
What about Spoon, Enter Shikari or Brand New?? There sweet acts. I'm not going as I'm half way on the other side of the world. Oh well, going to Coachella should be enough to make up for my disappointment.

BUY GAMES OR THE BUNNY GETS IT
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
unlachs

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
"i'm walking in a straight line....."
GooberMan

$poons: 127.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's another year and another review from me. There's random thoughts thrown in to this review too, so be warned.

Big Day Out 2008, Gold Coast

The Big Day Out. For close to a decade, I've been attending this festival, an institution of Australian summers for all but one year over the past 16 years. I've attended it in two different cities, but have desired to make it three for a while.

With this being my tenth Big Day Out though, I've been considering making it my last. I've been to more average or less Big Day Outs than good ones, and I have an increasing distrust of the event organisers to put on a show everyone can go to and enjoy. This view was reinforced by the fact that I needed to line up for tickets on the first day of sale for the first time. They sold out that morning.

I've been joking to friends for the past three months that I was going to die at this particular Big Day Out. Ever since I got a job back in 1997 and thus could afford concert tickets, I had been wanting to see Rage Against The Machine live. The last time they visited Australia before they broke up was 1996. I had every intention of getting in to that Rage Against The Machine moshpit and going batshit.

Death was off to a good start. I threw up on Friday night after some drinking and was still fucked the next day. By fucked, I mean "unable to sit up straight or stand for more than 10 minutes at a time." Sunday morning was better as I could stand up for prolonged periods. Still, I left much later than I normally do for the day and got in to the grounds at around 1:45.

After a quick wander of the top half of the venue to make sure everything was in it's right place (and to buy a few shirts), I decided I needed a test. My stomach was still pretty broken, so I needed to see if I could mosh. Regurgitator were due to start at 2:50. Perfect. I got in to the D barricade and waited in front of the stage for the 'Gurge to start.

While waiting, I got to listen to the Midnight Juggernauts. It seems dance rock is back in some kind of fashion since Muse released their Supermassive Black Hole single. You could dance to the Juggernauts quite easilly. Musically though, I found they lacked the charm or skill of classic acts like the Happy Mondays. I'd recommend seeing them if you've got nothing better to do and are sick of night clubs for dancing.

The 'Gurge took the stage the second the Juggernauts finished. Ben and Quan strutted out like they owned the stage. The entire band was dressed in all white and sunnies, fitting with their mocking and sarcastic tone. Regurgitator was one of the acts I saw at my first Big Day Out in 1999, and it seemed fitting that I saw them at the Big Day Out I've been considering making my last. Ben and Quan's naturan showmanship was still there in spades, which made the set as excellent and enjoyable as usual. I have not seen these guys put on a crap show, and I've seen them about five times now. Even playing songs off their new (abysmal) album didn't dampen the set. They seemed aware of the fact that, much like the headlining acts, they were effectively relics that could still rock out.

One of the things that was going through my head the entire day was that I'm really starting to become a relic myself. The 'Gurge pit was full of young faces that would have been in primary school when they were in their prime. As I mentioned, I've seen Regurgitator several times. In a way, I've done my duty. I've kept the music alive by raving about their live sets and showing my younger brothers and the younger friends of mine their music. Maybe it's their turn to experience the acts I love. Maybe I should make way and free up another ticket.

Ultimately, the day was about seeing bands that I had been wanting to see for quite some time. I've been wanting to check out Augie March since about 2002. They've done Big Day Outs since then, but I always put them off in favour of another band. This time, I made it a mission to see them. Unfortunately they were having many technical issues that day, ranging from a terrible sound mix to the lead singer peeling skin off his finger and playing rythm guitar terribly afterwards. I'm going to reserve judgement on their live shows until I see them without the issues. I will say however that Greg's voice is much more powerful live than it is recorded, even with a shit sound mix.

