Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Pre E3 2007: PS3 price drop confirmed
Goto page Previous 1, 2, 3
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
eviladrian

$poons: 8.40

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
So, the 360 is not too pricey and has lots of games, but will break on me and make me go through months of returns.

The Wii is cheap but has hardly any decent games (not waggle minigame compilations) and will probably look rubbish in three years.

The PS3 looks ok, but if we don't get the price cuts in Aus, that makes a $400 premium we're paying for the PAL version that won't play half my PS2 games.

Ugh, it's like a rock-paper-scissors of crappiness that stops me from buying a next-gen console. icon_mad.gif
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
legend166

$poons: 49.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I couldn't be bothered to reply to all of that stuff you posted because all that "wah wah not in competition stuff" can easily be summed up: Go look at Dragon Quest IX. The biggest non-Nintendo franchise in Japan was not made for the PS3 because of it's small userbase, and the DSs large userbase.

When will you be willing to call it? After this Christmas? Next Christmas? 2010? Because I can assure you at all those points Wii will have atleast 65% marketshare. At the absolute minimum.
SMASHED

$poons: 0.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
legend166 wrote:

When will you be willing to call it? After this Christmas? Next Christmas? 2010? Because I can assure you at all those points Wii will have atleast 65% marketshare. At the absolute minimum.

We can't make claims like that. You people should know how easy it is for a war to turn around, especially you Nintendo,Sega and Sony fans!

The funny thing is people say FFXIII like Nintendo is obsolete, but when both games co-existed on one console, Mario was the top seller. Alas nowadays we can't tell which one is a higher seller ,because the 2 co-existed on different consoles in recent times.

However I can say that during the 5th generation even though Mario was on the lower selling console, it still sold more copies than FFXII.

And despite SSBMelee being on the 2nd worst console during the 6th generation, it still sold roughly more copies than FFX.

So wherever this FF makes all of Nintendo fail topic came from can shut up and die.
DEJA VU

$poons: 35.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
boys chillout no need to have a fanboy argument price drop is there for whoever that needs it
SMASHED

$poons: 0.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
DEJA VU wrote:
boys chillout no need to have a fanboy argument price drop is there for whoever that needs it

Sorry if I seemed that way icon_razz.gif
Im getting a PS3 anyway so no idea why Im arguing.
YourmumsAWESOME

$poons: 3.00
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Man, I sold my left testicle for nothing? I mean, sure being the first to play...uh...stellar....exclusive-ish....launch titles before anyone else was amazing, (and the extra speed I gained from the reduced wind resistance was appreciated)...but....then they do this to me?

I don't believe in nothing no more, I'm going to law school.
Capoeira

$poons: 709.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
legend166 wrote:
I couldn't be bothered to reply to all of that stuff you posted because all that "wah wah not in competition stuff" can easily be summed up: Go look at Dragon Quest IX. The biggest non-Nintendo franchise in Japan was not made for the PS3 because of it's small userbase, and the DSs large userbase.

So about that PS3... It sure is expensive.

Say You Want A Revolution
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Cookie

$poons: 12.80

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Just the first of many price drops to come... Christmas will be an interesting period Im sure.
Crestfallen

$poons: 228.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Hahah Cap you always have a pic for the situation. Legend, you do make some good points but your last post suggests you didn't actually read Cap's post. You presented some pretty good points too, littlemo.

Anywayz, a week ago Sony said their production is now traveling without a hitch, so more price drops will eventuate soon enough.

$poons: 49.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
littlemo wrote:
Legend, I never claimed Sony took gaming to the full extent possible among mainstream consumers. What I'm saying is that Nintendo is trying to tell everyone it has/is doing this and most people are blindly believing their marketing hot air. The real numbers show that Nintendo has to sell 100 million more Wiis to make that claim and at least 60 million more DS's.

Is this possible? Theoretically. Have they done it yet? NO.

This is the crux of my argument. You can't claim to be expanding the market when your more than a 100 million units aways from previous install bases. So what "non-games" are selling (non-games is another marketing hot air buzz word courtesy of Nintendo) we all know that Nintendo fans will buy anything with Nintendo branding, and guess what, the only "non-games" selling on Wii and DS are first party... so this "expanding the audience" has to date been actually "Nintendo first party sales growing", and you know what, maybe that's due in large part because they are finally doing new original content instead of Mario and co. spin offs.

If they are merely making new content then all they've really done is reclaim their lapsed 60 million NES consumers... something you can't argue against purely because they have only managed to sell a combined 50 million home-consoles in the last 2 generations. DS selling a lot is hardly anything new either given that all their previous handhelds have sold like hotcakes so to claim this is some kind of revolution is overstating some pretty impressive sales figures.

To price points, you'll find the Cube sold very well at first and then died off without third party support and a series of Nintendo miss-steps; card reader, GBA link up anyone? Nintendo has a proven track record of taking a sure thing and cocking it up. Online at the moment is a joke to Hardcore players and "casuals" aren't going to muck around with friends codes when 360 and PS3 have much easier systems to use and lets not start on the genius idea of re downloading games because Nintendo is too profit hungry to give consumers more than 512 megs of ram for storage.

Further on price point, I never said that Wii couldn't drop in price what I said was they would have limited room to move. Sony is going to pick up consumers every time they drop the price, consumers have different price points where they perceive value, if PS3 reaches $400 and has awesome looking games and mass market peripherals that mimic or offer other "casual" experiences like the current SingStar/Buzz/Eyetoy series and Wii with it's overused controls, and sub par graphics is selling for $150 there's little Nintendo can do but release a new console because going sub $100 will make the system the same price as games.

Ok, several things.

