Home
Twitter
RSS
Newsletter
Ultimate Ghosts'N Goblins Review
Goto page 1, 2 Next
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
   -> General Forums, Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Chris
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

Status: Offline
Joined: 18 Mar 2002
Posts: 848
$poons: 15.60

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Ultimate Ghosts'N Goblins Review Reply with quote

Ultimate Ghosts'N Goblins Review by Chris
PSP Review: The long overdue update to Capcom's classic finally hits the PSP.
[View Article]

Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Infested Jibbs




Status: Offline
Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Posts: 5969
$poons: 1307.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
The movies of this thing in motion from gamespot looked HEAPS better then these stills....makes me wonder if they were the same game.

The movies ahad wicked transparency effects and all sorts of bells and whistles, these look like old amiga shots in comparison.

So much potential...the gba version sounds like a better(if not as good) romp and half the price to boot.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Chris
PALGN Writer

PALGN Writer

Status: Offline
Joined: 18 Mar 2002
Posts: 848
$poons: 15.60

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Screenshots don't really do it justice to be honest, especially the ones we had to use from Gamepress. Besides, te game is actually 3D but pictures just make it look (understandably) flat so it'll always look much better in motion icon_smile.gif
_________________

CurrentlyPlaying-MarioGalaxy,Metroid3,MarioStrikers,CoD4,Orange Box,GH3,PES2008
HeavenlySword,NGSigma,VF5,Ouendan2,Zelda:PH
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ultracrazy1




Status: Offline
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 85
$poons: 0.00


PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
You totally missed the point with pretty much everything you said.

The jump system is completely intentional, and if you'd have played a GnG game in the past you would expect it and praise capcom for not messing with it.

I like how you complain about how you don't have any options in the air when you need to adjust due to being surrounded by enemies and also say the early magic spells in the game are useless. Guess what? You're supposed to jump, panic and magic cancel to destroy the enemies around you when you need to. That's how you use the 1st spell in the game.




Have a good think about why you gave an authentic GnG game such a bad review. It's an AUTHENTIC sequel that fans of the series will completely understand. It's not supposed to be a mario or metroid game you.

I have edited stuff out, it is your right to disagree with the review but personal attacks will not be tolerated - Luke
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
DarkYoshii




Status: Offline
Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 788
$poons: 23.30
Location: Brighton, Victoria
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Man, pwned. >_>
_________________
Host on Australian gaming TV show Level 3
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ugh the boot




Status: Offline
Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 4908
$poons: 281.80
Location: Sydney
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
hey ultracrazy1 I agree with you....but you don' have to be so rude, the man's just doing his job. icon_confused.gif
_________________

Wii Friend Code: ugh - 0264 5224 8589 9060
Ps3 Id: ugh_the_boot
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
ultracrazy1




Status: Offline
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 85
$poons: 0.00


PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
The thing is, all these reviewers should have criticised the game if it was exactly what they wanted. If it was too easy, and changed the core gameplay drastically, then it fails. As it is, you can't ask for more. Games shouldn't be criticised for being to difficult, they should be criticised for being too easy. Why does new super mario bros get such great reviews when it's a total cakewalk? Cos it's fun?

Fun comes from mastery and overcoming a challenge. Not pretty colours and being told you've just saved the world from minimal effort. Are there any reviewers out there who were actually playing games in the 80s?
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Benno




Status: Offline
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Posts: 3186
$poons: 176.81
Location: Brisbane
burundi.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Chris was just giving HIS opinion of the game. By all means post your opinion but there is no need to critisize him because his views of the game are different.
Also who are you to tell other people what fun is, your idea of fun could be sexually interfering with animals but to others thats just wrong.
_________________

Mature.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Mark




Status: Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2002
Posts: 2408
$poons: 17.20
Location: Victoria
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:


icon_lol.gif Gold.

I haven't played the game, or any games from the series so I can't really comment on the review if it's correct or not. However, I do agree that many reviewers fall in a hole of hype and get caught up in giving out stupid scores when they aren't warranted. I think, in most cases, PALGN as a whole does give accurate review scores - unlike IGN who give almost every game that's advertised on their website a 9.

It's one of my biggest dislikes in video game journalism. People dislike games such as Titan Quest because it's too much like Diablo 2 (probably the best action RPG ever made). But how is that a problem? Just far too many reviewers get caught up in the hype, in my opinion, and I try my hardest to not fall into it.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email
Jeremy




Status: Offline
Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 3031
$poons: 47.40
Location: Sydney, Australia
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
OK, for one, I believe that ultra could have expressed his views in a much more acceptable manner.

secondly, is it ok for a developer to make a game where the challenge comes not because of your own fault but the limitations of the game?

Hell, that's exactly part of the reason why GTA pisses me off. Deaths occur not because of supreme enemy AI or an error on the players behalf but because the controls are freakin shit. Yet, GTA sells and gets rave reviews.

