Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
hype, publicity, bashing... so u follow it?
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics†††This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies †††PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
†††-> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic
Metroid

$poons: 0.00
uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:55 pm† †Post subject: hype, publicity, bashing... so u follow it? Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
this is something im kind of pissed about, cause most people just fall for hype and so on...
for example..DK64 was hyped, but turned out to be crap...a first for RARE really..
though there are loads of such on the PS2.. infact i think - the ps2 sells on HYPE, as in the emotion engine and all that crap stuff.
it really pisses me off...
another thing, is that most mags easily dismiss a good game, or dont really review it- like digitiser- for eg.. waverace,and everyone jumps on the badwagon, saying its crap.. hello? i really dont think its the case. its a hard yet rewarding game! and its got pretty impressive graphics...
another case? Bloody roar.. JUST CAUSE IT DOESNT HAVE THE NAME.. TEKKEN, OR VF or those famous characters DOES NOT MAKE IT A BAD GAME... its very streamlined and makes u push WHATEVER THERE IS to the limit, n really thats quite enough depth.. when people say theres none, they really havent played it properly
a last case.. and my FAV.. the video for george michaels - SHOOT THE DOG.. why all the bad vibe? just cause hes poking fun at blair- who is all talk n no show, and bush, in reality a kid ..
i watched the video, and its really funny..im not a big fan, but i really hate when such things happen
lol infact im going to buy the single just cause of the video and to show that i DONT LISTEN TO OTHERS!
infact i think its a brill video too... lol.. take that u idiots, for making the public like zombies..we will not follow u icon_twisted.gif icon_razz.gif 8) icon_biggrin.gif icon_exclaim.gif
want to kill-->dixons and currys... the assholes cheat everyone.. join the revolution!
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Wet Jimmy

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:15 pm† †Post subject: Well.. Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Hype is usally just pretty lies. The best thing is to read as much hype as you can, extract the facts by finding the common truths throughout the myriad of articles and then make a decision based on those commonly occuring facts.

Then play the game and see for yourself.

Hype is exactly that - a series of words or pictures designed purely to get you excited. No matter what the game is actually like, if the marketing department is doinf their job, the Hype will make you want it. It's best to come to your own conclusions based on what you like.

As for Waverace, I'm one of the one's that think that yes, the sequel is crap, and certainly doesn't do the original justice. Waverace along with Mario 64 were the first two games I bought for the N64, but I won't be getting Bluestorm. Looks like Mario will be all alone.
SubElement

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:48 pm† †Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
If you look at the definition of Hyper you will find that it actually says that my meaning of Hyper is to be misleading... Thats why you should never get sucked into Hype...

tr.v. hyped, hyp·ing, hypes
To publicize or promote, especially by extravagant, inflated, or misleading claims: hyped the new book by sending its author on a promotional tour.

~SubElement~

icon_exclaim.gif Currently Enjoying: Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 and PC Games... icon_exclaim.gif
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cerebral
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

$poons: 737.50
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:03 pm† †Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Lots of kids at my school say 'Aw, Pikmin is gay,' or 'Halo is tryhard,', and I always asked them have they played the actual game. They always say yes, but you can tell they haven't icon_evil.gif

Sometimes I think that hype can backfire...

My play-asia affiliate link (I may as well be honest about this)
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Amy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:04 pm† †Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Which ones? OK I will say "yes but you can tell they have not evil Sometimes he or she think that hype can backfire" to you.
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Hyperworm

$poons: 57.40
uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:00 pm† †Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Hype is good.
Usually I know which games I'm going to get without it. I don't get swallowed in by hype. Hype just increases my excitement and anticipation for it for a few months. Most of the time, a game's hype dies out before you actually get it (in which case there's no problem, and it's good to have had the 'hype' feeling) or it fulfills the hype. I don't own many games that have actually been a disappointment.

I'm sick of the word 'hype' now. icon_confused.gif

$poons: 23.00

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:48 am† †Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I think hype is annoying, take Halo for example everyone was saying how great it was so I thought man this sounds like a GE beater. How wrong I was, it is no where near GE but then nothing in my opinion is so it is probably just me, although I did like Halo but not as much as GE, no sense of accomplishment beating it and no real reason to play it again after beating it on every difficulty, and the multi-player, well that is terrible, too open on almost every level, grab a rocket launcher and you can win every time. Like shooting fish.

Edit: Good thing some people agree with me icon_biggrin.gif

Last edited by armageddon12 on Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Oralfunbags

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:08 am† †Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
Fish in a barrel.
Metroid

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:45 am† †Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
wait hold on, ive played HALO alot, and i wasnt impressed
it was more like perfect dark in high res really...
i still think goldeneye is the king of them all... nothing can beat it.... NOTHING.... N-O-T-H-I-N-G!!! icon_lol.gif
want to kill-->dixons and currys... the assholes cheat everyone.. join the revolution!
Mr Funktion

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:38 am† †Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I don't listen to hype. I still have and play my Dreamcast even though it "failed" and people say it sucked, even though it is one of the best consoles ever to be released. It has great games from Sega, Namco, Capcom etc, and some perfect arcade conversions yet people go crazy for the inferior (in graphics and games) PS2 purely because people see the PlayStation brand as being cool. Yeesh, people who fall for hype are idiots.
tHeLiNk

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:45 am† †Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
yeah, 2 weeks ago i was talking to someone on the phone and i told them i'm not doing anything besides playing the gamecube, he says "oh, you dont have a playstation 2?" i said, yeah i've got one, he says "why arent you playing that then" i said because it gets boring, he says "why did you get a gamecube" then it got ugly.....

¬ę¬ę Virtually Created Forums
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hyperworm

$poons: 57.40
uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:45 am† †Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:

Vote:
I hate that kind of attitude. Some people should really learn to respect the things others like. Unnecessary bashing = not good. Grrr.
icon_biggrin.gif
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics†††This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies †††PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
†††-> General Forums, Archive