I did get to witness what could only be described as heart breaking for any band. The tent that Augie March played in wasn't very full for most of their set. When they started playing One Crowded Hour though, it seemed every guy and his girlfriend flocked to the tent to fill it. Once it finished, they quickly left, as well as some of the crowd that was there. I'm glad I got to see some of their older stuff live as I perfer it to their latest album (which sounds like they're trying to be You Am I instead of Augie March). I'd forgive the crowd if they started there and gradually left due to the technical issues, but showing up just for one song strikes me as insincere and wrong.

My plan to see Tom Morello's acoustic act, The Nightwatchmen, was defeated by a change in the timetable. Billy Bragg was playing in The Nightwatchmen's slot and vice versa. I missed out on that, but I'd be seeing Tom on the main stage anyway.

With nothing to do while waiting for Battles to start, I decided to explore the other half of the park. I wasn't going to go check out Lillyworld, but the set up this year encouraged closer look. The entire place was built out of cardboard boxes (and framework disguised by boxes). I've never gotten so many comments on the shirt I was wearing in Lillyworld than at any other Big Day Out I've been to. It appears there is a higher concentration of Mike Patton fans at Lillyworld than at any other point on the face of the earth, as it seemed every second person in there commented on my Faith No More - Angel Dust shirt. That was certaintly unexpected.

I made my way back to the tent Battles were due to start in and waited around. I'm also seeing them play at The Zoo on Tuesday. I'm glad I bought that extra ticket because I just couldn't take my eyes off them once I started. The drummer (John Stanier, Tomahawk and ex-Helmet) was front and centre, which is definitely not the norm for a live band. Neither is two guys on guitar and keyboard simultaneously. That's two separate guitars and two separate keybaords. To top it all off, they were dancing around like it was a game and quite simple to perform the complicated sounds that they pull off. It had the air of an improv jam session, but replicating the stuff they have recorded. I really can't recommend checking them out enough. I'm even shouting a friend a ticket to the show at The Zoo. that's how much I think you need to see them.

I had to pull myself away from them after they played Atlas though - which thankfully was their second-last song. The hour was getting late, and I intended to be in that Rage Against The Machine mosh pit. The D barricade system is flawed, and I've made points of why before. Waiting in the line to get in to it though reinforced those points. The Korn mosh pit in '99 wasn't that packed. Instead of just the one crush point up against the stage, they have to worry about the stage and the people they were pulling out of the line from exhaustion. I can see the argument for it - let only 5,000 or so people near the stage for example - but there's a logical argument against it - there's still 45,000 people on the other side of that barrier.

Thankfully, I remembered something I saw once on crowd flow. People to the side of a narrow entrance will get in quicker than those lining up in the usual fashion. I got reasonably close to the entrance but slightly off to the side. When they finally started letting people in, science payed off yet again. I was through that nightmare in a minute. Then I realised that I was actually through that nightmare in a minute and that I was going to completely fuck myself up in the Rage Against The Machine mosh pit. Ten years of waiting and squashed hopes later, and the hour was finally near.

But first, enjoy the acts leading in to it.

Silverchair are so much better when Daniel Johns isn't being a mopey bitch. The last time I saw them, I was really unimpressed. I only got to listen to most of the set and see the last ten minutes of it, but I came away with much better impressions than I did last time. Daniel was acting like a complete wanker, but it actually suited the atmosphere they were putting on. Next time they tour, I'm going to actually watch a full set list. I've been nearly converted.

The final act before Rage Against The Machine was Björk. I've had a spotty history with her music. I once said "I listen to Björk when I want to be reminded of how bad music can get." Over the years, I've started to acquire a taste for her music, accellerated by seeing her in the movie Dancer In The Dark. It was definitely the right time for me to see her live, as I think I'm a full convert now. The lady knows how to put on a show. Tribal brass-instrument playing ladies, lasers, confetti explosions, Björk dancing about and looking like she was truly enjoying herself - it's just something you've got to see and experience for yourself. The last song she did, Declare Independence, made me want to rush out right then and buy her latest album.

Disaster was striking though. My stomach, which took Regurgitator well and was reasonably well behaved all day, was starting to play up half way through Björk's set. I was dreading it happening. There was no way I was going to let it get in the way though.

The last three acts on the main stages are all acts that have been active for over ten years. The last two acts haven't toured this country for at least that long. I graduated high school almost ten years ago. This is my tenth Big Day Out. Rage Against The Machine will be playing in ten minutes time.

Now Testify.

Rage Against The Machine were, quite simply, every bit as awesome as I always dreamt they would be. Everyone completely fucked themselves up on that opening track, which was quickly followed up by Bulls On Parade. My stomach stopped becoming a concern thanks to adrenaline. I just went for it. I kept on getting closer and closer to the stage as the pit freed up of people who had gotten more fucked up than me. I felt drained by the end of every song, but renewed when the first note struck out on the next one. Zack and Tom were bouncing all over the stage and off each other, their energy on stage translating in to the crowd and vice versa. All good things must come to and end though, and after a fake exit with a planned encore the final notes of Freedom blended in to the first notes of Killing In The Name. Lyrics were changed to "Some of those that burn crosses/Are the same that hold office" and everyone held up their middle fingers while chanting "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me." It was every bit as powerful as I had hoped. It was evident throughout the set that the band truly enjoyed playing together again (especially when spotting Zack sitting up back during a guitar solo with a huge grin on his face), but it was put on display for everyone when they hugged at the end of their set. They loved it as much as we did.

I staggered out of that pit with a grin on my face too. That feeling I was having then was exactly why I love seeing live music. It's why I've persisted through average Big Day Outs over the years. I thrive off that stuff. Music is very much an important part of my life. I listen to far more music than I experience the products of my chosen profession, video games. I need concerts like the day I had to remind me of why it's awesome to be alive - and believe me, you need those reminders when you're bipolar.

However, I also have convictions that I uphold. I haven't quite decided on my future of Big Day Out attendance yet, but once I do it will be something I stick to. A large part of me says that I should only go again whenever there's headlining acts that I have to see and can't see anywhere else. Another large part of me reflects back over the years and remenmbers all the powerful live acts I've discovered due to looking at side stages and listening to the bands on the adjacent main stage. Then there's the part of me that wants to move aside and let other people who haven't had the chance to experience a good day full of live music to have their turn. With Rage Against The Machine finally off my "to see" list, that only leaves The Smashing Pumpkins as a band from my adolescence that I want to see and that can logistically still perform. In a couple of months, I'm sure I'll be feeling the same way I did coming out of the mosh pit that night.

That was my tenth Big Day Out. Maybe I should attend the Melbourne show next year just to make it three cities. Or maybe Perth instead, as I don't believe that show has sold out yet so I won't be robbing anyone else of the experience.
Big Pete

$poons: 278.80
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Great review Gooberman!

The day truly was one that cannot be explained while mind you it wasn't perfect it's how you adjust to it and truly make it YOUR Big Day Out.

I was able to see the following bands...

Something With Numbers
Operator Please
British India
Anti-Flag
Josh Pyke
Kate Nash
Midnight Juggernauts
Gyroscope
Dizzie Rascal
Spoon
Hilltop Hoods
Grinspoon
Arcade Fire
Dead Letter Circus
Silverchair
Bjork
Paul Kelly
Rage Against The Machine

So I'm incredibly stuffed but had a great time!

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
great to read these reviews.

i'm almost of the same mind as Gooberman going into this BDO - this will be my 11th BDO (though i've bought tickets to 12 - explained below) some of the bandlists have been woefully poor compared to the bands that toured on the earlier shows, but there have usually been a good 3-4 bands that have made it worth going
(Tool, Muse, Violent Femmes, The Streets in 2007; Iggy and the Stooges, The Mars Volta, Henry Rollins in 2006; 2005 was my lowlight lineup, only really System of a Down and the Chemical Brothers; 2004 was probably the last great lineup: Metallica, Muse, The Flaming Lips, The Dandy Warhols, Aphex Twin, The Mars Volta, The Streets, Peaches)

and this year, i am literally going for 1 band: RATM, as i mistakenly passed up the opportunity last time they were here to work instead.
there is literally no one else on the lineup i'm interested in seeing.
i probably won't even bother getting there until 6pm or so, just to take in the ambiance.

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive