Yesterday, we reported that the upcoming issue of the US magazine GamePro claimed that a third instalment in the Soul Calibur series was revealed, and was also being exclusively launched to the PS2. Although PALGN was slightly sceptical of the report, it's been revealed today that Namco has confirmed Soul Calibur 3 will be released exclusively on the PS2 in 2005. No specific date was revealed. To which we say: Bah.
In addition to this, we can also reveal the currently confirmed modes that are expected to be featured in the game. Like previously mentioned, there will be a Character Creation Mode, which allows players to customise appearance, weapons and roles of a character, as well as the Museum Mode, which allows players to check items obtained in the game and view the history of the Soul Calibur series. In addition to this, the following modes were also confirmed:
- - Story Mode: Offers stories of 'great depth', unique to each character. Though if the previous games in the franchise are an indication, 'great depth' is probably being kind.
- Lost Chronicle Mode: Offers the hybrid combination of combat strategy simulation and fighting game elements.
- Soul Arena Mode: Offers rich variations of battles in special situations.
- World Competition Mode: Offers world championship battles against virtual tough contestants, all aiming for the top.
- VS Standard Mode: 2-Player fighting mode which offers a quick battle.
- VS Special Mode: 2-Player fighting mode with rich variations of battles features and special situations.
- VS Competition Mode: Single to multi-player mode, offering knockout tournaments and league competitions.
- Practice Mode: Offers training facilities where players can sharpen their skills.
Not only that, but three new characters have also been revealed. Descriptions Namco's own, by the way:
This mysterious man desires to raise the evil sword. Drags those who witness the sharp light from his giant scythe to the abyss of death.
An angel of death from the darkness with a bird-like grace, she plays with lives using her Ring Blade.
The wandering beauty on a lonely journey. She lives for her revenge with a sword hidden in her umbrella.
Alas, Namco have yet to comment on their decision to bring the game exclusively to the PS2 console, and not the Gamecube and Xbox consoles. In the meantime, be sure to checkout the latest screenshots via our media panel, and be sure to watch this space as new information becomes available.