The thing is, GnG is the only game that you've played for the past 10 years, you're unlikely to see the relevance of such an arguement. However, if you're some who plays a crap load of games (I'm sure that this applies Chris), you are going to appreciate a game that has better underlying controls over one that doesn't.

There is nothing wrong with games being difficult and i like a challenging game. But i don't like one that is challenging because the developers are talented or able (or willing?) to make it play properly.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Infested Jibbs




Status: Offline
Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Posts: 5969
$poons: 1307.90

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
^Yeah Jez is right.Just because that's the way jumping has always been with GnG games doesn't mean it shouldn't evolve as gameplay of other games evolves as well.

Just because the jumping in gng is, technically, how jumping is in real life(despite jumping nearly twice your own standing height) deson't mean it's a great game mechanic.

maybe an option should have been included, old skool vs updated or easy mode where you can adjust the jumping a bit.It's one of the only games i can think of atm that has this broken jumping style-and even though it is staying true to the old school design, sometimes things should remain old school for a reason.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
ugh the boot




Status: Offline
Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 4908
$poons: 281.80
Location: Sydney
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
ultracrazy1 wrote:
The thing is, all these reviewers should have criticised the game if it was exactly what they wanted. If it was too easy, and changed the core gameplay drastically, then it fails. As it is, you can't ask for more. Games shouldn't be criticised for being to difficult, they should be criticised for being too easy. Why does new super mario bros get such great reviews when it's a total cakewalk? Cos it's fun?

Fun comes from mastery and overcoming a challenge. Not pretty colours and being told you've just saved the world from minimal effort. Are there any reviewers out there who were actually playing games in the 80s?


I agree man...the game is faithful and it gets slammed for it. And I also agree there are a few fanboys on the Nintendo side of things.

Also you guys thinking that the jump should be changed.....you're completely wrong! It wouldn't be the old skool gameplay if it changed and that's the reason the game has been remade!! That's it! No more to it! If you want an updated next gen Ghouls N Ghosts...go play Maximo!

Also comparing an aiming system that puts preference on pedestrians instead of enemies depending on whos closest is a completely different thing! The jump in Ghouls and Ghosts is something that you should get used to....it's part of the game mechanic. It's not unexpected where arthur's gonna land if you jump from one spot because it will be the same distance and height as always! Get used to it and you won't make the same mistakes! There's a big difference when something is broken as opposed to something working exactly the way it should. Respawning enemies and the jumping is part of the game mechanics. Arthur's supposed to be a knight in armour....not a plumber with overalls.
_________________

Wii Friend Code: ugh - 0264 5224 8589 9060
Ps3 Id: ugh_the_boot


Last edited by ugh the boot on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Luke




Status: Offline
Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 7926
$poons: 0.00
Location: Victoria, Australia
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
UltraCrazy I have edited the insults out of your post, as I said it is your right to disagree with the review but personal attacks will not be tolerated.

A 6.5 is NOT a bad score.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
LeonJ




Status: Offline
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 10312
$poons: 1868.80
Location: Grand Line
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Come on, 6.5 is not buy worthy in any scoring system.

I agree with UltraCrazy to a degree (not the way he did it of course). However the review clearly states that it is faithful and a fustrating hard game, and chances are if you are a G'n'G fan you will buy the game regardless. I mean, pretty sure the SNES version wasn't getting rave review (from memory).

I guess it's one of those games where if you are a fan you could add 1.0 to the score, correct?
_________________
Shin J Leon.

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ugh the boot




Status: Offline
Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 4908
$poons: 281.80
Location: Sydney
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
^ Yea well put mate. I actually thought the actual review was fine....just the low score surprised me. Maybe Chris should've said "add a 1.0 or a 1.5 to the score if you're a fan".
_________________

Wii Friend Code: ugh - 0264 5224 8589 9060
Ps3 Id: ugh_the_boot
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Luke




Status: Offline
Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 7926
$poons: 0.00
Location: Victoria, Australia
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
leonmc wrote:
Come on, 6.5 is not buy worthy in any scoring system.

I agree with UltraCrazy to a degree (not the way he did it of course). However the review clearly states that it is faithful and a fustrating hard game, and chances are if you are a G'n'G fan you will buy the game regardless. I mean, pretty sure the SNES version wasn't getting rave review (from memory).

I guess it's one of those games where if you are a fan you could add 1.0 to the score, correct?


I never said 6.5 was "buy worthy" I simply said it was not a bad score.

I refer to here

6.5 – 7: Above average. Minor errors corrupt what may have been a good game.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
ultracrazy1




Status: Offline
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 85
$poons: 0.00


PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Fair enough, I apologise for sounding overly abusive.

Jeremy wrote:
is it ok for a developer to make a game where the challenge comes not because of your own fault but the limitations of the game?

It's not ok, but that isn't relevant in this case. Its a jump we're talking about. Mistiming jumps is the player's fault. There are instances where you'll hit an enemy mid air that will alter the spot at which you land, but the game has mid air attacks that shoot in 4 directions, as well as surrounding spells to help you deal with it. The game is difficult, not broken.

Cheers ugh the boot for getting it.

This is not a mainstream game, it's designed for a particular audience and caters to that audience very well. The review should convey that it succeeds at what it attempts very well, but that doesn't mean any old gamer can pick it up and enjoy it. Look at how Ninja Gaiden received great reviews, but they made a point of saying a lot of people will be frustrated by the difficulty. Difficult games aren't broken or counter intuitive, or irrelevant or any other excuse you can think of. They're just difficult.

If the game was broken, sure that would be a problem. I think reviewers like to imply the game is broken when they have trouble with it. You're supposed to have trouble. You tried to rush out a review for a tough game and you didn't enjoy it. As I said earlier, you'll enjoy the game when you master it, and when that happens you won't complain about the bloody jump system! icon_razz.gif
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
LeonJ




Status: Offline
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 10312
$poons: 1868.80
Location: Grand Line
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Luke wrote:
I never said 6.5 was "buy worthy" I simply said it was not a bad score.

I refer to here

6.5 – 7: Above average. Minor errors corrupt what may have been a good game.


I reckon you guys should look at updating that game scale. Personally I think eveything below a 7.0 is strictly for fans only. The scores like it or not, are like an industry standard to a degree nowadays.

Well, not IGN. 9.6 "brillant" on anything vaguely hyped.
_________________
Shin J Leon.

XBL - LeonJ
PSN - LeonJ

Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ugh the boot




Status: Offline
Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 4908
$poons: 281.80
Location: Sydney
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
"6.5 – 7: Above average. Minor errors corrupt what may have been a good game. "

To me that says....it could've been a good game but minor errors corrupt it.

Whereas the review pretty much sounds like it's saying:

"7.5 – 8: Well above average. A title which is worth playing, but a couple of hiccups are met along the way"

The jump and respawning enemies are hiccups (depending on who's playing)....whereas corrupt means it's broken....which it's not.
_________________

Wii Friend Code: ugh - 0264 5224 8589 9060
Ps3 Id: ugh_the_boot
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Spanca
PALGN Moderator

PALGN Moderator

Status: Offline
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Posts: 7926
$poons: 106.00
Location: Sydney
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
leonmc wrote:
Luke wrote:
I never said 6.5 was "buy worthy" I simply said it was not a bad score.

I refer to here

6.5 – 7: Above average. Minor errors corrupt what may have been a good game.


I reckon you guys should look at updating that game scale. Personally I think eveything below a 7.0 is strictly for fans only. The scores like it or not, are like an industry standard to a degree nowadays.

Well, not IGN. 9.6 "brillant" on anything vaguely hyped.

I disagree. PALGN's scoring system is what has made their reviews so good. With the majority of sites their reviews are really on a 5-10 scale, where anything below 7-8 is fairly rubbish. PALGN rightly scores on a true 1-10 scale, where 5 is the middle, 10 the top, and 1 the most foul thing on earth.
_________________
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Benno




Status: Offline
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Posts: 3186
$poons: 176.81
Location: Brisbane
burundi.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Spanca wrote:
PALGN rightly scores on a true 1-10 scale, where 5 is the middle, 10 the top, and 1 the most foul thing on earth.


Then again theres always the ones worse than 1 http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=4258

HAHA
_________________

Mature.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Qbert




Status: Offline
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 4541
$poons: 209.00
Location: Guayaquil
ecuador.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
I used to feel PALGN scored too harshly, but now I love their scale. They don't conform to all this media junk of anything under 8 sucking. Plus, you allways have to read the full review, rather than just looking at the final score.

(non of what I'm saying is related to this game, as I'm not the slightest bit intested in reading the review, Sorry Chris icon_razz.gif)
_________________

Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ultracrazy1




Status: Offline
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 85
$poons: 0.00


PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Pfft. The game is brilliant. Play it for 5 minutes and its freaking obvious. Chris gave the game a bad score because he found it too difficult.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message
Sin Ogaris




Status: Offline
Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Posts: 10616
$poons: 1588.60
Location: Melbourne
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
Yeah, down with opinions, everybody just agree with ultracrazy1. The original game was nothing that special, the remake (I'm assuming seeing as it sounds like it'll be EXACTLY the same) probably isn't either. This is my opinion, you don't like it, build a bridge.
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
slapshakle




Status: Offline
Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 2845
$poons: 398.50
Location: Victoria
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score:
0

Vote:
This is like the whole FFXI review all over again ( The comments, not the actual review )

Don't forget, its Chris's opinion of the game. He can say what he likes.
_________________

PlayAsia Affiliate
Back to top
Trade $poons with user View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    PAL Gaming Network Forum Index
   -> General Forums, Archive
All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2 Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to: 
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum