Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
The Darkness Review
Goto page 1, 2 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Chris
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

$poons: 15.60

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:59 am Post subject: The Darkness Review Reply with quote

The Darkness Review by Chris
PALGN Review: The Darkness is spreading....
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the doag

$poons: 27.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
A very solid score for this game, especially considering the underlying problems of the online multiplayer.

I was wondering if you will be reviewing the PS3 version seperately? If not, will there be any detail on the differences between the two. I assume the story will be identicle, perhaps the graphical and sound quality diffences could be noted?

$poons: 301.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Yay, A great review for a great game *thumbs up*
Karai Pantsu
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 29.06
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Wow, you really just did a number on my resolve not to buy this game until its cheaper. Reviews like that sell games, no doubt about it.

$poons: 127.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Quote:
But as convincing as each conversation sounds, it’s the voice work of Mike Patton as ‘The Darkness’ that steals the show. Sinister, menacing, intimidating, obsessive, deluded, disturbing – take your pick because all describe the haunting persona that flows repeatedly at you throughout the game.

I like you Chris.

Likewise, I think I might buy the game tonight. The review has definitely piqued my interest.
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

$poons: 15.60

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
the doag wrote:
I was wondering if you will be reviewing the PS3 version seperately? If not, will there be any detail on the differences between the two. I assume the story will be identicle, perhaps the graphical and sound quality diffences could be noted?

As far as I know the only difference worth mentioning is the PS3 version has hours more video footage (due to the extra disc space) while the 360 version is the only one to use a slight motion blur effect when looking around. If we get sent review code we may cover the PS3 version in a couple of weeks but seeing as they're essentially identical I wouldn't bet on it. Either way I won't be buying it twice just to review again anyway icon_razz.gif

GooberMan wrote:
I like you Chris.

I like you too icon_loved.gif

CurrentlyPlaying-MarioGalaxy,Metroid3,MarioStrikers,CoD4,Orange Box,GH3,PES2008
HeavenlySword,NGSigma,VF5,Ouendan2,Zelda:PH
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ugh the boot

$poons: 281.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Not a bad game and I have to admit graphics and atmosphere are top notch but the game is way too linear and I honestly feel that the subway system is very very shallow, there are only a handful of characters to interact with and everything outside of the main game are just small fetch quests, every collectible is a phone message that are very cliched and I got sick of them very quickly and the only reason i've collected them are for the content they unlock (which is VERY cool). I just think they could've gone about the whole collectibles thing a better way such as having phone numbers dotted around in signs and stuff and while they do have a couple here and there not all of them do something and I think the collectibles would've worked better had they been properly intergrated into the world instead of having pieces of paper with phone number lying around everywhere.

I haven't encountered a single puzzle in the game, it's all shoot lights, shoot baddies or creep around with the tentacle....the puzzles that do exist require you to spawn a darkling and that's it...the darkling will automatically go over to whatever and complete the objective for ya, heaps of times i've spawned a darkling for combat and after the battle I look around and he's already opened a door or gate without me even noticing and while this is quite cool it makes this game a pretty mindless affair, the AI consists of ducking and peeking out to fire, that's it, no rush tactics, no flanking tactics, basically no strategy at all....and while I normally don't mind this sort of combat in The Darkness it feels wrong because combat doesn't particurly feel special, the guns don't pack any sort of 'oompf' for my liking, the aiming/targeting just feels wrong (Jackie holds guns like he's retarded). I dunno....The Darkness has all the ingredients to make me love it but it just doesn't feel polished to me, it looks VERY polished but imo the combat, AI and gameplay are just too shallow and boring.

I am however only through a small part of the game (all i'll say is i've just seen a main story arc) and i've only got 2 darklings and the crawly tenctacle thing (which you pretty much start with) so hopefully picking up enemies and stuff makes it heaps more fun and maybe the later weapons and powers will completely change my outlook on it (I hope so).