It's basically a guarantee that the Wii will pass the GCN. For it not to happen, it would have to experience a drop in sales the likes of which we've never seen before. I mean, you'd be willing to say that the sales will stay consistant atleast this year, right? Going by those sales, plus the holiday boost, it will probably be up to 15 million at the end of the year, conservatively. So, for it to fall short of the GCN numbers, it would have to sell only 5 million units for the rest of it's entire lifespan. It's going to fly right by the GCN.

I don't think the Wii has to sell more than the PS2 to expand the market. I think if the entire market expands and the Wii ends up as the winner, it expanded the market. Go have a look at the UK sales for instance. Tehy recently record huge growth over the first half of that year that was attributed to the Wii and DS by ChartTrack.

Also, I think you're being completely naieve to say that Brain Training is selling only to the Nintendo fans. And the idea that Nintendo fans buy anything with Nintendo on it is just plain wrong. I can point to a bunch of Nintendo games that have underperformed in the marketplace. Brain Training as a franchise has sold nearly 15 million copies. Also, it hasn't just been Nintendo first party games selling. Well, on the Wii yes that is the case only because they're the only ones to have put out decent stuff yet. However, expanded audience games like Cooking Mama, Trauma Center, Professor Layton, those language training games in Japan have sold fantastically on the DS. The DS is also well on track to outsell the GBA, which is quite amazing considering it wasn't setting the charts on fire in the US until 18 months after release.

Comparing Wii sales to GCN sales is flat out wrong. The GCN sold 60k in it's first January in the US, compared to 350k or thereabouts for the Wii. It's similar in Japan. Have a look at this graph:
Comparison between GCN and Wii in Japan

In regards to the online and shortage issues - do I wish they were better? Of course I do. I'd love a great online system and good storage options. But we're talking sales, and those things just really do not impact on sales. First of all, I doubt the average user will ever download enough VC games to fill up the 512 meg of space. Secondly, if online was so important in the marketplace, the Wii wouldn't be about to overtake the 360 in total sales in a couple of months.

For the price, I've touched on this before. For a console to sell really well, I think it needs to be at, or around, the $200 price point. I think, historically, sales of the PS2 and previous consoles have shown this. The Wii is basically already there because it has the percieved value of $200 since it has a game packed in. If Sony were to drop the price $100 every year, they would not reach that price point until July 2010. Things will be well and truly decided by then.

The Wii, on the other hand, can sell great at this price point for a long time. Then, when it reaches the end of it's lifespan, it can drop to $99 and
sell to the same people that are buying the PS2 today because it will most likely have the biggest line up of games.

One thing I think some people believe, incorrectly, is that everyone who bought the PS2 will just migrate over to the PS3. 100 million people didn't just buy the PS2 because it was the PS2. They bought it because it had a reasonable price and the largest lineup of games.

With the "overused controls" and "sub-par graphics" comments you're just trolling, so there's no point in trying to argue that.

p.s. how the hell can controls be overused? guess no one will ever buy ps3 and 360 games because buttons are overused.
diogenes92

$poons: 35.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Sony (In my opinion) have created the best console to ever launch over the past years. Though it was supposed to be launched in November last year and I was so excited to get it for Christmas, Sony delayed it but it was worth the wait. I think that the PS3, 360 and Wii are all worth it. 360 is great for their many exclusive titles such as DOA, Halo, Project Gotham Racing, BioShock etc. Wii is great for alot of fun and even some exercise I guess as it gets you up of the ground and move all about and the PS3 is great for its included Blu-Ray player with another little pinch of fun with the motion senses. The 80GB is going to be worth the money.
P.S. I own both the Wii and 60GB PS3 and they are so fun...
(Another) P.S. Can't wait for the new PS3 controller...and GTA IV lol....
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
john_solids

$poons: 427.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
all 3consoles are still gonna be around till the next gen. they are all gonna do well and all end up having plenty of games. so stop arguing over them

Steam id: john_solids
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
genxevo

$poons: 233.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Capoeira wrote:
Nev wrote:
I can, of course, only speculate.... But given the recent "Touch Sense" announcement in PSM, could this possibly explain why they chose to package it with Motorstorm?

"Immersion promises that one will be able to feel the asperities of the road in the plays of race... but also small shocks related on the shiftings of speed and even to accelerations or decelerations."

You're definitely onto something there. It fits together perfectly.
I personally would be shocked if Kaz (or whoever) does not make an announcement about rumble during their press conference. It can't not happen. E3 is the perfect time to make a splash like that. It would be a huge PR win for them. Sony can't revisit the Stupid Ages this time around. Not again, never again. Rumble for Sony in '07. Believe.

any other ps3 early adopters feeling a lil screwed over yet??

look i like my machine.. BUT.. the fact that it didn't come with the emotion-chip even tho we pay more than the americans, and a new re-release will have a bigger hdd and a game and a possibe rumbling controller (after i just forked out 80 bux for one) within 10 months really annoys me!!

price drop is good, gets more buyers, more faith and interest by developers.. but doing it so soon condition consumers to wait for the better deal.. could lead to long-term losses
bucko_239

$poons: 1.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Gamesta wrote:
bucko_239 wrote:
^^^^OOOoOOOo i'd tap that icon_wink.gif

lol nah but seriously, AU$200 is simply not good enough. it is going to take a bit more to entice me to fork out my hard earned for the ps3 tbh.

I should hope you didn't buy a PS2 for the original price then.I mean come on, if they reduce the price by AU$200 then it will only $50 more than the PS2 when it was launched which sounds like a pretty damn good price if you ask me.

well, no, i didnt tbh icon_wink.gif
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
ittekimasu

$poons: 411.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
i'm not really affected by the price cut, i'm more than happy being able to see people who can now afford one and start to enjoy it.
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive