Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords Review
Goto page 1, 2 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mark

$poons: 17.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:24 pm Post subject: Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords Review Reply with quote

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords Review by Mark
DS Review: The best puzzle game since Tetris.
[View Article]

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email
LeonJ

$poons: 1868.80
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Yeah nice. I'm going to get with on Live marketplace when it comes out. Looks like a great little game.

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Mark

$poons: 17.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
A PC demo can be found here for anyone curious.

Easily the most enjoyable DS game just behind Tetris DS, in my opinion.

Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email
Infested Jibbs

$poons: 1307.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Sweet review, i've been really looking forward to this game, but dvdcrave have had it on backorder for MONTHS!Not weeks, months, apparently their are some major supply issues, shame aus can't even get it's hands on a game born here.

$poons: 3.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Puzzle Quest gets my vote - despite not being much of a gamer, my wife played this for an hour or two a day for nearly two months. It's good to see this getting a local release, as the original US batch sold out incredibly fast (probably largely due to Penny Arcade).

A really nice aspect of the game is that, while it can get pretty difficult, you don't lose anything from dying in battle, which makes it much less intimidating.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
LeonJ

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jibbs wrote:
Sweet review, i've been really looking forward to this game, but dvdcrave have had it on backorder for MONTHS!Not weeks, months, apparently their are some major supply issues, shame aus can't even get it's hands on a game born here.

I saw it the other day in store.

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Infested Jibbs

$poons: 1307.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
^oh really?

Oh ok then.Well, the us version, of which dvdcrave only have listed, is still out of stock and on backorder status.

$poons: 1140.26
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
any recommendations as to which is better between the psp or ds version? is it exactly the same game or does one have more options?

check it
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
arbok

$poons: 237.30
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jibbs wrote:
^oh really?

Oh ok then.Well, the us version, of which dvdcrave only have listed, is still out of stock and on backorder status.

Great review Mark.

I think play-asia has a few copies too if DVDcrave have run out.

I have the PSP and DS version - and its a sweet game. I met the developers recently and ended up winning a copy of the game.

For my report on the night plus a summary of Steve Fawkner's presentation check out the following link, (near the bottom of the page). Jibbs you've already read it. icon_wink.gif

http://palgn.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=17429&highlight=
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
LeonJ

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Mark wrote:

That's a rather big call icon_smile.gif You mean most enjoyable puzzle DS games right icon_biggrin.gif You can't go past Ouendan!!! icon_lol.gif

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

LeonJ

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
nihilcreative wrote:
any recommendations as to which is better between the psp or ds version? is it exactly the same game or does one have more options?

I think Kokatu did a feature on this. I think the PSP pipped the DS from memory as the best verison.

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

ittekimasu

$poons: 411.20
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I have some interest in this game, I've yet to see it on the shelves but i havent been looking out for this game so its possible that i've skipped it each time.

that and i'm more wanting the second chapter to phoenix wright T_T

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
nihilcreative wrote:

Hey nihil,

See my link in the post above for more info on both versions. I've put twenty hours into both versions and there are very minor differences.

In a nutshell I would lean towards the PSP version.

The PSP has great graphics in comparison to the DS, more and better quality music, unlimited save slots for your characters, however has a nasty bug where the companions that follow you in the game special abilities don't actually work. However - so far it just makes the game a tiny bit more challenging.

Content wise they are exactly the same.

In conclusion I would get the version your girlfriend would most likely play - the DS is less geeky than the PSP to her so after watching me play for a while, she 'had to have a go'.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
arbok

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
slasherD wrote:
Puzzle Quest gets my vote - despite not being much of a gamer, my wife played this for an hour or two a day for nearly two months. It's good to see this getting a local release, as the original US batch sold out incredibly fast (probably largely due to Penny Arcade).

A really nice aspect of the game is that, while it can get pretty difficult, you don't lose anything from dying in battle, which makes it much less intimidating.

Hey slasherD - seems like you and I are in a similar situation, your wife and my girlfriend just can't stop playing it.

She puts in an hour or two every night now she's maxed out at level fifty, but the last boss has double her hit points and doesn't let up.

The beauty of this game is that you can play a game for 5-10 minutes but the leveling up aspect and storyline also caters for much longer play sessions.
Passa

$poons: 0.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
nihilcreative wrote:

Me and my brother have a PSP and DS respectively, and the game on both, and from my experience its extremely similar on both. It really comes down to the cost of each version, and of course if you enjoy playing stuff on the PSP's larger screen. The interface is a tiny bit better on the PSP imo, but ultimately its one of the first games with a direct port for the PSP and the DS.

Xbox 360 Gamertag + Xfire Username + PlayStation Network ID: Passa91
Skiller

$poons: 32.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
nihilcreative wrote:

PSP = Prettier and better sounding, but has many more bugs than the DS version including the companion bug mentioned earlier and a crash bug in the skills list. There are also occasional loads in battles and other areas.

DS = Much less pretty and sound is rather average, but it's not going to bother most people too much. The stylus for DS is far superior IMO, it's so much easier to play a quick game like the timed ones as you dont need to navigate to the gems you want to swap and it feels alot better. It's also more stable, not rock solid apparently, but I've never had it crash. The DS version also has the advantage of never needing to load (or more acurately the load times are insignificant) so you dont get interuptions to your game.

Personally I prefer the DS version because of the stylus, less bugs and no loads, but if you are a graphics nut or audiophile the PSP would probably be a better fit.
DarkYoshii

$poons: 23.30
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
arbok wrote:
I met the developers recently and ended up winning a copy of the game.

Ah, Dissecta. Was good for both of us. Still can't put the DS version I got off Fawkner down!

Definetly a good buy, I'd say that.
efo

$poons: 313.30
turkey.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
this game is sooo adictive when u close ur eyes u see the skulls there moving and ur trying to get 4 by 4s
efos brother

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
DarkYoshii wrote:
arbok wrote:
I met the developers recently and ended up winning a copy of the game.

Ah, Dissecta. Was good for both of us. Still can't put the DS version I got off Fawkner down!

Definetly a good buy, I'd say that.

Cool! - nice to see someone who went to that in these forums!

Who knows I might have sat next to you! I was sitting at the back and I remember two other guys at the back winning a copy. I ended up getting the last PSP copy.
deckard3

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Jibbs wrote:

I picked it up from them via their mail order site a few weeks ago. I don't think they get many in at a time so the best thing to do is to order now that way when it comes in your order will be filled first.
Hrysicos_Ho

$poons: 16.20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Me and my girlfriend bought our copies off ebay a couple of months ago. Its so embarrassing, I can't beat her, even when my character is a higher level.. lol
mirun100

$poons: 12.70
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
LeonJ wrote:
Mark wrote:

That's a rather big call icon_smile.gif You mean most enjoyable puzzle DS games right icon_biggrin.gif You can't go past Ouendan!!! icon_lol.gif

Even better than Meteos?
camds

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:58 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
This game is fantastic... I've played pretty much nothing else since I got a copy. Everyone I've shown it to is hooked... Even though the game could be more polished it's definately a must have title for the DS

-----
Friend Codes
MK:DS 3264-8726-4683
MP:H 0773-7915-1191
Tetris: 5742-2822-4692
camds

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Hrysicos_Ho wrote:
Me and my girlfriend bought our copies off ebay a couple of months ago. Its so embarrassing, I can't beat her, even when my character is a higher level.. lol

My wife has beat me at every DS puzzler ever made (except meteos) Not sure how she does it but she demolishes everyone she plays in Tetris...

My second copy just arrived... so I'm sure I've got some puzzle quest poundings coming.

-----
Friend Codes
MK:DS 3264-8726-4683
MP:H 0773-7915-1191
Tetris: 5742-2822-4692
sEiFeR

$poons: 29.00
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Why?!?! Why do you tourture me with these positive reviews. I'm trying to go overseas and save. But will all these killer games, I just can't win.

....Maybe, I can fake my own death and get some money. Anyone willing to help it would be awesome

FAKE DEATH FTW!!!

BUY GAMES OR THE BUNNY GETS IT
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topicsThis topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
-> General Forums, Archive