I do LOVE the graphics, story, the set pieces and soundtrack are truly awesome. Jackie is really cool aswell because I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud in game let alone actually doing it a few times (the magic trick line when you talk to the dude in the train station is absolutely classic).

It's really put me off thinking about buying the remake of The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (which I never experienced on the Xbox....it just didn't look like my thing) because I have a feeling it'll be too much like this. As much as I would like a more RPG styled FPS...The Darkness doesn't do any of these things well....instead it ends up feeling like a mish-mash of gamestyles that were either rushed or left incomplete. The combat sux imo and anything outside the main game is so boring and thoughtless that's it's not even worth a mention. I'm more of a Max Payne guy so when I see this shooter set in a mafia style world I can't help but compare it to Max Payne and think about how much fun I had playing that and how disappoiting The Darkness has been for me so far....i can't name a single part where I was like "cool" except for the interactive intro.

Anyways i'll try and get somewhere on it over the weekend and i'll see if it changes my opinion on it.

It's funny cuz I think you guys scored Prey way too low and this way too high and Prey was more my type of game, I thought the combat was heaps heaps better (except for the infinite life thing) and the enemies were way more varied and fun to fight, also imo the graphics are almost on part with The Darkness (awesome for a game that's a bit older) and the puzzles....well imo there is really no competition cuz the puzzles in Prey were some of the most fun and creative i've ever seen in a game whereas in The Darkness they are some of the most boring and generic ones ever.

Wii Friend Code: ugh - 0264 5224 8589 9060
Ps3 Id: ugh_the_boot
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
LeonJ

$poons: 1868.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Holding off till this game is cheap (although it is $78 at Big W atm). While it looks great, too many aspects are putting me off.

Hey Ugh, is it as good as Prey? I loved Prey and thought it was one of the best story driven imerisive games at the time. I LOVED Tommy in that game and how is was going 'What the fuck is that!?'.

I'm not sure why they put in Multiplayer modes in these games. It's just plain stupid and a waste of time. And I hate when they link achievements to a bad multiplayer too (ie Prey has this as well).

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
realitybites

$poons: 9.00

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Really looking forward to this game but I have this feeling that its going to be one when it hits the bargain bins.

I didn't like Chronicles of Riddick at all. Absolutely no atmosphere from my perspective and the gameplay was just dull dull dull.

My style of FPS game is more the Half Life 1/2 and the occasionally blast fest like Halo. Should really get F.E.A.R while its cheap.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
ugh the boot

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
LeonJ wrote:
Holding off till this game is cheap (although it is $78 at Big W atm). While it looks great, too many aspects are putting me off.

Hey Ugh, is it as good as Prey? I loved Prey and thought it was one of the best story driven imerisive games at the time. I LOVED Tommy in that game and how is was going 'What the f*** is that!?'.

I'm not sure why they put in Multiplayer modes in these games. It's just plain stupid and a waste of time. And I hate when they link achievements to a bad multiplayer too (ie Prey has this as well).

Nah i preferred Prey alot more, but The Darkness isn't really my type of game so I don't think i'm the best person to judge. It really feels like that haven't nailed a single aspect of the game properly, like combat feels very loose, stealth elements control very poorly, the rpg or extra quests are so stock standard they aren't even worth a mention (talk to this dude and then talk to this dude....bingo extra mission complete! Wtf?!), everything just feels tacked but the visual polish is so high that it fools you into thinking the gameplay is upto scratch. Honestly it's like a mafia version of Call of Duty in a way because the only parts of the game that seem to have any substance or excitement are the scripted events. Hell any game where I can stop to watch a show on the TV and actually have more fun watching that than playing the game can't be that great....and i'm a graphics whore so I really should be enjoying The Darkness as long as it looks decent and controls well but imo something about it feels wrong....it feels fake and I quite honestly think it's WAY overhyped.

Prey imo was underated, people complained that they didn't use the puzzle elements enough but imo that's what made it feel fresh, if every room you go into you have to do the same thing to solve the same type of puzzle it doesn't really tax your brain but when every single puzzle is different you're gonna need to think about it and that's what I loved about Prey the most. I don't know who I like better Jackie or Tommy....I have to admit I think Tommy's little quips everytime he picked up a new gun was one of the coolest things i've seen in a FPS and I have to admit I just preferred it whenever he had something to say because he barely spoke wheras Jackie is a wise ass the whole game (but in an awesome way).....I dunno...they both have their moments but I think Tommy was better handeled.

One HUGE problem I found with The Darkness is at the start of the game before you get your powers you're running around shooting stuff and a voice talks to you like twice and then all of a sudden you've got The Darkness, it doesn't tell you why or show you how...it doesn't tell you jack sh!t...all of a sudden these tentacles come out from the sides of the screen and i'm like "what the?" and Jackie himself doesn't even question it, infact he doesn't say a damn thing about it he just gets up and goes about things normally but now he has control of these tentacles and these voices are now talking to him more frequently. I mean seriously if this happened to you you'd go 1/2 mad and you'd be saying things to yourself like "What the hell is this?", "What's going on?", "What's happening to me!", "ARRRGGHHHHH!!" anything....atleast question the fact that you've become a monster! I really found that aspect at the start quite crap and really doesn't help with the story imo....one minute he's a mafia hitman and the next minute he's some monster with tentacles but it doesn't phase him at all, i mean seriously it's like i skipped some invisible cutscene or something because i've NEVER seen anything like this.....I mean it's like making God of War without showing you how Kratos becomes the God of War which is ridiculous...it just all seems thrown together like I said, but in Prey Tommy's constantly talking to himself, questioning why things are happening or just commenting on what's going on and it's way more immersive because of this.

ANyways you really have to play for yourself because I seem to be in the minority about The Darkness.

I absolutely LOVE Halo 1/2, Half Life 1/2, F.E.A.R and all those action FPS but The Darkness i'm really struggling to like so proceed with caution if you're into the more action shooter, because this is more a stealth shooter.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
diogenes92

$poons: 35.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I can't wait for The Darkness on the PS3. I've been waiting so long for a decent PS3 game ever since MotorStorm and Resistance...
GooberMan

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Three steps to liking The Darkness:

1) Don't treat it as an FPS. You have guns, but they're best used on the environment instead of people.
2) Don't treat it as an FPS. The Creeping Darkness is perhaps the coolest game device (ie similar to plot device, but for gameplay) ever.
3) Have a sick sense of humour.

ugh the boot wrote:
One HUGE problem I found with The Darkness is at the start of the game before you get your powers you're running around shooting stuff and a voice talks to you like twice and then all of a sudden you've got The Darkness, it doesn't tell you why or show you how...it doesn't tell you jack sh!t...all of a sudden these tentacles come out from the sides of the screen and i'm like "what the?" and Jackie himself doesn't even question it, infact he doesn't say a damn thing about it he just gets up and goes about things normally but now he has control of these tentacles and these voices are now talking to him more frequently. I mean seriously if this happened to you you'd go 1/2 mad and you'd be saying things to yourself like "What the hell is this?", "What's going on?", "What's happening to me!", "ARRRGGHHHHH!!" anything....atleast question the fact that you've become a monster!

I found this to be cool actually. You're in a tight spot, about to be killed, but then this demon overtakes you and gives you the power you need. It's a pretty cool method of immersion actually, as you're going through the thoughts that Jackie would be going through, and experimenting with your new-found powers to see what they can do.

Oh yeah, the Romance achievement is the greatest X360 achievement ever.

$poons: 22.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
GooberMan wrote:
Oh yeah, the Romance achievement is the greatest X360 achievement ever.

Is this the "To Kill a Mockingbird" achievement?
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
GooberMan

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
nikack wrote:

Nope. When you meet up with Jenny for the first time, sit down with her on the couch. Don't get up, and let it all play out. After she starts to fall asleep on you, the bottom corner of the screen pops up with an achievement telling you that you've just been romantic. We couldn't stop laughing, both because everything was still done in first person perspective, and that achievement popping up.

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Tried to play it again over the weekend, last time I stopped playing I had just gotten upto the darkness realm, anyways I played in the darkness realm for about 1/2 an hour and then it basically got a little confusing in the sense that I had NO idea where to go, the draw distance if horrible and you have absolutely no idea what you're supposed to be doing! It was so frustrating especially after the rest of the game felt like a chore. I tried following this dark line along the ground but it would come to a part where the line would disappear so I had to guess where to go next (one of the most frustrating things i've experienced in a game from recent memory)...in any case I tried going all these different ways and it would just reset me to where the line would end!!! ARGGHHH HOW CRAP!!! Anyways after about another 20 minutes of this some straggler killed me so I turned it off....for good!

I don't believe in walkthroughs and I can't bring myself to fire the game up again so it's dead for me.

Thinking about returning this pile of crap! Starbreeze studios are frickin hopeless! No way am I buying Chronicles of Riddick remake, infact Starbreeze will be lucky if I give another one of their games a second look.

Honestly I would love to love The Darkness more but I absolutely despise playing it, the atmosphere and graphics are awesome (which is the 1st step in getting me involved in a game) but the actual gameplay sh!ts me hard.

The Darkness = HUGE disappointment.

I have to admit the 'Romantic' achievement is probably the coolest one i've seen on the 360. When I sat down on the couch with Jenny it was getting quite late so I curled up to take a nap (I usually do this when a game is running, helps set atmosphere/mood cuz I usually wake up a bit later wanting to play the game) and yea after about a 5 minutes of resting my eyes the achievement came up and I thought it was the coolest achievement i'd ever seen. I have to admit alot of the achievements in The Darkness are real cool, too bad the game sux hard.

LeonJ

$poons: 1868.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
That 'Romantic' achievement does sound very clever I must say.

No good hey Ugh? Hrmm, that is dissapointing.

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ugh the boot

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
You know quite honestly it might just be me cuz I don't think i'm really in the mood to be playing games at the moment (even though I actually want to)...or it might have something to do with me wanting Bioshock so badly. In any case The Darkness feels like a chore to me, the saving/checkpoint system is quite honestly a joke cuz they're either too far apart or never in a spot you need it.....also do you remember the dream sequences in Max Payne? Well i've found something that's worse!! The stupid dark realm is worse cuz it's not linear like the max payne one and you can wander around aimlessly for ages!

I would honestly try it out for yourself before making a decision on it cuz most people seem to be enjoying it fine.

I dunno...I think i'm growing out of videogames or something cuz i've had about 2 hours playtime in the last 3 weeks or so and it's not bugging me one bit (probably cuz there are no games I really want to play and the one I do want to play is pissing me off something awful).

Cerebral
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 737.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
GooberMan wrote:
nikack wrote:

Nope. When you meet up with Jenny for the first time, sit down with her on the couch. Don't get up, and let it all play out. After she starts to fall asleep on you, the bottom corner of the screen pops up with an achievement telling you that you've just been romantic. We couldn't stop laughing, both because everything was still done in first person perspective, and that achievement popping up.

And while you're on the couch, "To Kill a Mockingbird" is on the TV. icon_razz.gif

Too bad ugh, I'm still loving the game. In case you were curious on what you were supposed to do, if you checked your journal, it says there are some things in the hills that only the darkness can see. At the end of the 'line' where you get reset, is a hill with some trees. Activate your darkness powers and a previously invisible crucifix appears. Talk to it and you get the Darkness Guns. I bet you're kicking yourself now. icon_razz.gif

It didn't take me long to realise I was being reset, so there was obviously something in the area I was missing. That's probably the extent of the puzzle solving required in the game.

That said, the most frustrating part of the game for me was a puzzle in a later section that required me to summon a Lightkiller darkling to power a device. Why? Even though the solution (summon a Lightkiller) was the first thing I tried, the Lightkiller walked toawrd the device but never actually activated it. An hour and a restart later, I did the exact same thing and it powered the device. Totally lame.

My play-asia affiliate link (I may as well be honest about this)
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
ugh the boot

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
^ bah I hate glitches like that (one happened in Quake 4 very similar to that).

Quote:
It didn't take me long to realise I was being reset, so there was obviously something in the area I was missing. That's probably the extent of the puzzle solving required in the game.

I'm not gonna read that solution, but I figured I was being reset because I was on the wrong path and not because I was missing an item or a puzzle or something so i'll hunt around for something else I can do (which would be quite hard cuz I only really get stuck in games when i've exhausted all options) but if it means trudging around that murky environment blindly looking for a solution then i'll be damned!

Cerebral
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Read your Journal carefully. Like I said, you'll kick yourself when you find out. icon_razz.gif

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
GooberMan

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I actually loved the Hill, even though it gave me the screaming shits. I wanted to explore all the run down buildings instead of following the blood trail, but then the lightning would strike and teleport me in to the middle of some zombies and before I could turn around and eat them all I was dead. Excellent atmosphere in that area, with the lightning strikes blinding you and ghosts appearing in front of you randomly.

I found myself more lacking in direction when I got out of the dark realm. The journal was empty, so I just wandered around until I got the "kill the stalker" mission. Nice design decision too, apparently you can meet Jimmy the Grape again back at Canal street, but I missed him and found that guy at Fulton street which pointed me in the right direction with a complimentary mission.

The glitches in the game are a bit silly though, perhaps they'll put out a patch to fix them. I find it impossible to use the creeping darkness on anyone that's standing on stairs, and animation in conversations sometimes goes silly.
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Here's a cool glitch. Phone someone (a collectable or whatever) and when the conversation plays, click the right analog stick repeatedly. LEVITATING POWERS.

El Taco

$poons: 301.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I rented this yesterday.

I quite like it, great graphics and te start in the car is very cool.

I didn't like

-When you get your Darkness power, it jsut appears, no explanation or anything or how to use them.

-The Creeping Darkness glitches way too much

-Darklings are useless.

-When it flashes and teleports, its so annoying (in the hills)!

-Seriously the worse map. It's too small to read anything and doesn't tell you where you are.

-A lack of direction on where to go.

-Jackie is kinda of an ass, looks like one, and his mouth doesn't move.

-Storyline drags.
diogenes92

$poons: 35.80

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Hopefully the PS3 version will be a bit fixed up and a bit better than the 360 version then or maybe they will release a patch for the bugs and glitches on both Marketplace and PS Store.
Zarnoss
Banned User

Banned User

$poons: 146.60
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I quite like this game.

Have to say though once I acquired the darkness powers they never really got turned off until the subway hub etc. I always stayed in the shadows using the creeping darkness,so much fun!
I totally got lost as well at the beginning until I used the information terminals then it was fine sailing and didn't have any real trouble finding my way through the game even the hill parts where everyone seemed to have trouble.(probably because the darkness powers were never turned off icon_razz.gif ).

I still haven't finished it yet though and am pretty near the finale and also haven't tried the multi-player mode yet also.

I have to say though, the production values in this game are pure class though.Even the loading screens are great viewing and even death at every point in the game stuns you with awesome artistic scenes kind of in the style of the god of war 'flashback' scenes with 2D blurred into a quasi 2.5D kind of effect.Stunning.

I can see where it might not be a lot of peoples cup of tea though as you have to take your time and kind of mull over your surroundings and generally take it slow and steady (well I started on hard mode so I dunno it may be easier to run n' gun on norm/easy) but personally I loved every bit of it on hard the way I had to play it and I think that this is the way the game is ultimately meant to be played.

Can't wait to see what the next generation of graphics in games produce also as the graphics in this game when I was going up and down staircases in buildings looking at the awesome lighting and texturing I couldn't help but think of a shooter in the vein of something like Black 2 etc and how amazing games are progressing visually. icon_drool.gif
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive